VOGONS

First post, by OverTallman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys, I'm OverTallman. There's no intro thread in VOGONS (at least I didn't see one) and this is my very first post so I'll briefly introduce myself here.

My name is OverTallman or OTM in short (in case you don't wanna type 11 letters each time). I'm from Hong Kong if you wonder... yeah I know Asians are rare species here but let's not bring race talk to this forum, cause just like you I'm passionate about tech stuff, PC hardware in particular. I'm more of a modern PC guy, only started tinkering computers a few years ago, but old/vintage hardware still has a place in me, hell the first PC in my home is a Socket 370 system! Over the years I've been refurbishing computers as a hobby and I managed to save a few oldies (mostly Socket 370 and 478, and 1-2 386/486 systems) from their demise, so I think I'm not 100% clueless about old PCs... maybe.

And there's one obligatory thing to say: English isn't my first language so please pardon my English, I'll try my best on this part 😅

Alright enough shameless intro, back to topic. The whole project started from here, a Socket 754 system bundle that I bought for very little $$$.
lgRvyW5l.jpg
This includes an ECS motherboard, a Sempron CPU, a stock AMD cooler, 1.5GB RAM, a rusty backplate, a manual and a driver CD, all for HK$30 (~US$4) and they all work. What a bargain!

By the way, what's with the title? Well what I'm gonna do is build an relatively old system mixed with some modern parts making it totally awkward, ridiculous, out of place, period incorrect, blah blah blah. I know this is gonna trigger some people here but hey it's summer in HK, a "My Summer PC" build doesn't hurt, right? 😜

Parts used
(Click on the image for a larger one)

Motherboard: ECS 761GX-M754 (V3.0A)
Ri32BD8l.jpg
An ordinary Socket 754 mATX motherboard from ECS, with SiS 761GX chipset (no Turion support unfortunately), 2 SATA ports and a PCIe x16 slot (wow). The purple PCB screams ECS and looks dope, I like it.

Processor: AMD Sempron 2500+ (SDA2500AIO3BX)
pLQbXYUl.jpg
Meh, a Sempron, and not only that it's the slowest of them. True it's the slowest Socket 754 desktop chip (runs @ measly 1.4GHz), but at least it doesn't have chipped corner and works well. For $30 what can you ask for?

CPU cooler: PCcooler E121 Corona
aTVbEY8l.jpg
Now that's where new parts start to come. It's a cheap Chinese top down cooler, full aluminum heatsink like the stock one but even lighter. However it has a 120mm fan and it emits a blue dank ring, that's what matters 😁

Memory: 2 * 1GB Speed DDR-400 RAM
tMLnKVNl.jpg
I decided not to use the 512MB Kingston and get an (almost) identical 1GB module instead. They're the same obscure brand, one of them has Hynix chips and the other one has Samsung chips, but it should be fine.

Graphics card: HIS Radeon HD 4350 Silence 512MB
31rhKxMl.jpg
Taken from my "fatten up" HP t5745 thin client. It's silent, can play 1080p videos and okay for light gaming, a great card for web browsers and HTPC.

Storage: Western Digital WD3200AAJS
ORdwKG4l.jpg
A rather common 3.5" 320GB SATA II hard drive by WD, it's bought used but has no bad sectors, very quiet too. It also has the 8-pin jumper which can be handy in some cases. (More on to that later)

Case: Maxxon Casper
EGLUMHAm.jpgqdA8LTfm.jpg
A budget mATX case from a local brand, flimsy metal panels and a potential danger to my delicate skin 🤣, surprisingly though I didn't get a cut from handling it. Clear plexiglass side panel may look cringy to some, but overall it doesn't look too gamer-y. Like most new cases there's a USB 3.0 port and HD Audio connectors on the front panel, which I'll need to improvise to make use of.

Power supply: Antec Neo ECO 450C
V7LZBozl.jpg
A decent Antec PSU with 80+ Bronze certification, 450W is more than enough for this build considering I'm not gonna drop a power hungry GPU into it. Again it's an used part but there's no funky smell (may indicate leaking caps) so it should be good.

Fans: 2 * Aigo Aurora 120mm blue LED fan + 1 * AVC 92mm fan
k5MjNKNl.jpg
Eyesore alert! Two front panel fans with blue dank ring 😈 Decided against RGB stuff as that adds complexity to the build (e.g. RGB controller and software). The exhaust fan is much more discreet, having another ring besides the ring on the cooler looks kinda messy to me anyway so I'm cool with that. Don't like the rings? It's 2018 boi 🤣

So here's the parts I'm gonna use, my "initial adventure" on this build will be posted soon, it's 4 am here so I'm gonna get a rest.

Last edited by OverTallman on 2018-08-14, 15:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by OverTallman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

System assembly

Time to put the parts together and build the system! First thing to do: a dab of toothpaste on the CPU 🤣
6rAptZxl.jpg
Nah just joking, it's Noctua NT-H1, cheap and with good quality. I did spread it as I used to do so when I repaste my laptops, works fine for me.

Now the CPU, cooler and RAM are on board! I had to bend the retention clip so it won't put too much pressure on the CPU and motherboard, seems like the cooler is built for the clips on the later AMD sockets which sit higher.
1BXJcZVl.jpg
Just look at the size of the cooler! The cooler and the retention clip do exceed the edge of the motherboard, I wonder if they'll hit the PSU...

And I did something on the backplate: the original one is rusty so I decided to get another one from a used PC parts shop, didn't cost me a lot. Then I painted it matte black with my leftover Tamiya spray can.
2HNws6Tl.jpg
Sadly it went empty at the 2nd layer and coughed up paint droplets in the end, there goes the smooth surface 🙁 However, once dried it gives a surface like a textured fine art paper so I'm fine with that.

Some parts had to be fitted into the case before I drop the motherboard in.
OFNnDJMl.jpg

And for the hard drive, previously I've mentioned the jumper, turns out the SiS 964 southbridge has issues with SATA II/III drives. Solution? Short out pin 5-6 to downgrade the hard drive to SATA I speed.
jsL5Epul.jpg

Core parts finally in, the cooler retention clip didn't hit the PSU 😀 I'll tidy up the cables later as I'm gonna give it a spin.
jv9KCOfl.jpg

Test run

Now the system is almost ready, let's fire it up and see if it works, and see how awesome those dank rings are 😁
TTyhEFrm.jpgdaq9fTYm.jpg

The front looks great and I'm happy that I've painted the backplate, but how does the side look? (Warning: May cause epilepsy seizure)
T6wnXM6l.jpg
Are your eyes burning yet? Well more eye cancer coming soon 😉

As for running an OS, I skipped the XP cause I knew for certain it'd work, the motherboard officially supports it after all, instead I did a full Windows 7 Professional install onto the HDD. It supports booting from USB which saved me a lot of hassle, as you may realize there's no optical drive in this system as of now. After 15-20 minutes plus an initial set up I'm greeted with Windows 7 desktop, yay!
hw1IBOul.jpg

However, things didn't turn out so well beyond this point as the graphics card started to go frantic, sometimes it'd sense two monitors plugged in even though I was only using the DVI port, sometimes only the VGA port worked, sometimes the system went frozen, sometimes it wouldn't even POST... Reinstalled the graphics driver and underclocked the memory to 333MHz, the situation improved somewhat, but it still crashed the system occasionally. Then I tried clearing CMOS settings as last resort, believe or not it was very effective: it's now quite stable under Win7, DVI port works every time.

But then the card started to act up again when I decided to upgrade to Windows 10, the system would freeze in the middle, causing the upgrade process to fail, after several failed attempts, I removed the card and it successfully upgraded to Win10 at last. Win10 doesn't support the onboard SiS graphics though so I'd really want to have a dedicated GPU, but once I put the card back it'd show a black screen with loading cursor when the system booted to OS. Reinstalling Win10 has no effect.

I know the original TeraScale GPU doesn't officially support Win10, but I have two Core 2 Duo desktops with HD 4350 and 4670, both work fine under Win10 using the default driver, showing correct resolution and their respective performance. In fact, my t5745 was also running Win10 with the 4350 and I didn't see any problem with it. Perhaps the graphics card has finally kicked the bucket? Put the card back to my "fat client" and it worked perfectly so it's not dead.

Luckily I have two spare cards to test, a Quadro FX 4500 (underclocked GeForce 7800GTX 512) and a GeForce 9800GT Green Edition (lower clock, no external power needed). With the Quadro installed (with 6-pin power connector plugged in), the fan spins but the motherboard doesn't detect the card, not even in Device Manager. On the other hand, 9800GT works fine and I finally see the Win10 desktop in correct resolution 😀 Maybe NVidia is the way?

Reply 2 of 13, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build- an interesting blend of RGB modern-ness and budget parts from the 2000s. One slightly worrying thing is that machine is better than my daily driver... oh well.

Also, if I were you I'd stick with Windows 7 over 10 simply because 7 tends to be more friendly and lightweight to old hardware and you've got those sweet aero visual effects- Heck I wouldn't put 10 on anything older than an FX-6300, let alone a Socket 754 Sempron.

Reply 3 of 13, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, it's nice to know somebody does this.

I did kinda the same thing but with a Pentium 4.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 13, by OverTallman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
harddrivespin wrote:

Nice build- an interesting blend of RGB modern-ness and budget parts from the 2000s. One slightly worrying thing is that machine is better than my daily driver... oh well.

Also, if I were you I'd stick with Windows 7 over 10 simply because 7 tends to be more friendly and lightweight to old hardware and you've got those sweet aero visual effects- Heck I wouldn't put 10 on anything older than an FX-6300, let alone a Socket 754 Sempron.

Well running Win10 on it is just an proof of concept, more of an afterthought than a goal. The K8 architecture definitely meets Win10's requirement so why not have a try... actually I already had a hands-on experience as I've owned an HP nx6125 before (which is a Socket 754 laptop), I managed to install Win10 32-bit on that thing with all drivers installed (even the Xpress 200M IGP) so I thought I should be able to replicate the success on this build. 64-bit version is a no go though due to lack of some instructions.

Don't worry, no way I'm gonna run Win10 on it in a daily basis, even though it ran okay based on my observation. It'll most likely have XP/7 dual-boot config in the end.

P.S. If this machine is better than your daily driver then I'm really worried 🤣

PcBytes wrote:

Heh, it's nice to know somebody does this.

I did kinda the same thing but with a Pentium 4.

Ironically this was my original plan, originally I was planning to build such machine with a Socket 478 motherboard (as Preshott is too hot to me), but once I found the cheap S754 bundle it sealed the deal, plus the S478 platform isn't without its shortcomings (e.g. lack of good looking coolers, AGP only on most boards, no SATA on some boards, no NX bit etc.)

Still if I can find a bargain P4 system bundle deal locally, I may pull the trigger just to have a try. I'm not really familiar with P4, having leaped from Tualatin to Conroe on my home computer.

Reply 5 of 13, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OverTallman wrote:
Well running Win10 on it is just an proof of concept, more of an afterthought than a goal. The K8 architecture definitely meets […]
Show full quote
harddrivespin wrote:

Well running Win10 on it is just an proof of concept, more of an afterthought than a goal. The K8 architecture definitely meets Win10's requirement so why not have a try... actually I already had a hands-on experience as I've owned an HP nx6125 before (which is a Socket 754 laptop), I managed to install Win10 32-bit on that thing with all drivers installed (even the Xpress 200M IGP) so I thought I should be able to replicate the success on this build. 64-bit version is a no go though due to lack of some instructions.

Don't worry, no way I'm gonna run Win10 on it in a daily basis, even though it ran okay based on my observation. It'll most likely have XP/7 dual-boot config in the end.

Phew, I was worried for a minute!

Oh, and in terms of a daily drivers... all I'm gonna say is I'm part of the glorious Athlon XP master race 😜

Reply 6 of 13, by repaxan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you using 64-bit versions of Windows 7/10? If you are, I'm almost sure that no 754 or 939 CPU supports the CMPXCHG16B instruction that became mandatory in 64-bit Windows 8.1, and you won't be able to upgrade to 10.

Reply 7 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now raise clock, i used the Sempron 2800+ also played Bio Shock, Deadspace and Fallout 3 alot on it.
But these SiS Chipset.. not sure about its Performance.

i used nforce Mainboard and a 9500GT 2Gb PCIe 😀 also 2Gb RAM.

The 2800+ has 64bit and 256Kb L2 Cache, the 3000+ only had 128Kb.

The Sempron is a nice overclocker, mine did 2,3Ghz fine.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 13, by OverTallman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
harddrivespin wrote:
OverTallman wrote:
Well running Win10 on it is just an proof of concept, more of an afterthought than a goal. The K8 architecture definitely meets […]
Show full quote
harddrivespin wrote:

Phew, I was worried for a minute!

Oh, and in terms of a daily drivers... all I'm gonna say is I'm part of the glorious Athlon XP master race 😜

Oh Athlon XP, not too bad then, I thought it'd be something like Coppermine. From what I know it's neck and neck with the early P4 but lack of SSE2 is really its Achilles' heel, considering a lot of programs now require SSE2. Imagine the frustration you can't use your favorite program and have to find an alternative and adapt 🙁

repaxan wrote:

Are you using 64-bit versions of Windows 7/10? If you are, I'm almost sure that no 754 or 939 CPU supports the CMPXCHG16B instruction that became mandatory in 64-bit Windows 8.1, and you won't be able to upgrade to 10.

It's always running 32-bit Windows, I already knew the lack of CMPXCHG16B instruction in DDR K8 chips when I had my nx6125, learned some valuable lessons from it. AFAIK CMPXCHG16B is present starting from DDR2 K8 chips.

matze79 wrote:
Now raise clock, i used the Sempron 2800+ also played Bio Shock, Deadspace and Fallout 3 alot on it. But these SiS Chipset.. not […]
Show full quote

Now raise clock, i used the Sempron 2800+ also played Bio Shock, Deadspace and Fallout 3 alot on it.
But these SiS Chipset.. not sure about its Performance.

i used nforce Mainboard and a 9500GT 2Gb PCIe 😀 also 2Gb RAM.

The 2800+ has 64bit and 256Kb L2 Cache, the 3000+ only had 128Kb.

The Sempron is a nice overclocker, mine did 2,3Ghz fine.

The BIOS does allow me to adjust the CPU clock from 100MHz to 250MHz, I guess it works just like FSB overclocking on Intel platforms? May try it later, right now my Sempron runs very cool, it never exceeded 50 degree C so the cooler should be fine for a mild OC.

Speaking of graphics card, now I'm thinking of getting a Tesla card (not the Tesla compute card, but G80/G90 GPU) as I've had success from the prior test. A recent attempt with a GT 430 was a total failure, couldn't even get to the desktop in Win7 😠

Reply 9 of 13, by OverTallman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About 2 weeks without update, is the project dead? NOPE! Here comes a big update 😁 Took me a while to source the right parts which caused the late update.

New parts

Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GT 430 OC 1GB and XFX GeForce 9500 GT 512MB
9hyqgwUl.jpg
Since I had good luck with an Nvidia 9800 GT from my preliminary test I bought two more low-end Nvidia cards, the CPU's gonna be a bottleneck anyway so I don't think I need to spend big on a graphics card.

Wi-Fi card: B-Link BL-LW04-A2
oq682sbm.jpg
A very common Chinese PCI wireless card that floods the eBay market. The chip is Ralink RT3062F, (theoretically) capable of 300Mbps but no 5GHz band support. Despite its low cost (bought a few of them for £8-10 each in UK) and lack of dual band capability it gives a respectable network speed.

Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST
3xTpZHqm.jpgkUdh0amm.jpg
Just a typical 24x DVD drive, works albeit a bit noisy. It's dirt cheap (only $20!) as its faceplate was missing, no big deal cause I've got an idea to fix it.

Mid-season upgrades

Now I have two Nvidia cards, let's try both. First I tried the GT 430 and... it failed miserably, in fact it's worse than HD 4350 as not only it didn't work in Win10, it didn't work in Win7 as well! The driver simply refused to initialize the card and gave Error 12, I ain't gonna disable a few ports just to make the card work so it looks like Fermi is no go.

How about the older 9500 GT? It's a Tesla card and I've tried a 9800 GT with success, moreover matze79-san was also using a 9500 GT on his/her S754 system so the 9500 GT should work on my system right? Well upon its first boot it didn't show any image, then I realized I forgot to plug in the DVI cable, silly me 😜 For some reason the card won't show image if no video cable is plugged in when it's powered on. I turned on the machine again (this time with the DVI cable plugged in) and installed the latest driver in Win10, after a restart I was finally greeted with Win10's desktop in 1920*1080 resolution 😀

Graphics card sorted out, now I'm focusing on the looks again. Like the motherboard backplate I painted the backplates of the graphics card and the wireless card (using a new can of spray paint), so the back of the machine will look more uniform.
cTbqPx5m.jpg5BaOhDim.jpg

For the DVD drive and its missing faceplate, I reused the front panel cover, cut and sanded down some plastic so it won't get stuck when the disc tray closes. To make up for the 15mm gap between the improvised faceplate and the disc tray I used numerous layers of double sided foam tape stacked together.
HdEsbZPl.jpg

And here's the result 😁
Y0u53f1m.jpgKiphG31m.jpg
Sure it isn't perfect, but it's at least better than nothing. For such a ghetto solution it's really not too shabby.

I've also tidied up the cables, took me a few hours to get the thing right. (And I really hate this part 😠)
22v4dnDl.jpg

Now this build is pretty much done and working well, let's have a look on it. This is probably my favorite build as for now.
6gpKu3wm.jpglrmsnV9m.jpg
uRHrG8Rm.jpgYYxpdElm.jpg
AtFEpHAl.jpg
From now I'm gonna thoroughly test the system and post my findings, overclocking included! Up next I'll state the purpose of this build and christen it, just like what I did to my 10+ laptops. Perhaps some name suggestions?

Reply 10 of 13, by OverTallman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A month has passed, any real progress on the build? Yep, but not as much as you'd expect for a month. At the very least though I'll fulfill my promises in my previous post and share the build's current state.

Objective
I haven't stated the purpose of this build yet, I'm gonna do that now so you may understand the build and the configuration better.

The reason I built this machine... well besides feeling bored and had some cash to burn, I wanted a relatively powerful retro gaming machine. It's not like I don't have an old system, I had a few P2/P3 desktops and several thin clients (mostly VIA based) in storage that can be good candidates for Win98/XP games, but otherwise they're rather too slow for everyday tasks in 2018. No offense to anyone here, old hardwares have their charm, I like tinkering with old computers too, but space is limited in HK, I can't just stuff a lot of PCs that I rarely use in my home, therefore I want a do-it-all machine that can play old games well while also acceptable for average Joe work, so I can use it as a backup machine in case my workhorse decides to strike. Apart from that, old parts are rather hard to find as we don't have luxuries like eBay and Craigslist here, so I'd like to use newer stuff in place of period correct hardware.

As such, I've laid out my main requirements/preferences on the build:
1. Has good Windows XP/7 support, better if it also supports Windows 98 and 10
2. Preferably has SSE2, considering Win7 has recently dropped support for SSE2-less CPUs (screw you M$ 😠 )
3. Able to use modern PSU and 12V CPU power plug
4. Must have USB 2.0 onboard
5. Preferably have a PCIe x16 slot and/or 2 SATA ports

With such tight constraints, I've locked myself into K8/S775 or newer hardware, or S462/S478 if I forgo the PCIe slot (as well as SSE2 for S462). I crossed out S462, S478 and S775 P4 due to different reasons: S462 for lack of SSE2 and fragile dies, S478 for lack of cooler choice, S775 P4 for being too hot and power hungry (except Cedar Mill).

S775 Core 2 Duo is a viable path: parts are cheap and readily available, with great performance. However, I already have a supped-up Conroe desktop in my home (precisely it's a Lenovo SFF desktop), having two similar machines just make me bored and unimpressed. Besides, what's the challenge of it? It's just too easy to build a C2D system and get it up and running. Then I found the cheap S754 system bundle and I was set on it. I haven't experienced on AMD systems a lot before so that's another good reason to go for it 😀

Name christening
What about the name? Actually I've already decided, from now on this machine will bear the name of "Reinforce"!

And now you may ask the million dollar question, where the hell does this name come from? Well, if you're into Gundam series this name should sound familiar to you, as this is the name of a space cruiser in Mobile Suit Victory Gundam. 11 years later this name was reused in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's for another character.

I chose this name for several reasons:
1. The main hardware is old, with some parts dating back to 2004/2005. Reinforce in MGLN is part of an ancient tome existing for centuries before A's story.
2. The build's main color scheme is black, blue and purple, similar to Reinforce in MGLN (black and dark blue outfit, purple magic color)
3. The build is a mix of old and new parts, similar to Reinforce in MSVG. The battleship was later rebuilt into a more substantial one (aka Reinforce Junior) with parts from a captured enemy battleship.

The name may sound silly... well the truth is I just wanna jump on the PC naming bandwagon like others, but with some real meaning in it rather than just slapping a random name 😅

Operating systems

Now the machine is good to go, I can finally get to the software part. As mentioned above it's gonna be a multi-purpose PC: being a powerful retro gaming machine as well as a backup PC that I can rely on. Therefore, I'm gonna do WinXP/Win7 dual boot on its single HDD: WinXP gets 100GB, Win7 gets ~200GB. After a few nights I managed to get both OS running and with the latest updates installed. I've also used EasyBCD to tweak the boot menu so it shows "Windows XP" instead of "Earlier version of Windows".

Windows XP
1P7LAkZl.jpg
"Official XP Themes Pack" (by SpringsTS-san) installed, currently using Embedded theme with "New Bliss" wallpaper (from Royale theme).

Windows 7
zQaIaHCl.jpg
Stock Win7 theme with Aero effect enabled, really who doesn't like bling blings? Wallpaper comes from my collection of 1800+ (and still increasing) anime wallpapers 😁 By the way they are the two heroines in MGLN series, talk about theme matching...

Curiously, on this machine Win7 actually runs better than WinXP: programs load faster, system feels more responsive, less stuttering... overall I'm really happy with its performance on Win7, despite only having a slow single core Sempron and 2GB RAM. On the other hand I'll have to investigate on the issues on WinXP, it should run better than that. Gotta get a better-looking theme for WinXP too, compared to Win7 it just looks plain. More work to do 😵

Overclocking

CPU overclock
Well both the Sempron and the motherboard don't support multiplier change, which means bus overclocking is the way. [Insert Ugandan Knuckles meme here]
zHdLUj8l.jpg
After some trial-and-error, 225 was the best I can get, 230 would cause the system to not POST. Also, I had to downclock the RAM to 333MHz otherwise the system would easily lock up or get BSOD, the motherboard manual does say it'll dial down the memory to 333MHz when both slots are used so not a big loss here.

Anyway, it's a 12.5% bump from its default bus speed (200) and my little Sempron now goes from 1.4GHz to 1.58GHz!! And since the memory controller is in the CPU, the memory also gets overclocked from 333MHz to 350MHz!! Two birds with one stone 😀
Y6DfPDn.jpg lb1W7rU.jpg
Temperature looks good too: 41 degree C in BIOS.
IaFtgPVl.jpg

GPU overclock
OCing graphics card is easier and more straightforward cause it can be done with software. I used MSI Afterburner as I'm familiar with it, plus it has a few more functions that can be handy.
MlgKUyol.jpg
With default setting I can go up to 715MHz core/520MHz memory but I stepped back to 650MHz core/450MHz for stability and less heat. I believe it's bottlenecked by the slow Sempron even at stock speed so I don't think I need to go hardcore on GPU OC.

Alright, OC is done, what's next? Well, stress test it! I'm gonna fire up a few benchmark programs and some of my favorite PC games 😈 Besides that, I'll have to work on the WinXP part more, it looks kinda desolate at the moment.

Reply 12 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least you have a 256Kb Cache Sempron.
Many have only 128Kb..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 13, by OverTallman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

Cool build mate! Nice mix of the old and new going on 😀

Thanks, I may do another retro build with a mix of new/old parts in the future, I just need to look for suitable candidates and see if I can free up some space in my home.

matze79 wrote:

At least you have a 256Kb Cache Sempron.
Many have only 128Kb..

AFAIK in the S754 realm, Sempron 2600+, 3000+, 3300+ have 128KB L2 cache. They're just the 2800+, 3100+, 3400+ with half the L2 cache respectively, otherwise they're the same. Kinda ironic a puny 2500+ would have more L2 cache than some of its faster bros.

Anyway, this Sempron is more of a stopgap solution, I'm planning to get an S754 Athlon with 50-60W TDP. I've seen one for sale in eBay before, but without money... 🙁