VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sammy jankis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought Wizardry gold from Ebay and I'm trying to run it in DosBox. The application seems to be working ok, but I can't get a new game started because it wants me to enter a magic word based on some symbols it gives me.

I can't find a way to translate the symbols anywhere on the cd or google, and the seller hasn't responded. Can anyone here help me?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's called GAME PROTECTION. Check your manual, mate. 😀

*Moving to DOSBox Games/Apps, by the way*

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait a minute. Is it Wizardry Gold or Crusaders of the Dark Savant? I actually don't remember seeing a copy-protected version of Wizardry Gold. Also, I'd be surprised if you got it running in DOSBox, since it's a Windows game. And finally, it runs playably in Windows XP.

Reply 3 of 14, by sammy jankis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're right, it's not in dosbox. I was mistaken. And I have a legally purchased copy, but I can't find anything in the manual about it. It turns out, I have to press Enter without entering a magic word, and it loads properly.

But the game runs so slow, it's unbearable. It takes like 3 minutes to open a door, and another minute to move one step forward. Any suggestions on getting it to run faster?

I'm using a Lattitude C610 with a P3/1.2 processor. It's my work computer, so crystal audio, and no video accelerator.

Again, thanks for your help. Sorry for putting this in the wrong place.

Reply 4 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moderators: Please move this thread to the Windows board.

sammy: What version of Windows are you running? Are you using the latest sound and video drivers avaiable for it?

I'm surprised it's running slow. It's meant to run on much, much slower computers and actually runs too fast in some places on my system.

Reply 5 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

*PING* *PONG*

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 14, by sammy jankis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it seems like we finally found the right home for this thread at least.

I'm running XP, and as far as I know, everything is up to date.

I also discovered that I can't save. I set the save directrory to c:, and when I try to save it keeps telling me to put a disc in C:, but it won't recognize the hard drive. Can I fix this, or do I need to get a floppy disk so I can save?

Reply 7 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't it pop up a standard Windows file dialog when you choose Disk Options->Save? Mine does that, and I can then browse to where I want to put the savefile. The game defaults to calling it savegame.sgm (or something similar), but I can change that too if I want.

Reply 8 of 14, by sammy jankis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't get that. It just keeps asking me to insert a disk into C. And it's still running extremely slow. When I start the game, it shows a dos dialog box that says it's running at 3% of system resources. I'd like to try to bump that to 30% or 50%, but I don't know how.

Reply 9 of 14, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed Wiz Gold (bought it). I get a blank screen when I run it, outside of Dfend. Using Dfend, the game just never loads.

I set compatibility to win95 with 256 colors. Anyone know how to get this game running?

TIA

infael

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM
Leadtek GeForce 8800GTX vid card

Reply 10 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wizardry Gold is a Windows 3.1 game (possibly 32-bit - not sure) so it won't run under stock DOSBox. I've had it running under XP before I think - maybe because I installed the Application Compatability Toolkit from Microsoft's web site? I don't like Wiz Gold compared to the original Wiz 7 though so I don't play it.

Reply 11 of 14, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wizardy Gold is W3.1 game using win32s... I got it working somehow (not perfectly) just in one of WD's DOSBOX experimental builds... It will not run in normal DOSBOX...
Try another emulator (I once installed it in W3.1 in Virtual PC and it was usable, I recommend you to use W9x - no need to install AVI player and win32s).
Application Compatibility Toolkit will not help. Well, may be to start the game, but its main problem are too quick messages... Wizardry programmers did not bother to use timers. In game speed setting is useless on current computers.

Mirek

Reply 12 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, you're right. The Ultimate Wizardry Archive version runs fine for me in WinXP without any compatabiltiy modes, except for that text problem. The speech still works though, so if you don't have a ripped version then you could always have the text read to you via the narrator.

Of course, I recommend the original release of Wizardry 7, which runs fine in DOSBox if you use PC Speaker for sound and Adlib or Roland for music.

Reply 13 of 14, by infael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the Ultimate Wizardry Archives but the CD only has the first 4 games on it. I can see the top of 2 buttons at the bottom of the screen. I changed my screen res to 800x600 to see if that'd bring the buttons in sight but no dice.

I believe I only got the 1 cd. Were there 2 different versions of UWA?

Dell Pentium 4 2.4G
XP Pro SP2
2 G RAM
Leadtek GeForce 8800GTX vid card

Reply 14 of 14, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

UWA are just on one CD... Most of it is taken by Wizardry GOLD (all other games are very small). Not sure what is wrong. Look on the CD with Windows Explorer.

Mirek