VOGONS

First post, by Dagdamor67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone seen this type of cache connector before? I would normally expect to see the static DRAM sockets on 486 motherboards but this one has a weird connector almost for some type of module.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen that layout before but it wasn't cache it was a main memory upgrade for a PC-98 series. (Sold in Japan only.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-9800_series

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 7, by Dagdamor67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found another person who appears to have a very similar motherboard with just some variance with the onboard memory.

http://psybulon.azurewebsites.net/

Has quite a few pictures on his site. Didnt see any information on what type of module was needed for that cache socket though. 🙁

Reply 3 of 7, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like this, but the ones I had were two decks with the RAM soldered onto the PCB.

PC98_RAM.jpg
Filename
PC98_RAM.jpg
File size
113.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 7, by Dagdamor67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is an additional shot of the make/model, etc. I am not having any luck finding any specs or manuals for this acer model online. In the link above the other user with the same motherboard said that their model was an Acer Power so it looks like they used the same motherboard in different models which makes sense. If anyone stumbles across any info about this board or has any advice on how to locate it I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 7, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have the BIOS string?

Reply 6 of 7, by Dagdamor67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It doesn't appear to have a traditional BIOS string visible on boot as I would expect. Here is a screenshot of the POST display and a pic of the BIOS Chip.

Attachments

• Acros-200P-433_BIOS-Chip.gif
    Filename
    Acros-200P-433_BIOS-Chip.gif
    File size
    150.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Acros-200P-433.gif
    Filename
    Acros-200P-433.gif
    File size
    181.5 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 7, by JK1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hate to revive such an old thread, but I recently acquired an Acer Acros with similar cache sockets. Has anyone seen these types of sockets before? I was hoping to add some cache.

EDIT: did some poking around and came across some documentation on a similar board that has similar labeled cache sockets.
https://web.archive.org/web/20030718155104/ht … ticles/1789.htm

Unfortunately these proprietary cache boards will probably be almost next to impossible to find.