VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23840 of 52623, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^I had a similar Presario a while back with a K6-2 @ 450MHz; it had a Gigabyte OEM mATX board with SiS 530 chipset (100MHz bus support), and PCI and ISA slots but no AGP slot.

Reply 23841 of 52623, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

MOAR 486!
SILICON STAR PI4-PI4T PCI.jpg
Intel DX4 100Mhz EW.jpg

Nice, that's just about the ideal 486 motherboard isn't it? It seems to be pretty hard to find them, especially working 3.3v capable boards with PCI slots, for a reasonable price now.

Not quite today, but a few days ago, I got an old gamepad, for a whopping 50 pence.

IMG_9723 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_9723 (Custom).jpeg
File size
389.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I got some unpowered speakers too, similar to what my family's first PC setup used, which sound as good as you might expect - my soundblaster cards sound pretty good with them though (though I do prefer the Bose portable speaker, its EQ makes OPL3 sound pretty awesome)

IMG_9726 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_9726 (Custom).jpeg
File size
501.06 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Thermalwrong on 2018-06-12, 22:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23842 of 52623, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:
debs3759 wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Just a couple of months ago I came very close to buying a large 1960s era TV that was in factory new condition from an estate sale, but it was big, heavy and $350 which I thought was steep. It did have the original remote and manuals which was amazing.

I didn't know remote control TVs were a thing in the 60s 😀

I believe my parents referred to them as clickers.

https://www.metv.com/stories/a-history-of-the … its-advertising

I still have a similar 4 button Zenith remote to the one in the first picture. It has spring loaded hammers inside that struck chimes.

I remember finding an RCA TV that was new enough to have a digital tuner readout (2-83, red LED, no cable above 13) that still used a sonic remote. It was annoying cause when someone used the sink upstairs, the high pitched squeal of the pipes would make it start channel surfing up...The volume buttons also emulated the old rotary volume control (just keep turning down the volume to power off. Then press volume up to turn on). Very strange set.

EDIT: Found a pic...4 buttons, that's all. Looks like it tunes cable frequencies, but no, UHF only!
aOq7Ls3m.jpg

I'll stop de-railing this thread with my TV talk now 😀

Reply 23843 of 52623, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:

^I had a similar Presario a while back with a K6-2 @ 450MHz; it had a Gigabyte OEM mATX board with SiS 530 chipset (100MHz bus support), and PCI and ISA slots but no AGP slot.

Nice to know, I was always curious whether my Socket 7 K6-2/400 build with no AGP slots was actually representative of a period correct build, now I can rest easy.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23844 of 52623, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

I've always been curious about these K6 OEM systems, does it have a S7 board in it or an SS7? I never used an MMX or K6 system, went from P54C straight to a Pentium II, so I want to know if the K6 or K6-2 were commonly paired with SS7 boards with AGP slots, or whether they were mostly used on regular S7 boards and SS7 was a novelty even back then..

"Super" Socket 7 was a marketing term, never a technical specification, so it meant whatever the marketeers wanted it to mean. Generally that was >=83MHz FSB and AGP, but that AGP could be integrated, so no discrete slot.

Not too long ago I picked up a Packard Bell Club system explicitly advertised as Super Socket 7. It had a GVC So7 motherboard with SiS530, so 100MHz FSB and AGP-but integrated in a nasty UMA design.

Reply 23845 of 52623, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Related question, All these Presarios and Aptivas with K6-2's at the time seem to have been housed in small tower cases with curved outlines, front doors of some kind, which is really interesting.. They seem to have a lot of distinct character to them, probably something shared generally by cases from 97/98, so I have started considering moving my own '98 K6-2/V2-SLI build from an Elan Vitan T10 case to the case below (the one at the bottom, the top one will become a UMC U5SX-33F system)..

ATX Case with Front Door.JPG
Filename
ATX Case with Front Door.JPG
File size
471.83 KiB
Views
File license

Yes, this will happen. That would free the T10 case for a more appropriate build like Socket A or 754.F

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23847 of 52623, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DSC_7204.JPG
Filename
DSC_7204.JPG
File size
738.27 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_7205.JPG
Filename
DSC_7205.JPG
File size
567.7 KiB
Views
File license

Hmm 😒 More or less the best part of 15 kg that arrived today...going to sell 90% again...

Reply 23848 of 52623, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, that's just about the ideal 486 motherboard isn't it?

Depends on what you looking for.

Silicon Star Inc. PI4/PI4T PCI features:

CR2032 battery - no
Integrated COM - no
Integrated Floppy - no
PS/2 - no
4 72-pin SIMM slots - yes
EDO RAM support - yes
All late CPU support - maybe*
Flexible CPU voltage - yes
512kb/1mb L2 cache - yes
60mhz FSB option - unknown

Overall it's a nice board though. Especially for the price I bought it 😈

for a reasonable price now

Ebay is not an option for such things for how long now? 7-8 years? Local stores, garage sales, etc are the only option to buy it cheap.

*Cyrix 586 and AMD Am5x86 are not listed.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2018-06-13, 18:42. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23849 of 52623, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
The attachment DSC_7204.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC_7205.JPG is no longer available

Hmm 😒 More or less the best part of 15 kg that arrived today...going to sell 90% again...

...in this case cleaning with water and detergent was the best option 😎

DSC_7202.JPG
Filename
DSC_7202.JPG
File size
155.69 KiB
Views
File license
DSC_7204.JPG
Filename
DSC_7204.JPG
File size
510.98 KiB
Views
File license

Therefore this lot was worth the money and I think when selling the remaining parts this card was +-0 😎

Reply 23850 of 52623, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't notice the lack of floppy controller, I just thought since I could see the IDE ports that it must also have one - strange 😀

The Serpent Rider wrote:

Ebay is not an option for such things for how long now? 7-8 years? Local stores, garage sales, etc are the only option to buy it cheap.

That's a shame, I need to visit some car boot sales and see what's there. Though I do also think there's a bit of a cultural difference - in the UK, charity shops generally don't sell electronics and there's not really a used market for quite old electronics so electronic equipment such as PCs does mostly just get recycled. What doesn't get recycled does seem to appear on ebay though, but as full systems rather than parts

Reply 23852 of 52623, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My two latest grabs.

ct3930.jpg
Filename
ct3930.jpg
File size
226.07 KiB
Views
File license
ct1920-fuzzy.jpg
Filename
ct1920-fuzzy.jpg
File size
196.46 KiB
Views
File license

better pic.. definitely new.

ct1920.jpg
Filename
ct1920.jpg
File size
337.6 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23854 of 52623, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

^Nice! What a pitty that you cant combine tchem making 64 megs for banks 😀

Hmmmm... that is an interesting thought. Would it be at all possible to set them with two different addresses, break up a 64MB soundfont(really only 56MB since they only see 28MB total each), and then write a piece of middleware that redirects the bottom half of the instruments to one card and the top half of the instruments to the other card?

If that would work, you really could set up even more than 2 cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23855 of 52623, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Batyra wrote:

^Nice! What a pitty that you cant combine tchem making 64 megs for banks 😀

Hmmmm... that is an interesting thought. Would it be at all possible to set them with two different addresses, break up a 64MB soundfont(really only 56MB since they only see 28MB total each), and then write a piece of middleware that redirects the bottom half of the instruments to one card and the top half of the instruments to the other card?

If that would work, you really could set up even more than 2 cards.

Yikes, if you manage to make this work for multiple cards, imagine how long it'd take the sound fonts to load. I have a Goldfinch CT1920 card and there's a fairly long delay at startup (Win98SE) to load the soundfont into the card's memory.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 23856 of 52623, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh what a day, what a lovely day! EVEN MOAR 486!

ASUS PIV-486SP3.jpg
Filename
ASUS PIV-486SP3.jpg
File size
974.29 KiB
Views
File license
ASUS PIV-486SP3 revision close-up.jpg
Filename
ASUS PIV-486SP3 revision close-up.jpg
File size
682.96 KiB
Views
File license

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23857 of 52623, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's amazing to see ISA, VLB, and PCI on a 486 motherboard, with integrated I/O as well. I had a Shuttle Hot 433 board with PCI, ISA, and integrated I/O. Those were considered high end 486 motherboards when Pentium started rolling out in the 1990's.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23858 of 52623, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That seems to be a great board, and supports most of the newer 486 and 5x86 (not sure about early 486 which need 5V). I think it is the last revision of the board. I set one up recently to test a Cyrix 5x86-133/4X (not mine). I'm waiting to receive a DX-50 so I can test all the possible fsb speeds. Just received cache chips to upgrade mine to 512 KB, and will be upgrading the RAM to 128 MB (the max it will take) for Win 95 OSR 2.5. Not sure yer if I need to do anything special to restrict the amount of RAM for DOS 6.22/WFW 3.11

Jumper settings are not all on the board or in the manual. You might find http://gboeger.de/Computer/Asus_PVI486SP3/pvisp3-cpu.html useful.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 23859 of 52623, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

got these 2 SBC cards for an upcoming SBC build - I am limited to exactly this "half-sized ISA" length

A72ZqHdl.jpg

bQHNZl0l.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website