VOGONS

Reply 40 of 47, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@TexElec: Just saw the LGR review... something need to be added on this card and you can take all my money and shut up : digital output from opl3

For the future revisions:
Hardware volume mixer
Compatibility issue (detection)
Dual opl2/opl3 option ?

Last edited by DjLc on 2018-03-21, 08:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 47, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to buy PCB only ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 43 of 47, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one of these now and I really like it, very noise free as promised. Perhaps a silly question, but would it be possible to run it in tandem with a SB16? So the resound plays the FM music and SB16 is used for sound effects?

Reply 44 of 47, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pojo wrote:

I have one of these now and I really like it, very noise free as promised. Perhaps a silly question, but would it be possible to run it in tandem with a SB16? So the resound plays the FM music and SB16 is used for sound effects?

For AdLib/OPL2, strictly speaking: no.
That's because AdLib is hardwired to port 388h, so technically you'd get a conflict with both chips.
OPL3 on a SoundBlaster is done via the base address... So you could set the Resound to base address 220h, and the SB16 to 240h, and it will work.

Unofficially however... since both cards have a real OPL3 chip, they would have the exact same timings. That means that it *might* work if both cards are set to the same address, because both chips will respond exactly the same to reads/writes anyway. Then you could just mute the FM on the SB16 mixer, and mix the Resound FM sound in via the line-in.
Perhaps someone who already has an SB16 and Resound could test that.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 45 of 47, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scali wrote:

Unofficially however... since both cards have a real OPL3 chip, they would have the exact same timings. That means that it *might* work if both cards are set to the same address, because both chips will respond exactly the same to reads/writes anyway. Then you could just mute the FM on the SB16 mixer, and mix the Resound FM sound in via the line-in.
Perhaps someone who already has an SB16 and Resound could test that.

Well I have both, so I can give it a go. 😀

Reply 46 of 47, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a quick test, and it seems the cards can co-exist in some cases.

Worked with FM from Resound and SFX from SB16:
* Warcraft
* Sam & Max

Games that didn't work:
* Tempest 2000 (only FM music)

Reply 47 of 47, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@TexElec

I would consider getting this card for my PC if you added the 2 Philips SAA1099 PSG Chips from the Gameblaster and older Sound Blaster Cards to the card in a new version. Each of the 2 SAA1099 chips has 2 audio outputs per chip. This means a better quadraphonic SB16 can be made. In addition to this, in that same new version, I wish you would replace the YMF262 and its DACs on your card with the YMF297/OPN4 FM Chip, which is an OPN3/OPL3-LV hybrid, and use it with the companion YAC516/YAC513 DACs to increase energy efficiency, and allow support for the Japanese Windows 9x/2K games that use the PC9821 OPN3/YMF288 Sound Chip (which has an internal PSG and is integrated into the OPN4 alongside the YMF289 low voltage OPL3 used to make the OPL4, in the same pin-compatible package as the YMF289. Sadly, the 2 parts of the chip cannot be used at the same time.) Like the other chips Yamaha made for x86, the YMF297 chip is still made. I hope version 2 of the card will use these chips.

Thanks for creating this card.

Best regards,

St. GIGA

I'm Nonbinary and neurodivergent.
I use they/them. It can also be written as ᵺ㏟.