VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23520 of 52354, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sold my Optiplex 330 C2D E7500 to a friend of a friend who wanted a basic windows 10 machine for £30 and this in exchange...

IMG_20180518_183400.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180518_183400.jpg
File size
328.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20180518_185328.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180518_185328.jpg
File size
328.67 KiB
Views
File license

Dell Dimension C521 with Athlon 64X2 4000+ on Nforce. Needed a new cpu/case fan, but 5 mins with the iron and my favourite 90mm Arctic PWM fan and that was fixed.

Shoved my WD Black HDD in this and should make a nice Windows XP machine that is not another Core2 - i was always an AMD/ATi guy anyway, my current rig is my first Intel since the Pii days and my first Nvidia (unless you count my 3DfX of course...)

e0zer5-2.png

Reply 23522 of 52354, by Distriived

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

^I feel kind of silly asking, but what was the (soldering?) iron for? Was the MB fan connector non-standard?

Yes Dell is known for doing things non standard and different than others, You can rarely reuse their cases for standard atx motherboards. I found that a fan i used from a Dell case had a completely different connector on it and was wired backwards from a normal case fan.

Reply 23523 of 52354, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Distriived wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:

^I feel kind of silly asking, but what was the (soldering?) iron for? Was the MB fan connector non-standard?

Yes Dell is known for doing things non standard and different than others, You can rarely reuse their cases for standard atx motherboards. I found that a fan i used from a Dell case had a completely different connector on it and was wired backwards from a normal case fan.

Yes exactly that, these have a unique 5 pin header not to dissimilar to that of a CD-rom audio connector.

The mobo is BTX format, which was pretty common across OEMs in the mid 2000s AFAIK.

e0zer5-2.png

Reply 23524 of 52354, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CarlHopkinsUK wrote:

Yes exactly that, these have a unique 5 pin header not to dissimilar to that of a CD-rom audio connector.

Weeeeird. I knew about the proprietary ATX PSU pinouts, but not about non-standard fan headers in their consumer boxes... as late as 2007, too.

Reply 23525 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received this yesterday:

IMG_9348.jpg
Filename
IMG_9348.jpg
File size
129.67 KiB
Views
File license

New in box (still sealed in plastic wrap) Ratoc PCMCIA PCI adapter card with ISA bridge board, suitable for Windows 98 and above (supposedly including Win98 DOS), straight from Japan.

Rear of box:

IMG_9349.jpg
Filename
IMG_9349.jpg
File size
125.63 KiB
Views
File license

I've been hunting for this one for a while because it allows use of both 16 bit and 32 bit PCMCIA cards at once. Of course, to do this it uses up both a PCI slot and a ISA slot.

Since it will be used in a build, I removed the plastic wrap and opened the box:

IMG_9350.jpg
Filename
IMG_9350.jpg
File size
126.02 KiB
Views
File license

A closer look at the PCI card still in its sealed bag:

IMG_9352.jpg
Filename
IMG_9352.jpg
File size
170.61 KiB
Views
File license

And the ISA bridge board and cable:

IMG_9351.jpg
Filename
IMG_9351.jpg
File size
171.7 KiB
Views
File license

It uses a Ricoh chipset, which AFAIK is the best chipset to have on these kind of cards.

Reply 23526 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also received a lot of 2000-ish pro-audio manuals (including a full set of manuals for one of the synths that's on my wishlist), and it included four software CDs:

IMG_9353.jpg
Filename
IMG_9353.jpg
File size
113.73 KiB
Views
File license

The Yamaha Tools for AW-16G is a complete waste of a CD-ROM, as it only contains two folders that each contain a plug-in for other software packages.

The Waves CD-ROM contains a 14 day trial version of their management software, and would be pretty much useless nowadays because the activation sever doesn't exist anymore, were it not that it also contains a copy of Quicktime 4.0 with several non-standard plug-ins included 😎 .

The Yamaha Tools for S80 etc. CD-ROM contains the following:
- Card Filer for Windows and Mac.
- XGWorks Lite 3.0 for Windows - this is actually based on the last full English version of XGWorks, and supports plug-ins 😎 .
- CBX MIDI driver.
- XG Editor for Mac, both Japanese and English versions.
- PLG Editors for Windows (English-only) and Mac (English and Japanese), with slight variations in which editors are included with which language version on the Mac side.
- OMS for Mac (multi-MIDI port support for pre-OS X Mac OS).
- Adobe Acrobat 4.0 in English, German, French, and Japanese on the Windows side, and English and Japanese on the Mac side.
- AIFF audio samples and also an audio track with samples.

The M-Audio MIDIman CD-ROM is an absolute gem:
- All drivers and manuals for their 2000-ish audio hardware line-up, both PC and Mac versions.
- Two versions of OMS for Mac.
- Copy of their 2000-ish website.
- Folder full of goodies including press reviews, wallpapers, technical documents, etc.

Besides that I got manuals for about a dozen different models of pro audio equipment. Cost of it all? 99 pence + shipping from the UK. 😁

Reply 23527 of 52354, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

You can even adjust how the monochrome LCD panel interprets color via dip switches.

Hi Liqmat, that is very interesting - could you post a couple pictures comparing different display variants? Is it limited to inversion, or there are more options?

Reply 23528 of 52354, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A GF2 Ti from Creative. Still had my box and contents from back in the days (I pretty much threw everything away in the past....) and I finally found a Creative one on Amibay. Now it's CIB again 😀

Kof52Gbl.jpg

Thinkpad 380D in very good condition. Was sold 'as is' with no adapter. Paid 20€ for it. Only thing I had to change,was the CMOS battery. Unfortunately, I think the factory install is gone (I presume there was W95 on it). Now it runs on W98.

IhQeyU2l.jpg
izFk8WFl.jpg

Commodore PC30-III and everything in the picture. Seller did the Dallas chip mod for me. Has an ESS soundcard and SCSI Quantum HD installed.

4vepVZ1l.jpg

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 23530 of 52354, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

clean ThinkPad! Hopefully the rubber on it isn't sticky.

This one seems only to have plastic or the rubber is in REAL mint condition 😀
The X20 was in worse shape (rubber coating).
I'm kinda getting into these Thinkpads!

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 23531 of 52354, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a set of black Roland MA-8 monitors for my newly remodeled office!

9LQFF4.jpg
ZSxaJH.jpg
M076PT.jpg

Ad Lib (1990) Replica Card (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfx_BrP7T5M)

C763Qq.jpg
wTPTsj.jpg
TQKyqQ.jpg
ldxIK5.jpg
1FBhUh.jpg

Rendition Vérité V2100 - Diamond Stealth II S220 PCI 4MB (Sealed) (1997)

FTUMWr.jpg
AxDdj4.jpg

Last edited by Artex on 2018-05-19, 15:35. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23533 of 52354, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:
A GF2 Ti from Creative. Still had my box and contents from back in the days (I pretty much threw everything away in the past.... […]
Show full quote

A GF2 Ti from Creative. Still had my box and contents from back in the days (I pretty much threw everything away in the past....) and I finally found a Creative one on Amibay. Now it's CIB again 😀

Kof52Gbl.jpg

tenor.gif

clv1u94.jpg

Reply 23535 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldCat wrote:
liqmat wrote:

You can even adjust how the monochrome LCD panel interprets color via dip switches.

Hi Liqmat, that is very interesting - could you post a couple pictures comparing different display variants? Is it limited to inversion, or there are more options?

Inversion is a separate dip switch, although inversion is part of it. Basically it tells the system what colors to turn on and off on the monochrome LCD panel. The results are mixed. If you refer to the "Switch 2" settings in the manual scans I did of the dip switch settings in the zip file I posted towards the top of this page ^^^ you will see all the variations. Obviously image data will disappear with certain settings. I found a setting that shows most image data on the screen with almost no loss, but I believe they had these settings available for someone who wants their software to look a particular way on screen. I rarely need to change it for my uses.

Here is the 1985 Jingle Disk CGA demo running with two dip switch variations. You see on the second screen you lose parts of the image so that would not be ideal. I just found it interesting NEC included these dip switch settings in the first place. The LCD screen is old so it's not super bright and suffers from ghosting effects when the motion is too fast. The best games I have found for this screen are graphic text adventures and point and click style games. Anything with fast motion appears blurry. Luckily NEC knew this and the system supports both a CGA or EGA external monitor which you select with a switch on the side.

color1.JPG
Filename
color1.JPG
File size
930.58 KiB
Views
File license
color2.JPG
Filename
color2.JPG
File size
920.14 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 23536 of 52354, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
A57E96A0-EBC6-45BD-8B4C-6FC8CED36D93.jpeg
Filename
A57E96A0-EBC6-45BD-8B4C-6FC8CED36D93.jpeg
File size
1.98 MiB
Views
File license

Hit the jackpot (hopefully)!
30 new old stock socket 3 UMC motherboards.

Reply 23539 of 52354, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Find 30 identical NOS AT case with PSU, that way you'll be able to sell almost complete brand new systems 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative