VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have built a 1990 year specific build. I did not include a CD-Rom drive because I was not aware of anything that would of been available in 1990 to take advantage of it. However, after searching, I came across the JRR Tolkien Lord of the Rings Vol1 that appears to have been released in 1990 on CD-Rom. Is this year of release accurate? Also, are there any other titles released on CD in 1990?

Reply 2 of 6, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats what I was thinking but I cant find much information saying it was a later release. Just that the game was released in 1990 with Floppy and CD versions.

Reply 3 of 6, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fsmith2003 wrote:

I have built a 1990 year specific build. I did not include a CD-Rom drive because I was not aware of anything that would of been available in 1990 to take advantage of it. However, after searching, I came across the JRR Tolkien Lord of the Rings Vol1 that appears to have been released in 1990 on CD-Rom. Is this year of release accurate? Also, are there any other titles released on CD in 1990?

Yes! Arguably the cdrom's "Launch Title" for the PC was King's Quest V and came out in 1990. Good game too.

Reply 4 of 6, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found some of those early titles listed here: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2014/03/e … -rom-games.html

I really wouldn't trust the dates that are reported for a lot of this stuff, though.

Mixed Up Mother Goose has a mail order price listed in the August 1991 issue of Computer Gaming World, the other Sierra titles and Battle Chess Enhanced were listed TBA.

Last edited by firage on 2018-05-25, 03:21. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 6, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe it would be a good thread, if it doesn't exist already, to make a list of early cd-rom games just to get a general consensus on this. I'm gonna go for it and see if it sticks.

List of CD-Rom Games for DOS 1990-94