VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filou666

User metadata

i have big problems with 3d games like actua soccer, indycar racing 2, dark forces... they run way to slow... when i turn cpu cycles over 13000 the sound starts to stutter and i get neither the optics to run smooth.

my system:
athlonxp 2Ghz
512 mbram
radeon 9600
creative aureon pci/fun

is there a way to get these game running faster/smoother?
i once heard of something like "protected mode".. but whats that?

Reply 1 of 5, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2GHz is relatively slow when it comes to emulating an entire PC. It's not surprising that system can't handle >13000 cycles. You may be able to increase the speed by switching to the dynamic core, but not all games work with that setting. Increasing frameskip may also help.

"Protected mode" is a mode of operation of the CPU, first introduced in the 286, but not really usable until the 386. Its main advantage is allowing programs to access memory in a more efficient manner. If you're thinking that you can simply switch DOSBox into protected mode and that it will magically make programs run faster, you are mistaken because:
a) you can't
b) it won't

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 5, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Either edit dosbox.conf and change the setting from "core=normal" to "core=dynamic" (in the [cpu] section) or, if you're using a frontend, it'll have a selection for this.

If you're using a recent CVS build (newer than the official version, which is 0.63), you can switch simply by typing "core dynamic" at the DOSBox prompt.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 5, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zorbid wrote:

You may have a look at DOS/32a too.

True, though I'd like to add that, just in case you (the TS) haven't heard of DOS/32a, more info is in this thread: [ANN]: DOS/32A v9.1.2 has been released

Good luck.