VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the idea of making a few videos on some interesting computers and a few computer related topics

the videos would be FAR less technical than other youtubers with no real emphasis on graphs and fine details numbers. More of a loose satirical feel about older machines and old computer related things in general.

Some of my ideas I don't want to give away because i haven't seen them covered yet.

My question is this...... I cannot overcome the feeling that it wouldn't be worth making them because the views would be very low. If you know nobody will watch it it's very discouraging in terms of making it. Do you think given the number of old computer channels that it would be worth a try or not?

I do have a channel that has some decent views with things that are not computer related but instead are sort of nerd related to start off with.

Reply 2 of 12, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote:

Your ideas are secret, so the extent of attraction remains to be seen. Make the videos, see what happens. Advertise beyond vogons.

do you think it would be at all sleezy to promote videos i make on a computer forum?

Reply 3 of 12, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i used to think the same way. but i made a bunch and it's nice to reach out to people - it's not a competition. Not everyone is going to be LGR.

plus it gives me a good excuse to keep collecting stuff.

emosun wrote:
I had the idea of making a few videos on some interesting computers and a few computer related topics […]
Show full quote

I had the idea of making a few videos on some interesting computers and a few computer related topics

the videos would be FAR less technical than other youtubers with no real emphasis on graphs and fine details numbers. More of a loose satirical feel about older machines and old computer related things in general.

Some of my ideas I don't want to give away because i haven't seen them covered yet.

My question is this...... I cannot overcome the feeling that it wouldn't be worth making them because the views would be very low. If you know nobody will watch it it's very discouraging in terms of making it. Do you think given the number of old computer channels that it would be worth a try or not?

I do have a channel that has some decent views with things that are not computer related but instead are sort of nerd related to start off with.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 4 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like that other Vogons make videos. I already subscribed to two or three of our fellows here. Some things are better presented in video format than in long boring forum posts. 😀 Some other things such as technical discussions are better handled in this forum, and wouldn't fit in the video format.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. I make them as a side hobby, hoping that one or two fellow people may enjoy them, too.
That's more than enough for me. So I'd say go on, just try. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 12, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just do it is all I can say. Advertise when you can and keep making content, you'll eventually build up an audience. Took me a long time but I've managed to accrue about 200 people who consistently watch my game reviews and music gear reviews/music educational stuff, and that has grown significantly over time and it seems like the progress has gotten quicker as time has gone on. Even then, views aren't really the focus of making videos, educating people and having fun is.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 7 of 12, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leaning on the existing sentiment here : just do it, and have fun doing it.
The viewers will come and go, but some will stay if it's visible that you have fun.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 8 of 12, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you put passion into what you produce and are proud of it, have confidence to promote it.

And heck - It is possible I wouldn't have found Davejustdave's YouTube channel if I didn't browse vogons as often as I do. As it is, I am trying to make sure my channel doesn't seem too console-centric due to how interested I am in vintage computers.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 9 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:

If you put passion into what you produce and are proud of it, have confidence to promote it.

And heck - It is possible I wouldn't have found Davejustdave's YouTube channel if I didn't browse vogons as often as I do. As it is, I am trying to make sure my channel doesn't seem too console-centric due to how interested I am in vintage computers.

Subscribed! Would be nice if we could form a Vogons meta YouTube channel, where we have a view of all the new videos Vogons are posting.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 10 of 12, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:
CkRtech wrote:

Subscribed! Would be nice if we could form a Vogons meta YouTube channel, where we have a view of all the new videos Vogons are posting.

Agreed. Vogons-YouTube support group. Ha!

Gave you a return sub, root42.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 11 of 12, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would also support that! Maybe a separate sub-sub-forum? 😀

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 12 of 12, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

awwwww that makes me want to get up off my ass and make more videos. 😀

CkRtech wrote:

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave