VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here is nothing wrong with dreaming so...

This is a great question to all of you. i was going to put a lower price but since prices are going up every time i see i kept it like that..
If you had $5.000 dollars to buy kick ass retro hardware, what would you buy?

these i my choices:

- one of those really expensive biostar 486 motherboards with pci, i think it was BIOSTAR MB-8433UUD
- A voodooo 5 videocard...maybe pci because it is worth a lot more than agp
- A gravis ultrasound
- One of those soundblaster AWE32 (the ones that have a long pcb)
- An IBM model M keyboard, but specifically the MODEL M hat does not have the number keys on the right (shrink model)
- Lots of Simm memory, EDO and FPM (32meg sticks or 64 meg sticks)
- Mouse? one of those PS1 mouses and a very old genius 3 button mouse.
- a big SONY CRT monitor , 20inch
- A supersocket7 motheboard, don´t know what model yet.
- An aureal vortex2
- retro case? its difficult to think of one because they were all the same from china cheap plastic that yellowed.
- CD-rom ...one of the older model that had the case that you needed to take out.
- Speakers... oh yea, cambridge soundworks
- cache memory?
- a geforce 59000 ultra
- a k6-2+ cpu
- an adlib soundcard
- a roland mt-32

can´t think of any more things i wished to have

Reply 1 of 67, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm with you on the Roland MT-32, wouldn't mind owning a few different midi units, but I'd be pretty boring and just collect more Packard Bell gear, mainly I'd throw it all at whoever I could in order to get a Spectria. 🤣

Spectria-610-AN.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 67, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that pc looks awesome, the last time i saw one like that was probably in 1997, and it was a compaq, that had a tv-tuner and i was blown away to see a pc that was also a tv and had a remote control. Fantastic era where compaq actually did awesome stuff, till hp bought it and ruined it.

Reply 3 of 67, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A fully upgraded Amiga 1200 and a furia for my 600. Plus a couple of AT desktop cases.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 67, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don’t need too many things, so:

- ATI Rage 128 16MB

- Nvidia GeForce 256 64MB DDR

- 3D Prophet Kyro 2 4500 64MB

- High end 486 system

- 3Dfx Voodoo 1 4MB

- ATI Radeon 8500

Probably other stuff I can’t think of.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 5 of 67, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't spend $5000 on hardware that I'd actually use. I'd "invest" in unobtainium parts like a boxed Adlib Gold, or maybe something like an Apple Lisa, Commodore 65 or Altair.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 67, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good question!

Given where I'm at in the timeline of collecting, there isn't a lot I want, but the things that would be in reach are:

- Mac 128k
- Apple IIGS
- desoldering gun and loads of decent capacitors
- software and games (too numerous to list)

Reply 7 of 67, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:
Good question! […]
Show full quote

Good question!

Given where I'm at in the timeline of collecting, there isn't a lot I want, but the things that would be in reach are:

- Mac 128k
- Apple IIGS
- desoldering gun and loads of decent capacitors
- software and games (too numerous to list)

hahahhahhaah
you know, desoldering gun is one of those things that i always wanted but could not buy because of its price. I feel the pain of trying to replace capacitors, i completely feel the pain.
to take out the capacitor is actually very simple and easy, you have to put extra solder touch both legs, and on the back you pull the old cap away.

But once the holes are covered with solder...... pain, its just pain and more pain to get it out.
there has been times that i did extreme and risky measures like inserting a needle on the hole while it has been heated (you can risk on ruining the pad or lifting the pad), because the desoldering wire did not work to take it all out.

Reply 8 of 67, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe a nicely-built 486 and I'd spend the remaining $4800 on 3 months' rent, food, & insurance. 😀

...okay, scratch that, I'd totally blow it on a Virtuality 2000SU.

virtuality_cs1000-e1414918950277.jpg

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 67, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, every Japanese micro I could name off the top of my head (MSX2+, X68000, PC-88, PC-98, FM-7, X1, FM Towns)

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 11 of 67, by IAmJefferson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

iMac G3 and G4, a 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 (either the AGP or the PCI Mac versions), five pre-built PCs (Pentium MMX-based, Pentium II-based, Pentium III-based, Pentium 4-based and Core2Duo-based), IBM ThinkPad 770E or 770X, and a bunch of rare ISA/PCI cards. Also, not to mention the GeForce4 Ti4600 and GeForce FX Ultra cards as well as ATi Radeon 9700/9800 series of graphics cards.

Last edited by IAmJefferson on 2018-04-11, 10:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 67, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An Amiga 4000 filled to the brim with accelerators and whatnot. I would then use the rest of the budget to buy as many Commodore CRT monitors and spare parts as I can find - one can never have enough spares.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 15 of 67, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElementalChaos wrote:

For me, every Japanese micro I could name off the top of my head (MSX2+, X68000, PC-88, PC-98, FM-7, X1, FM Towns)

Yeah, I could go for an XVI and/or X68030, PC-88VA, Turbo-R, and also some battery packs for the NEC Versa S820.

Maybe this is further into the fantasy realm, but I always wanted to try a Cyrix III Joshua...

Reply 16 of 67, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Card Reader
5.25 floppy and floppy drive
xtreme gamer audio card fatality edition
tv turner
Creative 3d blaster PCI CT6240 or CT6260
Creative 3d blaster VLB CT6200
Nvidia NV1 Video CARD
Paradise Tasmania 3d
Matrox Millenium g200
ATI Radeon 8500

And of course i will pay money to freelancers so they make emulators & wrappers i want =)

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 17 of 67, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Working NexGen VL & PCI setups
GUS Extreme
MT-32
Some compact DEC Alpha (maybe the Multia)
A black Model M (or three...)

That would probably leave me enough to take my daughter for a long weekend to NYC with separate hotel rooms so she doesnt need to hear me snore 😉