VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello VOGONS,

I found a great deal for a GeForce2 GTS on eBay recently. The seller claimed it was fully operational when I bought it and I absolutely couldn't wait to try it so I went to get the package yesterday and when I installed it, the system wouldn't POST. When I got the card out of the packaging, the heatsink was hanging loose off of only one push pin, the PCB was bent and everything was notoriously dirty. I only got it to POST like 3 times in total and when it did, there was no VGA signal being output.

It was only earlier today that I determined what the culprit is: a broken resistor/transistor. I took a look at the memory chips and noticed one of them was loose and ready to fall off. Just barely touching it was enough to make that happen and now it's total garbage.

Here's a shot of it: https://i.imgur.com/YO16JFO.jpg (5th from the right)

Are these things fixable? I know someone who might be able to help me with it and I definitely don't want this card to go to waste.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 3, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure. You can put another cap in place where that one was or even put the old one back if you have it.

Could you post some more pictures of the card that are high resolution and in focus?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you open an eBay case to get your money back?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://imgur.com/a/YNRnASp

Alright, here's a better shot at the thing. It still has a few bits remaining since it was literally wiggling loose there as if someone hit it.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04