VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a socket 7 board that won’t POST despite trying literally everything. Fans spin up but no beeps and no video. I successfully reflashed the BIOS in another system yesterday but it’s still not working so as far as I can see the only fixable thing left that it could be is the caps.

None of the caps are showing any visible signs of being bad... but it’s a board that’s been sat for many years so I wonder if they could have just dried up to the point where it’ll no longer POST?

I don’t mind doing it but if it’s an outside chance it’ll work given that the caps don’t look bad (and they’re Rubycon units not the no-name ones) I won’t waste the time over it

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 1 of 4, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Capacitors can fail without visible bulging or leaking. I've found them in power supplies, TVs, VCRs and other things - but never on a motherboard. Every bad capacitor I have found on a motherboard has been visibly bad in some way. In fact I used to pull capacitors from old motherboards to fix TVs back when noone wanted them. I wouldn't recommend replacing the capacitors at random to fix an unknown fault in anything. I would at least do some basic voltage checks before replacing components.

Reply 3 of 4, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Dell with the same symptoms which I did manage to coax into running its own diags once (not got that far since) which pointed to the clocks being out (RTC not matching motherboard clock (paraphrased somewhat)).

In my case it looks like I have a bad cap (shorted to earth) starving the clock chip of power (expected 5V only getting about 2.3V) so it can't run one of the oscillators. Might be worth checking that the clock chip in your machine is good and getting the power that it needs.

Its not an electrolytic cap on my system its an smd type. No idea what its ratings are though, no markings on it and no diagrams available 🙁

Reply 4 of 4, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the advice guys. Good news is I did manage to get it to POST 😁 see Re: Socket 7 board won’t post if interested!

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM