VOGONS

Duke Nukem 3D over floppies

Topic actions

First post, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have wanted to play DN3D on my 486 machine for a while, however I have not been able to as my only means of transferring data over to it is via floppy.

I took the largest file in the shareware version of DN3D and split it into 5 files, which was a painstaking 1-hour process, and when I used HJ-Split to join the files on the 3.1 PC, it simply causes the hard drive to click and Windows to become completely unresponsive. Should I just let it go or is it simply hung up and crashed if it's just ticking and unresponsive?

No other program makes the machine do that, so it's definitely either HJ-Split is using all of the resources and writing a little bit of data at a time (5 MB in total, slow hard drive) OR HJ-Split is unstable and causes the entire system to crash just after beginning to write data, and it causes the hard drive head to move back and forth continuously.

So, splitting the main file is just totally out of the question and I'm left with a headache bothering with it.

Is there a floppy-friendly (as in, disk 1 image disk 2 image etc.) of any version of Duke Nukem 3D?

Or is it worth it to just buy a ZIP drive and some ZIP disks off of eBay and stop bothering with it? The only problem would be I'd need a USB drive as well, as I am using a modern (2008) computer with no serial or parallel to connect the legacy drive to.

Any help appreciated!

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 2 of 23, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried it without disk spanning and obviously it didn't work, but I will try it with and see if it does.

Is there a version that will run on Windows 7 that will make files the Windows 3.1 version can read? Or is it just a set of standard .zip files when using disk spanning?

Ultrax
__

Reply 3 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ultrax wrote:

Is there a floppy-friendly (as in, disk 1 image disk 2 image etc.) of any version of Duke Nukem 3D?

Only the shareware ones.

1.3D registered/commercial only ever came on CD. 1.4/1.5 were on CD and requires the CD to run. 1.5 had a few digital releases (still not floppies) but they're all pulled for World Tour by now, just mentioning that to be complete.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 23, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only shareware copies I've been able to find have all been 7 MB ZIP files, and not split into separate disks. Is it a specific version of the shareware?

Ultrax
__

Reply 6 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The floppy release of Version 1.3 shareware has filenames running from 3DDN13-A.ZIP to 3DDN13-E.ZIP. Source:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961222190001/ht … e3d/dukeftp.htm

Mirrors are still available:

http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/msdos/games/3drealms/
http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/files/index/msdos/games/3drealms/
http://ftp.gameaholic.com/pub/mirrors/ftp.cdr … s/duke3d/split/

It's interesting that this Apogee FAQ apparently has incorrect/outdated information about the floppy release, although it does look like some sites used filenames without the hyphens:

http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/3.1.3.shtml

Still, it may help folks looking for other shareware titles that are split as well.

Reply 7 of 23, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have the game installed on a computer somewhere, just use ARJ/RAR or any other archiver that will automatically split the archive into floppy-sized parts, and seamlessly join them on the other hand. PKZIP is the worst solution for it, since it has no sane, built-in way to manage multi-volume archives.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 23, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ultrax wrote:

Or is it worth it to just buy a ZIP drive and some ZIP disks off of eBay and stop bothering with it? The only problem would be I'd need a USB drive as well, as I am using a modern (2008) computer with no serial or parallel to connect the legacy drive to.

Any help appreciated!

gca wrote:

Any chance of you putting a NIC in the machine and copying the files via a network connection? Would save you a lot of hassle.

This is the better/cheaper solution than buying a ZIP drive, far less headaches than transferring via floppies. Not just for DN3D but anything else you want to transfer from your new machine to your 486. I've also had far too many instances of floppies written one on PC not being able to be read by a different one. No tears were shed by me when floppies became obsolete.

Reply 9 of 23, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use e.g. ARJ to split anything you want to floppies. just use -v1440 as a parameter and the archive will be automatically split.

go to your game directory and do

arj a dn3d -v1440 -r -y

where dn3d is the name you want.

Reply 10 of 23, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I put the shareware version onto a set of floppies and now I'm kicking alien ass 😁
Thanks for all the help and support.

Also, I will consider that. I have a parallel/serial card in the second ISA slot (there are only 2 on this 486) but it's not necessary (I rarely ever use those connectors, and the machine already has a set of them buit onto the motherboard.)

Would it work to take an old wireless router and use that connected to the network interface card? A whole new Wifi network, just for my 486 😁
iirc, Every computer connected to the router including its Ethernet ports, will show up in Windows Explorer under the Network tab, where I can add files there.

Ultrax
__

Reply 11 of 23, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

If you have the game installed on a computer somewhere, just use ARJ/RAR or any other archiver that will automatically split the archive into floppy-sized parts, and seamlessly join them on the other hand. PKZIP is the worst solution for it, since it has no sane, built-in way to manage multi-volume archives.

Errr PKZIP has automatic disk spanning. I used to use it all the time before CD-Rs. Hardly the "worst solution"...

Reply 13 of 23, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disagree. There were plenty of DOS archivers that didn't even have the option for split volumes or disk spanning.

Furthermore, after splitting with ARJ you still have to manually copy the files to each floppy individually. PKZIP will do it automatically.

Reply 14 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The biggest problem with disk spanning is disk failure. You could use the DOS v1.1 client for PArchive.
http://parchive.sourceforge.net/#clients

A DOS client for v2.0 files might be possible, although it would probably be easiest via cross compilation. It would likely require some work to make sure autotools and either DJGPP or OpenWatcom cooperate with the latest source.
https://github.com/Parchive/par2cmdline

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 23, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i was stuck in the same situation, wasted so much time with discs and errors.

I got a ide - > cf card reader for under $10 1gb cf card and formatted with fdisk to 504mb and fat. Plug to pc with a cf - > usb converter copy files.

Attach to your 486 hard disk controller card, configure in bios and play.
I got mine as a slave also on a 486 which has the 504mb limit

Reply 16 of 23, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote:

Disagree. There were plenty of DOS archivers that didn't even have the option for split volumes or disk spanning.

I didn't mention those, did I? I guess I should have not said "all other DOS archivers", but rather "the ones I mentioned".

BTW, how does PKZIP distinguish the different volumes? Which filenames does it assign?

Plasma wrote:

Furthermore, after splitting with ARJ you still have to manually copy the files to each floppy individually. PKZIP will do it automatically.

Not true, ARJ and RAR both have an auto-detect option for multiple volumes.

Furthermore, it is actually good to create the split volumes on the drive, and then copy them to floppies. Floppies are notoriously unreliable. Would you want a faulty floppy in volume 7 out of 10 force you to start the whole thing from scratch?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 17 of 23, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Plasma wrote:

I didn't mention those, did I? I guess I should have not said "all other DOS archivers", but rather "the ones I mentioned".

Well you just answered your own question. ARJ and RAR are not even close to "all other DOS archivers."

dr_st wrote:

BTW, how does PKZIP distinguish the different volumes? Which filenames does it assign?

It uses the volume label on the disk.

dr_st wrote:
Plasma wrote:

Not true, ARJ and RAR both have an auto-detect option for multiple volumes.

Furthermore, it is actually good to create the split volumes on the drive, and then copy them to floppies. Floppies are notoriously unreliable. Would you want a faulty floppy in volume 7 out of 10 force you to start the whole thing from scratch?

That might be a good idea today, when hard drive space is plentiful and new floppies are low quality and unreliable. It was an unnecessary and sometimes impossible step back when we actually needed to do this.

Reply 18 of 23, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I think of it (bit late now). If you have a null modem cable you could have used interlink to copy the files over (I'm assuming MS-DOS 6 or better here) via the com ports. Not fast but it does skip the need to add an additional card to a machine.

Reply 19 of 23, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
treeman wrote:
i was stuck in the same situation, wasted so much time with discs and errors. […]
Show full quote

i was stuck in the same situation, wasted so much time with discs and errors.

I got a ide - > cf card reader for under $10 1gb cf card and formatted with fdisk to 504mb and fat. Plug to pc with a cf - > usb converter copy files.

Attach to your 486 hard disk controller card, configure in bios and play.
I got mine as a slave also on a 486 which has the 504mb limit

I almost went for one of those, but the limited read/write cycles of the CF card kind of ruined it. My 486 is used for other things than games, like word processing and basic webpage development 🤣
I am going to get one for my Pentium machine, however. No original hard drive and finding a good 2 GB IDE drive is a pita

Ultrax
__