VOGONS

DgVoodoo 1 Discussion Thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 341, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

OK, I'm looking forward to it! 😎 But, I'm not expert in dx9, haven't learnt too much of it yet. 😀

Much appreciated. I have the sourceforge project accepted, but I'll probably try to complete the shaders version of the combine unit before uploading the cvs repository.

Ah, yes, regenerating the texture by hw, it's clever. 😎 There's another method to do it, without pixelshaders: bump mapping. It may sounds weird, but it can be done: using the palette indices as delta u values in the thin palettetexture. Only one extra stage is needed in the pixel pipeline, the bump mapping stage which perturbs the texture coordinates of the next stage.

That's brilliant. I looked for something like that. I'd sussed that interpreting color values as texture coordinates was the trick, but never suspected that bump mapping was a way to implement it. Pixel shaders have a few instructions that are precisely for using color as coords, but its very nice to have a way without relying on pixel shaders.

Of course, there are some optimizations like regenerating texture only in the "last minute", when it's really has to be regenerated (caching the palette changes), and checking if the texture uses the changed palette entries, etc.

Yeah I think I get that right, although there may be a bug. In OpenGlide, I cached several device textures per paletted texture, one for each used palette. Works brilliantly for Blood, but for RB it would run my machine out of virtual memory. 😁

But the most important is to use high performance converting code in a direct 3dfx data->dx texture surface conversion. I'm using self-modifying 😊 mmx code, as I unified and rewrote all format converters in 1.40 to be able to convert from any format->any format.

I'm using a call D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory. Does the conversion for you, and - silly me - I'd imagined it would be implemented using all the enhancements available. Guess Microsoft thought speed wasn't too important. 😒 Hmmm, that's a shame. I'm not too fond of , or good at, writing mmx code.

Reply 142 of 341, by INGA-KX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Well, could someone send me a savegame of a level in Carmageddon where the fog should be black, plz? (now that i come to think o […]
Show full quote

Well, could someone send me a savegame of a level in Carmageddon where the fog should be black, plz? (now that i come to think of it, can gameplays be saved at all in Carma? 😁 )

I've finished the first 3 levels or so, in the days of long-ago. 😀

EDIT:
Ok, I've had a look at Carma and dgV again. Carma seems not to set the fog color, but relies on its default value (which is 0, so that black). Setting the default was missed in dgv. I've fixed it, now first 2 levels have black fog, 3rd is fogless. Is it what it should be? And now my question is, which level should have white fog? 😁 😁

You could use Glidos to test Carmageddon and the win95 executable for Splat Pack, both will display fog accurately. Download one of those cheating savegames with the whole load of levels unlocked and try'em out, one by one. There's white fog in so many places it would be pointless to get them listed here.

Anyways, it's been a while since I had the chance to go online hence missed your old question on the fog colors (sorry), still, I'm happy you could improve stuff for 1.40 final 😁

Sadly, Carmageddon is now officially unplayable under 1.40 final. I'm not sure about what setting I might have set wrong (or if it's simply something broken in this version) but it's so slow even the menu takes ages to spin 😒

Reply 144 of 341, by amano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the release.

2 points:

1) Wouldn't it be better to help Dege with his wrapper rather than creating a new one. I wish there was a wrapper that was best for all games. And PS support for dgVoodoo could certainly improve its compatibility as well.

2) For DOS games you recommend on your site to simply place the .dll in C:\program files\ glidos
But how should any DOS game find it here :amano_confused:

Reply 145 of 341, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. I don't think DGVoodoo is opensource whereas PSVoodoo is most likely based off the OpenGlide code and is open source. Also it's easier for Paul to support something he knows for his product (GliDos) than something he doesn't (DGVoodoo)

2. GliDos use the glide2x.dll to emulate Glide. Placing this file in the GliDos directory allows GliDos to use it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 146 of 341, by amano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thannks for the reply:

ad 1) I don't have an advantage from software that is open source. If Dege shares his source just with another developer would be fine for me.

2) OOOH. Sorry. Forgot about that glidos is a separate program. I just thought that he would want me to put the .dll into a plain directory called \glidos\.
Oh, my.

Keep up your good work, GLidos + Dege.
😉

Reply 147 of 341, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Open source means exactly the advantage you mention is possible. Since the source is visible, anyone can make contributions to psVoodoo, or they can make use of the source in their own wrapper. i.e.. if the pixel shader code in psVoodoo is suitable for use in dgVoodoo, then Dege can use it, or maybe just the algorithms coded differently. Although... Dege probably likes to do things his own way; I know I do. 😀

Reply 148 of 341, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A quick warning. psVoodoo doesn't work very well with Glidos at the moment. There's a nasty bug in Glidos to do with frame buffer reading. OpenGLide tolerates the bug, but psVoodoo doesn't at the moment. I completely forgot about this because I fixed my local copy of Glidos. I'm not expecting to release another version of Glidos for a while, so I'll make a more tolerant version of psVoodoo soon, but until then best not use it with Glidos.

Reply 152 of 341, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I open the game, I can hear sound but nothing is showing. I'm using the glide2x.dll file that came with Glidos, could that be the problem? The glide2x.dll that came with dgvoodo gave me an error saying "'dgvoodoo is set to work as a VDD. You cannot run serverprocess!".

Reply 153 of 341, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never tried running dgVoodoo under Windows 2000 so I'm not sure if running it in VDD mode will work. You might want to try it as if you're running it under Windows 9x first. Follow these steps.

1. Copy the files dgVoodoo.exe, dgVoodoo.vxd, glide2x.dll, glide2x.ovl and dgVoodooSetup.exe to your Windows folder.

2. Make shortcuts to dgVoodoo.exe and dgVoodooSetup.exe on your desktop.

3. Run dgVoodooSetup and uncheck the 'working as VDD' option if it's checked and click ok.

4. Run dgVoodoo.exe. When the dialog box saying you can run DOS-Glide apps opens, try to run the game while the dialog box is still open.

If it doesn't work in server mode, go back and recheck the VDD mode option in the setup utility and try running the game without running dgVoodoo.exe.

Make sure you don't have any other glide files in the game's or Windows' folder from Glidos or other wrappers. dgVoodoo only works with the provided files.

Good Luck. 😀

Reply 157 of 341, by Borg Number One

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

dgVoodoo is the best glide/3dfx wrapper, which currently exists.
Especially the VESA to Direct3D wrapper is great!!!.
This makes it possible to run VESA applications as fast as possible in a Window,
without using emulators like VMWARE, BOCHS, Virtual PC, DOSBOX and SVista.

To run GTA in 3dfx mode, you have to copy the DOS glide driver (in this case it is the wrapper): "glide2x.ovl" to:
GTA\GTADOS

Well, is there a general way to define and to "tell" each 3dfx dos program,
where the "glide2x.ovl" driver is?
(e.g with the help of a SET variable)
Or does each 3dfx dos program checks the "path=" variable to find "glide2x.ovl"?

GTA screenshots

There is a small bug:
In the readme.txt file is mentioned that you do not need to run dgvesa.com
in Win2K/XP.
However, that is not correct. If you do not load the driver then,
GTA will not correctly start, because in the windowed console,
there is no real VESA hardware available.

Either you switch the dos console window to full screen before you start gta
or you load dgvesa.

The mentioned feature that the dgvoodoo server automatically detects
new opened console window and automatically wrap VESA commands to
the dgvoodoo server (without using dgvesa.com) is not available.

...you have to load dgvesa even in windows 2k/XP... if you want to wrap VESA to dgvoodoo.

Attachments

• Filename
    gta.png
    File size
    2.8 MiB
    Downloads
    1996 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 158 of 341, by Borg Number One

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

Even Scitech's vbetest (google: "vbetest.exe" or "univbe67") do not detect any VESA compatible card if:
the console window is not in fullscreen mode and if there is no dgvesa.com loaded.

a.)
In fullscreen mode, vbetest.exe detects the/your real graphics card / VESA hardware intervece.

b.)
in windowed mode and if dgvesa.com was loaded,
you can see great VESA moire test patterns in vbetest.exe.

To improove automatically VESA detection/wrapping in Win2K/XP (without manually loading dgvesa.com)
you should use: vbetest.exe. 😉

All the time I tried both methods:
using dgvoodoo in VDD mode
and as stand alone application.

Attachments

• Filename
    vesatest.png
    File size
    84.92 KiB
    Downloads
    253 downloads
    File license