VOGONS

Marketplace?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there no trade shop here at Vogons? I am in desperate need of an AWE32, a few IDE, and a few floppy ribbons. EBay is killing me right now with these prices.

Reply 5 of 14, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish Amibay had a bit more activity for US/Canadian people myself. Shipping can get killer ordering from Europe.

Check out vcfed.org if you're in the Americas, they have a wanted subforum as well: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?2 … er-Items-Wanted

I see way better stuff more frequently on Amibay but every now and then good stuff goes through vcfed.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 14, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I wish Amibay had a bit more activity for US/Canadian people myself. Shipping can get killer ordering from Europe.

And its just the same ordering stuff from North America to Europe. USPS rates are specially prohibitive.

Reply 7 of 14, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As this forum expands and the hobby takes hold with more people, i feel this needs to be addressed. i have read forum posts here about the topic and the answer sees to be some sort of perceived liability. Vogons doesn't want to create an environment where its users can be ripped off by other users. i dont understand why that is an issue here and it isn't an issue anywhere else. with a little bit of effort it can be done safely and effectively. if a median like PayPal is used PayPal protects its users against things like that. also, a marketplace can be used to advertise auction listings or items that are being requested or looked for can by placed on auctions or through other channels. Vogons could simple be a place to get the word out.

Reply 12 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The long and the short of it is, Vogons is not a marketplace simply because it does not need to be one. This is a place where people come to discuss, not to buy, sell, trade, and bargain.

Vogons is more a marketplace of ideas, fun, and code.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 14, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

The long and the short of it is, Vogons is not a marketplace simply because it does not need to be one. This is a place where people come to discuss, not to buy, sell, trade, and bargain.

Vogons is more a marketplace of ideas, fun, and code.

In the spirit of that, it would be nice if we could help people complete their builds by offering them parts. Vogons doesn't need to be a swap meet, but being able to help people complete their builds or finding that one part that has alluded them could be very satisfying and help build the community.

It may be somethings as simple as not being able to offer items for sale unsolicited. But if some one was in need of a part we could offer it to them.

I know speaking for my self, I am sitting on a ton of useless stuff I would love to send to people. I have a tone of old drive cables and com headers of a virtual endless supply. it breaks my heart to see people desperate for them when i am literally tossing them out by the hand full.

Reply 14 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@pico, your posts become more and more like advertising for what you have 😉 offer those things up on Amibay!

I'm closing this thread, as the no marketplace decision has been final. Discussion on it brings no benefit and only attracts those that want to make profit off Vogons.
For reference, it's not only the liability issue, it's also the way a marketplace changes the userbase. We've had bad experiences... and we don't want them anymore.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper