VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22900 of 52813, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Buy two phillips saa0099 to turn it back to a sound blaster 1.0 and enjoy CMS music 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 22901 of 52813, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

Buy two phillips saa0099 to turn it back to a sound blaster 1.0 and enjoy CMS music 😁

I'll try to find those chips. Also one reason why I wanted the voodoo 2 card was because I already had exactly same card in one of my PCs, so I will also be looking for a SLI cable to try running 2 cards in one system.

Reply 22903 of 52813, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually bought this three months ago, but only got round to testing it today. It's a Steinberg MIDI PC1 ISA card and it is supposed to be MPU-401 Intelligent Mode compatible. It came with the instruction sheet and the all-important connection cable. Well, it was detected and installed in Windows 95 as an MPU-401 compatible interface card and it worked! Haven't tested it in DOS yet though. Quite nice!

Attachments

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 22904 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting card. Looks like that came out in 1994 *insert question mark*

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22905 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it should be the same as the midiman mpu - 99% compatible , not bad

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22907 of 52813, by pepino_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tseng EVA-480, ET2000
One of first cards that emulates EGA (IBM EGA compatible), 256kB RAM
Graphic resolution 640x480, 16 colors (from 64 color palette)
Hardware zoom/pan
Zilog Z80 (4MHz) makes card fully CGA/Hercules compatible.
I think, this is late revision with Z80 integrated on single board. Former revision had Z80 on daughterboard.

Attachments

• WP_20180412_08_00_51_Pro.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20180412_08_00_51_Pro.jpg
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front side
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • WP_20180412_08_01_34_Pro.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20180412_08_01_34_Pro.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Back side
    File license
  • WP_20180412_08_03_00_Pro.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20180412_08_03_00_Pro.jpg
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Connectors
    File license

Reply 22908 of 52813, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a 30% off coupon for a local thrift shop, so I went in and walked out with this lot.

printhaul.jpg
Filename
printhaul.jpg
File size
354.76 KiB
Views
File license

I only needed a printer, to be honest, but I just couldn't leave the little cassette deck there. It's mint. And yes, it works perfectly. Not only that, when looking for a tape to test it with in-store, I spotted this copy of No Jacket Required. Bonus score! Less than twenty bucks for this lot.

The Samsung is nearly new and still has ~2/3 of its toner left. I'm guessing it's on the original cartridge.

tape1.jpg
Filename
tape1.jpg
File size
186.83 KiB
Views
File license
tape2.jpg
Filename
tape2.jpg
File size
300.88 KiB
Views
File license

^^ no date code that I can decipher, anyone have any idea when this was made?

tape3.jpg
Filename
tape3.jpg
File size
206.06 KiB
Views
File license
zik.jpg
Filename
zik.jpg
File size
377.54 KiB
Views
File license

The Phil Collins tape is a bit beaten up, but the jacket (hah!) is in good shape. It plays okay except for one track on side B where the tape is stretched.

Also grabbed a couple interesting CDs... Did you know the composer for Cowboy Bebop did a concept album about robots? Well she did, and now you do. I have no idea who that album in Russian / Cyrillic is but I liked the design & the fonts. 😜 (That's pretty much my criteria for picking an album up for 50 cents.) Some good pop-y tracks on there.

Maybe we should have a 'bought this (retro) music today' thread...

Last edited by xjas on 2018-04-12, 21:14. Edited 2 times in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22909 of 52813, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pepino_169 wrote:
Tseng EVA-480, ET2000 One of first cards that emulates EGA (IBM EGA compatible), 256kB RAM Graphic resolution 640x480, 16 colors […]
Show full quote

Tseng EVA-480, ET2000
One of first cards that emulates EGA (IBM EGA compatible), 256kB RAM
Graphic resolution 640x480, 16 colors (from 64 color palette)
Hardware zoom/pan
Zilog Z80 (4MHz) makes card fully CGA/Hercules compatible.
I think, this is late revision with Z80 integrated on single board. Former revision had Z80 on daughterboard.

Hah, I wonder if you could run arbitrary code on the Z80 and use it as a kind of co-processor? That graphics card is nearly as powerful as the systems it was designed to go in.

...come to think of it, that's a bit like the way modern GPUs have gone. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22910 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cassette recorder looks like it's from the 1970s. Also, that recorder looks shiny as well. Might want to check the belts as well for safety measurements.

Reply 22911 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice haul on the cassette player and printer. You should be able to get a good 5-10 years out of that printer.

Last printer I purchased from a thrift store was an old Dell (Lexmark) B/W laser printer. It lasted me 7 years before it finally started having enough problems for me to get rid of it. I paid a whopping $7 for it.
During that time I ended up refilling the original toner once or twice before the original drum wore out. Bought a new drum/toner on eBay and then refilled that one once or twice before the printer finally started having issues picking the paper up as well as the fuser starting to wear out and not fuse the toner to the paper properly.

Printing with that thing was cheap as dirt. I kinda miss it, but I have a color laser printer now and also recenlty got an old HP Laserjet 5000 as well as a couple new toner/drums for free that I may well put in service to print all b/w stuff as it is still a nice printer for b/w stuff. I just need to get either a usb to parallel adapter or an old HP network adapter for it as the original one died 3-4 years ago.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22912 of 52813, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an old Dot Matrix printer that has 24-pin print head, supports color ribbons (either multi-color or single-color), envelope support, different fonts, including the ones on the PC, and different types of paper can be used (with or without the feeding holes). Paid a whopping $6.99 for it and the ribbon is still in great health.

Reply 22913 of 52813, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I have a Yamaha PN-101 9-pin dot matrix for my MSX, with several extra ribbons. I was able to get it going as a character (only) printer using a USB->Centronics adapter on my Linux workstation, but that just wasn't gonna cut it. I need fonts and graphics. And printing 30-page scientific work at 0.33 pages/minute is painful. 😜

BTW on second analysis, the Phil Collins tape plays fine and the Lloyd's recorder is definitely gonna need a belt.

Reply 22914 of 52813, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I got a Gravis Ultrasound PnP Pro for about 50 dollars.

fnOnH5Pm.jpg

I've already found a GUS PnP (non-Pro) before, but I could never get it to work. It needs new capacitors, and the main chip contacts might be damaged.

However, so far I can't get the new card to work, either. I've tried really hard under pure DOS, and even though all diagnostics work fine, the card doesn't produce any sound in the mixer app and can't get detected by Tyrian's setup utility. I hope that I just suck with dealing with PnP stuff under DOS, so I'm gonna build a quick Socket 7 rig soon and try the card under Win9x with the original driver disk.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22915 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I risked ordering this from Alibaba and it arrived overnight from Hong Kong. Right off the factory conveyor belt, brand spanking new. Comes with a backplate and a driver disk. Will be putting it through its paces tomorrow. Missing the classic game port, but <shrug>. This will be for my Tualatin 1.4 CPU. He says the warehouse has 500 of them left in stock. $50 plus $30 shipping, but the shipping is not much more as you order more. $36 shipping for two motherboards. If this performs well will probably order one more. I wanted a workbench system that was Windows 98SE Socket 370 with an ISA slot and if this works out I am a happy camper.

P.S. - If you guys want his contact info @ Alibaba just let me know and I will post it here. He's easy to work with and very efficient. Who knew you could get a factory new Socket 370 board these days. Quite happy.

370mobo.jpg
Filename
370mobo.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 22916 of 52813, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Interesting, that looks exactly like this Gigabyte board. Yours has a few more caps (hope they're not GSC, heh) but there are blank solder pads in those locations on the Gigabyte. What was it marketed as?

Same VIA chipset with the 82C686B southbridge, naturally, so hopefully it has the DOS-compatible sound options in the BIOS. If not you can probably flash it to the Gigabyte one.

Reply 22917 of 52813, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea, I was thinking msi at first, I have a 462 board it instantly reminded me of, but yea, taht like 99.999% the gigabyte board.

GOTTA LOVE CHINA!!!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22919 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Yours has a few more caps (hope they're not GSC, heh) but there are blank solder pads in those locations on the Gigabyte.

Don't know if this helps. Here are some closeups of the three most common caps on the board.

caps1.JPG
Filename
caps1.JPG
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
caps2.JPG
Filename
caps2.JPG
File size