VOGONS

Common searches

Using Glidos with Direct3D

Topic actions

First post, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to use Glidos with Direct3D instead of OpenGL?

Reply 1 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange coincidence that you are asking this just now, because it is just becoming possible. You can grab the Glide2x.dll from http://psvoodoo.sourceforge.net and substitute it for the one in C:\Program Files\Glidos That uses Direct3D. Its fairly new, not quite complete and not well tested, but there's no harm in giving it a go.

Reply 4 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not. He's just started developing it. Report any bugs in as much detail as possible so he can fix them.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 26, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the frames for the menu items are blue and there's lines on Lara's shadow. And when you pause the game, it takes a long time to load and when it is paused, there's lines across the backround. And some meshes are badly trimmed.

Reply 8 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see nothing serious in that log file. Should work really.

noname wrote:

Well, the frames for the menu items are blue

That's really mysterious. I have no idea how it can be getting colors wrong

and there's lines on Lara's shadow.

That's a depth buffering problem. Maybe GF2 has only 16bit depth buffer. Don't know. That would cause all sorts of problems. Activating antialiasing can force a driver to use 16bits, but I don't think GF2 supports antialiasing.

And when you pause the game, it takes a long time to load

You mean you press ESC and then have to wait a long time before the ring menu comes up? That seems to be a problem with modern drivers. Not sure why.

and when it is paused, there's lines across the backround.

That's normal for psVoodoo. Its using 16bit frame buffers. I may change that, but 16bit frame buffers are useful for other reasons.

And some meshes are badly trimmed.

I'd be interested to know more about that one. Can't quite imagine what you mean. Could you capture an image with "Prnt Scrn"?

Anyway, with a GF2, you should be fine with OpenGL provided you get drivers from nVidia directly and not Microsoft.

Reply 9 of 26, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to my experience with the GeForce2 Titanium, it supports AA but no level of pixel shading whatsoever. That might be a problem with psVoodoo ;)

The Glide library of dgVoodoo is Direct3D 7 compliant, and it used to work almost perfectly with Glidos (didn't try the combo for quite some time though). You might want to give it a try.

Reply 10 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dgVoodoo works well, but not if you want to use TRX textures because it doesn't have the 32bit texture extensions.

For psVoodoo, the lack of picsel shaders shouldn't matter. It does have a fallback using texture ops, and the log file says that all the necessary ops are supported.

If AA is on, its well worth turning it off.

Reply 14 of 26, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I'm not using dial-up, but others might be and it's good etiquette to post images in a compressed format for quicker downloads. It is also cheaper for VOGONS as it reduces bandwidth consumption -- someone has to pay for it after all!

Reply 15 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1mb+ .bmp attachments deleted......

Unecessarily huge attachments are the bane of forums....almost akin to sending 500mb movies through email (Happens alot believe it or not.....)...but of course not as bad as that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 26, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here's the screen shots in JPG format.

Attachments

• Filename
    psvoodoobug1.jpg
    File size
    41.38 KiB
    Downloads
    173 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    psvoodoobug2.jpg
    File size
    25.03 KiB
    Downloads
    181 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 26, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noname wrote:

OpenGL works, but I don't like the way it trims off the edges around transparent areas on a texture.

You mean the sharp, strangely shaped curves? That's no an OpenGL thing. That's just the way Glidos displays Chromakeyed textures. There aren't many alternatives, and the others look worse.

Here's some screen shots of the bugs.

The blue lines are a complete mystery. It may be specific to Unfinished business. I haven't tried psVoodoo with that.

What's wrong with Image 2? I can't remember what that area is supposed to look like. The face looks distorted, and things look a bit ragged above the face. Is that the problem? Do you have a saved game around there?

Reply 18 of 26, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a short comment:

I think I know why lines appears as blue, as I came across with this problem with dgv, and was a real mystery for me too for a long time (and the black lines of the ingame health bar). TR UB uses the iterated RGB color in the color combine unit in a special mode, namely in delta0 mode. It means that iterated RGB isn't taken from vertex RGB (which is set to blue for those lines), but from a constant register which can be set up by grConstantColorValue4 function. 😀

It's a real nightmare because delta0 mode isn't mentioned in the Glide sdk docs at all, the GR_COLORCOMBINE_ITRGB_DELTA0 and GR_COLORCOMBINE_TEXTURE_TIMES_ITRGB_DELTA0 contansts (for guColorCombineFunction) is only defined in the Glide headers. 😖 😀

And not those are the only ones, there are other cases, e.g. fog mode constants, etc. 😀 😀

Reply 19 of 26, by noname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:
noname wrote:

OpenGL works, but I don't like the way it trims off the edges around transparent areas on a texture.

You mean the sharp, strangely shaped curves? That's no an OpenGL thing. That's just the way Glidos displays Chromakeyed textures. There aren't many alternatives, and the others look worse.

Is there a way to show chromakeyed textures the way they look in TR2?