VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i have too fast machine problem with couple of pure Dos games, but its not typical runtime 200 problem (solved in added solvers into myDrivers and Utils package folder RunTE200), for which i found several patching utilities.. and its repeating problem with error number 6003. I tried to find fix, i didnt find nothing, only fix for some clipper library. Pleas dont error Runtime errors 200 here..

Workaround is use some slowdown utility like Setmul or Slowdos etc, but there are situation (for example is known that it not working with Aureal Vortex Sound drivers) where such utilities cant be used, as for example when you are using Aureal Vortex 1 dos driver, they need some CPU power that you have after L1 cache turn off when on fast Xeon 5660, its machien too slow to play 286 games.. and normal slow down utils like slowdos arent able to bypass this problem.

Is same able to analyse *.exe files bellow and perhaps find source of this problem, some pattern.. with which would be possible create patch for this problem?

Affected games (report other pleas):
Castlevania - 1990
Civilization I - there is mgraphics fix here: Fix Civilization I and probably lots of others Microprose games for new computers.. I need help with Hex editor magic.
Stargunner (thx to halfmoon ) (published by Apogee) also has this issue on my P2 400Mhz using pure DOS - 'Runtime error R6003 integer divide by 0' when entering the setup or after the intro finishes playing. Even disabling the CPU caches or slowing down the CPU using MoSlo doesn't let me proceed so I have no way of playing it on that machine.
Grand prix The Cycles - Accolade
WIzzardry VII - there is some Pentium patch - untested on my side so far, i just found it.
Wizzardry VI - ther is patch for it too, untested by me.
Earl Weaver's Baseball

Same error message without error number:
Lotus III - fix, manual hex editing, its working for some of my machines, but on my X58 it enable me to go ingame - Intro is playing with sound on Vortex1, but keyboard is not working.. it could be not good enough fix, or additional problem fix needs to be fixed.

There is also similar speed problem with Mgraphic.exe specific for Microprose games:
Fix Civilization I and probably lots of others Microprose games for new computers.. I need help with Hex editor magic.

There is list of speed sensitive games - report them pleas and some fixes, some proven max. speed and find here some errors and fixed them, but there could be other false reports - usually related to other HW issues than CPU speed.
- note not all of these games have R6003 error, lots of them have Runtime 200 Turbo pascal library speed bug, or its possible to make them working with Slowdos (which is still sub-optimal and fix is welcome).

I saw with couple other games, but i dont remember names. If you will report them, i will add them to list.

Attachments

• Filename
    R6003-Exes.zip
    File size
    201.16 KiB
    Downloads
    475 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by ruthan on 2019-01-17, 12:52. Edited 23 times in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 19, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The error 200 is a typical Turbo Pascal error when running on Pentium whit more that 150 Mhz.

There was a universal tool to fix all those error 200 failures by patching the exe file. Like PatchCRT http://www.pcmicro.com/elebbs/faq/rte200.html

The other error i did not encountered.

I had the Error 200 whit "The Mutation of J.B.": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_of_J.B. And the PatchCrT resolved this problem

Reply 3 of 19, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roman78: Runtime 200 is solvable i did link to my package of solvers in first top, this thread is really about other error.

Rawit: Thanks, i tried to search for such thread before my post.. lets hope that other games would be possible to fix too.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 4 of 19, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I searched a bit, don't if you also found this information and tried it. It is some kind of Clipper error.

Try this:
Open the exe whit a hex-editor and search for

B8 52 17 8B CA 33 D2 F7 F1

and replace F7 F1 whit 90 90 and save it.

Source: http://dailytroubleshooting.com/solved-runtim … er-divide-by-0/

There also was to tool, called ToolS3.zip, but the server is down.

Source: https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=35252

Reply 5 of 19, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Clipper is also mentioned i first post, i could make mistake by i tried to find this pattern in problematic games and no match. I personally mean that is because there not using clipper / there is more pattern to make this error to happen.

Reply 6 of 19, by halfmoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game Stargunner (published by Apogee) also has this issue on my P2 400Mhz using pure DOS - 'Runtime error R6003 integer divide by 0' when entering the setup or after the intro finishes playing. Even disabling the CPU caches or slowing down the CPU using MoSlo doesn't let me proceed so I have no way of playing it on that machine.

Reply 7 of 19, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
halfmoon wrote:

The game Stargunner (published by Apogee) also has this issue on my P2 400Mhz using pure DOS - 'Runtime error R6003 integer divide by 0' when entering the setup or after the intro finishes playing. Even disabling the CPU caches or slowing down the CPU using MoSlo doesn't let me proceed so I have no way of playing it on that machine.

Thanks added to list, its interesting that disabling L1 cache is not working (i recommend use setmul l1d), its usually working, but depends on sound drivers, could be too slow..

Reply 8 of 19, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't Chasm: The Rift suffer this problem as well?

I vaguely remember getting a division by zero error trying to run that in a hardware assisted MS-DOS VM.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 19, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Doesn't Chasm: The Rift suffer this problem as well?

I vaguely remember getting a division by zero error trying to run that in a hardware assisted MS-DOS VM.

I did testing, its broken even in Dosbox with speed 3000, its other know error Runtime error 200 for it exist lots of fixing tools. Chasm.exe and PS.exe has to be fixed.

Reply 11 of 19, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malva wrote:

Does anyone know how to fix the R6003 error on Earl Weaver's Baseball?

I dont cant be have solution, we need more knowledge and developer, on very fast systems you can solve it with setmul l1d and Phils now have some video how on very old Socket 7 systems set zillions levels of speed, maybe you will be able to find some its speed where error will not occurs.

If you can upload *.exe it could help in future, but i really thing than we need someone able to use Codeview, Insight and other debugger tool, to find out on which instructions it crashes.. and after that fix it, maybe add some NOPs (waits) or replace it with code with not fails on new machines..

I just found out that there is some pentium fix for WIzzardry 7 and 6 so maybe someone could just compare unfixed and fixed error on hex level a find out what exactly was fixed..
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/patches.htm

Reply 13 of 19, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turtles has this same error message (R6003). I have SR1100SF Compaq Presario with Intel Celeron D processor 335 (2,80 GHz) and Intel 845GE Chipset. Windows 98SE and using DOS mode for this game. This game is however playable if you run the game multiple times - about 20 times or sometimes it can run on first attempt. This only works without any tools if I don't initialize YMF724 PCI sound card at the same time meaning only PC Speaker for sound effects.

If I want to use YMF sound card for AdLib sounds rather than PC Speaker with this game I use this tool http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS for this game. I use Throttle setting 7 and with that I can run this game with AdLib sounds. In this way I have to also run this game multiple times before I can actually play it. Works perfectly after you get into the game. It is definitely not slow or too fast to play! Works just like with the 486 computer.

I tried to use SetMul but I can't disable my L2 cache from my computer's BIOS so apparently SetMul can't fool my BIOS so no go here. Disabling cache 1 with SetMul made no difference to my computer. I tried MoSlo but I had terrible time to make it run properly with it. Throttle.exe works great though since it's no TSR. It manipulates computer hardware directly and mine is supported. Computers made around 1996 and after probably are supported.

I can easily run Throttle and set computer speed back to normal with batch files. I made throttle.bat for each problematic game. Perhaps this is not a proper fix but I thought I share it with others anyway. Also Warcraft 1 and 2 benefited from Throttle because otherwise those games have too fast scrolling with mouse or keyboard.

Also I noticed when I used Throttle.exe with Second Reality it almost worked properly. Only one animation was missing. Before this tool a lot of animations were missing. It gives the error R6003 here as well. Text appears and disappears very quickly at one point in the video and video remains black for a while but music plays just fine. You can download Second Reality from here. http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=63

[EDIT: I also fixed screwed up joystick from Golden Axe with Throttle. Amazing tool! I'm very impressed!]

[EDIT2: It turns out there is a bug in Second Reality Demo Video and if you place the second.exe and reality.fc files into the root of C:\ or one subfolder down at most it fixes the R6003 and particle spring animation is visible! Somebody told this very simple fix in this link (https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3391&letter=S).]

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me

Reply 15 of 19, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chasm the RIft i played it when i released, i but played demo.. there is some new systems laucher for it last time i checked it.

Reply 16 of 19, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to track down what's going on with Stargunner and I've got this:

- SETUP.EXE sets mode to 40, prints the following in red and mangles the white font:

Interrupt divide by zero, stack:
2DB5 C000 3A07 000C 0000 0000 2CCB 0000
0000 28E2 0000 0000 12A2

- STARGUN.EXE does the same after the intro plays, prints the same message

Could be that they have common code, since the message is exactly the same in both exes.

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 17 of 19, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dick Tracy: The Crime-Solving Adventure gives Runtime error R6003 with a Pentium 200 MMX.

PatchCRT (https://www.kennedysoftware.ie/patchcrt.htm) doesn't work with DK.COM or LOAD.EXE.

Front the slowdown utilities in here: List of Slowdown Utilities (Beta), the only one which worked for me was SLOWDOWN from Bret Johnson (http://bretjohnson.us/) although with issues.

SLOWDOWN /m:50 works but quite slow and SLOWDOWN /60 or higher crashes. Also, in order to run SLOWDOWN I have to not load EMM386.EXE.

Reply 18 of 19, by Devon Manta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman78 wrote on 2018-08-16, 12:03:
I searched a bit, don't if you also found this information and tried it. It is some kind of Clipper error. […]
Show full quote

I searched a bit, don't if you also found this information and tried it. It is some kind of Clipper error.

Try this:
Open the exe whit a hex-editor and search for
B8 52 17 8B CA 33 D2 F7 F1
and replace F7 F1 whit 90 90 and save it.

Same problem here. Game "Planet's Edge" (German).

I installed the game from the "PC Games 07/96 Plus" CD-Rom. After running "pe.exe" it shows Runtime error R6003 integer divide by 0. I slowed down my pentium 100, but this doesn't work. I tried the hex trick, but there is no "B8 52 17 8B CA 33 D2 F7 F1" string. Only "D2 F7 F1" but replacing them with 90 90 doesn't work. After hitting space.exe it shows pe.cc is WRITE-PROTECTED. I removed the write protection from the files and run pe.exe. The game starts... so simple.