VOGONS

First post, by lion2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in the 90's I was amazed at the CD Audio tracks available for some games. I always used to think that they had live bands/orchestra's recording the music. However, as I got older and was able to listen to MIDI tracks using Roland Sound Canvas's, those old CD Audio tracks seemed to sound a lot like them.

So were many of those songs just recorded tracks from high end synthesizers? Probably cheaper to do that than hire a band or orchestra.

Reply 3 of 11, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Only the really lazy ones (i.e. Hexen)

Total Annihilation is no live performance and I wouldn't call it lazy.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The composer told us what he used.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150608014644/ht … cles/jeehun.htm

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 11, by lion2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Only the really lazy ones (i.e. Hexen)

Why would a developer have to be lazy to use a high-end midi device? A lot of studios were small back in the 90's so I assume the logistics of hiring a band would've increased development costs.

BTW, I found a posts that states that the CD Audio from Lunar Eternal Blue was recorded straight from a synth
https://amp.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comment … d_in_old_video/

Reply 8 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I mentioned Hexen because its CD audio tracks are literally the same MIDI tracks but rendered from a SoundCanvas. It's one of the laziest ones out there, and Raven's done better effort for CD audio on a couple games prior to Hexen

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 11, by lion2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I mentioned Hexen because its CD audio tracks are literally the same MIDI tracks but rendered from a SoundCanvas. It's one of the laziest ones out there, and Raven's done better effort for CD audio on a couple games prior to Hexen

I understand now. They didn't make any effort to make the CD Audio tracks sound unique.