VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What program do you use to make images of floppy disks?

The best I have found is Floppy Image 2.4 but it is a trial and apparently the company that made it no longer exists so there is no way for me to get a registration key.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 13, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zerker wrote:
Or if you ever mess with a *nix variant on a floppy-capable machine, you can just DD: […]
Show full quote

Or if you ever mess with a *nix variant on a floppy-capable machine, you can just DD:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=myfloppy.img

dd has the nice feature of easily destroying your hard drive content if you make a typo 😀 I would say that unless OP already knows dd (and then wouldn't need to ask), it's better not suggesting using dd...

Reply 7 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the tips.

I don't have any Linux setups right now.. but I did find DD for Windows.
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

RAWWrite for Windows only supports 1.44MB floppies, but the source is available.
http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

I tried WinImage yesterday, but it looked like it wanted to add a "System Volume Information" folder with the current date/time to the floppy image. After writing the image to another floppy, it doesn't show up though so I guess it is ok. Just strange that it show up like that.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 13, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using "RAWrite 0.7.7z" to write 720kB floppies on a regular basis. I didn't have chance to test 5.25" floppies as I don't have 5.25" USB floppy drive, but I'm somehow guessing it works as well, as long as the floppy drive supports it.
BTW: my version of WinImage doesn't add anything to the floppy. I should not, and it doesn't make sense for the tool to do it. It's most likely Windows thing...

Reply 9 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kubik wrote:

I'm using "RAWrite 0.7.7z" to write 720kB floppies on a regular basis. I didn't have chance to test 5.25" floppies as I don't have 5.25" USB floppy drive, but I'm somehow guessing it works as well, as long as the floppy drive supports it.
BTW: my version of WinImage doesn't add anything to the floppy. I should not, and it doesn't make sense for the tool to do it. It's most likely Windows thing...

Ok, I'll have to try it then. The page says it only supports 1.44MB.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kubik wrote:

Don't forget to put a piece of tape over the disk type hole, and if you're using an USB floppy drive, make sure it actually supports 720kB (noname drives usually don't).

Yep... the drive I have does support 720k. It is a SmartDisk FDUSB-TM2 (2x speed.. oh yeah!)

And Windows 10 still supports 720k but only if you format from the command line. The GUI freaks out and says it can't format.

And the drive only works reliably in Windows 10 if I boot up my computer with it already hooked up to the USB port.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 13, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's a pretty decent program you can easily search for the key

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic