VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few but I can not be sure whether I can use Talerons with them or not; can anyone tell me what I need to look for on the cards to confirm?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 8, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Presumably you mean Tualatin?

They are all different so you have to research in the other direction.
Find the make and part number of one of your adapters then research what it can do.

There might still be a few reviews around that cover a few of them but they might not be the ones you have.

How about you post what you have. Pics are nice too.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, by Tualeron I mean Tualatin Celeron - I don't want FSB133, just high clockspeed 100MHz CPUs..

I have this one, for example:

Savecom_370_CPU_Slotket.jpg

But I don't know if it will allow me to use more than Coppermine?

Reply 3 of 8, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure that one won't do it.
One intended for Tualatin should have more jumpers than I see there to set the 1.45v and 1.475v some of them need.
I know they run fine at 1.5v but still a slotket built for them should have the settings available.

Take that with a grain of salt. I haven't messed with slotkets for at least 15 years.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-13, 10:01. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See here:
Possible to put Tualatin in a 440BX with Slocket?

I just bought 2 of these and I think they will work according to the above thread. I think you will still have to pin mod the CPU though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soltek-SL-02A-FC-PGA … et/302696548556

You just have to verify whether or not your motherboard supports the lower voltages.

Or you can buy a special slocket for a low, low price of $129.99
https://www.amazon.com/Upgradeware-Tualatin-S … r/dp/B079DBJ11P

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the only other slotket I happen to have at hand, this also seems to be Coppermine only. My best bet seems to be finding a 100MHz FSB fast Coppermine CPU I guess.. The fastest I have is a 700MHz.

Slotket_AA370_TS_Ver1.0.jpg

Reply 6 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It isn't difficult to mod a slocket to accept any tualatin, so no CPU mods are necessary. I did such a mod to a random slocket I had around and it worked wonders and still works with old PIII/Celerons too.

http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/Slocket0.jpg
http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/Slocket1.jpg

I had to remove the sliding cover on the socket to remove couple pins, after that the cover doesn't really stay on properly anymore but that won't affect operation.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That German guy still has MS-6905 v2 slotkets available for good prices. These have the required voltage clamp jumpers and are known to work with Lin-Lin adapters or via pin modding.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

That German guy still has MS-6905 v2 slotkets available for good prices. These have the required voltage clamp jumpers and are known to work with Lin-Lin adapters or via pin modding.

Modded one or two of those for Tualatin use, works perfectly. The mobo's VRM got to be able to supply those lower voltages though, it won't work in any Slot1 board.

If it's possible to set the required voltage directly from the mobo, either by jumpers or from the BIOS setup, any Coppermine ready slotket, or maybe even any slotket, should work with the same 4 pin mod.