VOGONS

First post, by madrobby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya,

Just documenting the steps I needed to do to get the CT2800 to work in Windows 98SE, and for DOS mode under Windows 98; just in case someone else runs into the issues I had.

The CT2800 is a plug-and-play 16-bit ISA card, and is sort of a bare-bones Soundblaster 16. It was sold as the "SoundBlaster 16 Value", and has a Creative Vibra 16S chip and a real Yamaha OPL-3 FM synth. Like other Soundblaster 16 models it can also act as a MPU-401 for external MIDI devices and it does have the Waveblaster header.

To make this card work under Windows 98, you will need the "Win95_Dos_Applications" download: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =65&menustate=0. I've installed these in C:\SB16

1. After installing the card, run "Add New Hardware" in Windows 98, and let it detect and setup the card.
2. For me, it wouldn't detect the MPU-401 support, so I manually installed the Microsoft MPU-401 driver using "Add New Hardware".
3. In DOS mode, run DIAGNOSE.EXE to add the BLASTER variable to your AUTOEXEC.BAT.
4. Add a call to DIAGNOSE /S in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. This should make sure the MPU-401 works in DOS & Windows.

That's it!

Good luck with the CT2800. I really like this card as it has a real line-out, relatively low noise floor, a real OPL-3 and it works great with DOS and Windows games. You may or may not run into the "hanging notes bug" with the MPU-401 MIDI support. I haven't tried the Waveblaster header yet, but I do have a brand new X2 to play around with, so I'll do that next when I have some time. 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just bought this same card. I had to use seperate drivers for windows but these ones for DOS. I had to use the Readme file and set up the sound card exactly as it said in order for everything to work.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 2 of 3, by __U_Dy__

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have a link to the readme for this card? I just bought one of these CT2800's off EBAY and installed it in my Win98 box in two different ISA slots, ran the add new hardware wizard for both PNP and non-PNP and it did not detect anything. Do I need to install software first to get Windows to even detect it? It just doesn't show up. Another note this HP from 1998 also has an onboard Crystal audio chip that cannot be disabled from BIOS that I can see. Thanks in advance!

Reply 3 of 3, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had an issue with vintage cards but working right away, possibly due to the capacitors having aged. It's possible that leaving it on or power cycling a couple of times might help.

If it's plug-n-play then it should show up in device manager automatically. It's the non-pnp versions that need to be installed manually.

How do the capacitors look on it? Also grab a flashlight and inspect for missing smd components and broken traces. I encounter this a lot with old hardware.