Space Quest III on CT-460

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you guys!

Yes, I also think the compositions for the Casios could have been done a bit better..
At least, they are more ear-friendly than the Adlib version. When I heared the Casio tunes the first time, it was a mind blowing experience for me.
This was before I heard of the MT32, of course. I only knew the tunes of PC-Speaker and Adlib synth back then.
When I heard about the MT32 the first time (literally), I was amazed. I found out that it wasn't just an ordinary MIDI module
but a real, programmable synthesizer! It tried to get one, but I wasn't able to. So I ended up with a MT32-compatible module (a CM64).
Sadly, it didn't sound very well with SQ3 and I was quite dissapointed. Thankfully, the reasons for this are now known.
I guess we can be glad that the title of this thread wasn't SQ3 on MT-32 (CM64). Otherwise, people would be in rage. 😉

I will do some more recordings of SQ3 in the next days when I fixed my main PC.
At the moment, I've got only a tablet and an old Linux rig..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have finally fixed my PC again. Another recordings added.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 29, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

New recordings

Always grateful for recordings, but whoever thought that converting to the Casio was a good idea should have been disciplined. The instruments sound rather tinny for the most part and the compositions scream of cheap kiddy synthesizer demo tunes.

I would like to add that, the fact that the MT-540 as well as the CT-460 are on the list of supported sound devices of Space Quest III, is because the composer of the soundtrack actually wrote it on a Casio MT-540 and asked the sound department to support them directly

Reply 25 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snmdemo_talk.png
Filename
snmdemo_talk.png
File size
21.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You talkin' to me ??

(Just kidding! 😉 )

Sure, I would, if I had them. I played the game during the recording, though (save states are great!).. 🙁

PS: There's there's an interview on YT regarding SQ3.
I haven't fully watched it yet, but I believe it mentions the Casios, too.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHjTjzil_E

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 29, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting! The intro music sounds a bit weird, but e.g. World of Wonders is very recognizable and sounds better, probably to the sounds having a slower attack.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 27 of 29, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

PS: There's there's an interview on YT regarding SQ3.
I haven't fully watched it yet, but I believe it mentions the Casios, too.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHjTjzil_E

There is no mention of Casio devices in that interview. Rather, Mr. Siebenberg just confirms the conventional (and sensible) wisdom that the soundtrack was composed with/for the Roland MT-32:

Bob Siebenberg wrote:

What they were really looking for was somebody to come in and just revamp a lot of the older music from some of the older, earlier games. They were just on the cutting edge of that technology with, instead of it being blips and blaps, it was going to actually be generated from an MT-32, and you could play real sounds...

So, I was kind-of assigned this project with these two guys (who were both kind-of left-field guys), and they were fun to be around, and they had these cool ideas for this game that was going to introduce this MT-32 soundtrack...

Reply 29 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-09-03, 11:09:

@jo22 1550vm in the first screenshot...what system? (the colors look nice!)

Hi Doc, the monitor is a NEC MultiSync. 🙂 I'll have to check the exact model number..
I write back over weekend. The PC is visible in these videos, too:
https://youtu.be/irtDxYman88
https://youtu.be/2HIk4YhBrGk

Edit: The model is a NEC MultiSync LCD1550ME.

//My video channel//