VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a rather yellowed AT case lately, and while the front panel and interior has been hosed down in preparation for some retrobrighting, I thought I would also check the PSU out.

It was the single most filthy PSU I've ever seen.

So as much as I hate washing down any electronics, I had to hose it down as well.

The funny thing is, the psu's power cable to the power switch had been cut off. Why, I do not know. I am curious whether this was because they didn't want someone to accidentally turn the system on? Could it be something to do with a bad PSU? I can recrimp the PSU's connectors to the cable, but I am afraid it could blow something up?

I'd be glad if you can look at these photos and tell me if this PSU is worth salvaging and using. I have a spare brand new AT PSU but I would rather keep it as just that, a spare.

Attachments

• IMG_5554.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5554.JPG
    File size
    602.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_5552.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5552.JPG
    File size
    509.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_5551.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5551.JPG
    File size
    592.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_5550.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5550.JPG
    File size
    596.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_5549.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5549.JPG
    File size
    647.58 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 15, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I'd be glad if you can look at these photos and tell me if this PSU is worth salvaging and using.

I'm gonna have to go with "lolno."

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CkRtech wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I'd be glad if you can look at these photos and tell me if this PSU is worth salvaging and using.

I'm gonna have to go with "lolno."

Well 😀 lolno as in its crap and would eventually burn the house or as in its malfunctional and damaged?

Reply 3 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is really low end, both power and construction. I would salvage the cables and heatsink, fuse and toss the rest. Those cables can be soldered into some ATX PSU to convert it to an AT thing.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:

It is really low end, both power and construction. I would salvage the cables and heatsink, fuse and toss the rest. Those cables can be soldered into some ATX PSU to convert it to an AT thing.

How is this sorcery possible? 😀

Reply 5 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Tiido wrote:

IMO it is not worth it to do a manual conversion when you can buy an adapter cable with -5v added from eBay for $13.99/$14.00 shipped. I've bought multiple of these adapters and they work great.
(20-pin ATX to AT)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-20-PIN-to-AT-P8- … DE/251025150787

(24-pin ATX to AT)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EPS-ATX-24-PIN-t … SA/252708704697

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 15, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
IMO it is not worth it to do a manual conversion when you can buy an adapter cable with -5v added from eBay for $13.99/$14.00 sh […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:
Tiido wrote:

IMO it is not worth it to do a manual conversion when you can buy an adapter cable with -5v added from eBay for $13.99/$14.00 shipped. I've bought multiple of these adapters and they work great.
(20-pin ATX to AT)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-20-PIN-to-AT-P8- … DE/251025150787

(24-pin ATX to AT)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EPS-ATX-24-PIN-t … SA/252708704697

But this way you don't have the emotion of DIY.

Reply 7 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Remove cables from one PSU, solder them to another. You'll want to wire PowerON signal to the mains switch too. Some PSUs have a 3.3V sense wire that must be connected to 3.3V rail or other rails will get way too high voltages. Sometimes dummy load is needed on the unused 3.3V too.

Ebay cables are an option if one lacks skills, time, money or the will to do the conversion. I have the skills, tools, will and time, but not the money, plus nicely custom length cables are visually pleasing too ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
I bought a rather yellowed AT case lately, and while the front panel and interior has been hosed down in preparation for some re […]
Show full quote

I bought a rather yellowed AT case lately, and while the front panel and interior has been hosed down in preparation for some retrobrighting, I thought I would also check the PSU out.

It was the single most filthy PSU I've ever seen.

So as much as I hate washing down any electronics, I had to hose it down as well.

The funny thing is, the psu's power cable to the power switch had been cut off. Why, I do not know. I am curious whether this was because they didn't want someone to accidentally turn the system on? Could it be something to do with a bad PSU? I can recrimp the PSU's connectors to the cable, but I am afraid it could blow something up?

I'd be glad if you can look at these photos and tell me if this PSU is worth salvaging and using. I have a spare brand new AT PSU but I would rather keep it as just that, a spare.

That's some pretty severe cost down-itis. Coils on the pi filters? Y caps that are tested not to fail short? It's not like anyone needs FM radio, smooth DC output, or a house that doesn't burn down.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure a bunch of resistors between gnd and +5v could be a good test. Just count how many amps the psu is supposed to provide and how many amps the resistor will allow and if the psu blow up with the amps it's supposed to provide, then it's total shit

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 15, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually a part of the supply is missing !!!
But you can complete it installing the missing parts and
replacing the bad ones with quality parts!
Consider it as a KIT for practicing in electronics circuit!

Reply 12 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
verysaving wrote:
Actually a part of the supply is missing !!! But you can complete it installing the missing parts and replacing the bad ones wi […]
Show full quote

Actually a part of the supply is missing !!!
But you can complete it installing the missing parts and
replacing the bad ones with quality parts!
Consider it as a KIT for practicing in electronics circuit!

Eh? What is missing if I may ask?

Reply 13 of 15, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only reason I would take the time to restore a PSU is if it were non-generic / proprietary standard where replacements are either rare or just impossible to find.

If it works and does not behave oddly, then it may serve as a test PSU.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Pretty much the only thing which looks okay on this supply is the ground point.

Let me itemize the failure:

• One PTC for transient suppression isn't enough.
  • Two plate capacitors for line filtration. This is insufficient and unsafe; what's installed doesn't form a bandpass filter and the caps should be safety rated X and Y type for this application.
  • Primary rectification? I can't see a FWB module or even a quad diode pack. Are they using half wave rectification here?
  • If so, that makes the switcher transistor complement a joke.
  • Good thing, though. The transformers on this supply are definitely not sized for a WIN. Nor are the primary caps. Nor are the heatsinks.
  • The secondary rectification! Why did they even bother with a heatsink here? It's not like there's a lot of thermal coupling.
  • Pi filters? We can't afford those. So what if the supply puts through massive amounts of ripple. We're making money.

Question is, did this supply come with a variety of meaningless power rating stickers so vendors can tune their lies for the customer?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Pretty much the only thing which looks okay on this supply is the ground point. […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

Pretty much the only thing which looks okay on this supply is the ground point.

Let me itemize the failure:

• One PTC for transient suppression isn't enough.
  • Two plate capacitors for line filtration. This is insufficient and unsafe; what's installed doesn't form a bandpass filter and the caps should be safety rated X and Y type for this application.
  • Primary rectification? I can't see a FWB module or even a quad diode pack. Are they using half wave rectification here?
  • If so, that makes the switcher transistor complement a joke.
  • Good thing, though. The transformers on this supply are definitely not sized for a WIN. Nor are the primary caps. Nor are the heatsinks.
  • The secondary rectification! Why did they even bother with a heatsink here? It's not like there's a lot of thermal coupling.
  • Pi filters? We can't afford those. So what if the supply puts through massive amounts of ripple. We're making money.

Question is, did this supply come with a variety of meaningless power rating stickers so vendors can tune their lies for the customer?

Yeah, it was actually rated for 200W. 😵

OK, I've binned this PSU, I'll use my spare good AT PSU in this case.