VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have bought a sb32 ct3600, it should arrive early next week. It doesn't come with any RAM in its memory slots. Do I need to use on-card memory to test it? If not, I'll test it and then spend more money on some memory.

I have 4x 1mb system memory. Maybe I'll use two of those and upgrade to 6/8/12mb of system memory. I take it my system won't run with 2 of its 4 memory slots empty? It's a 386 40sx.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you would just like to test the basic functionality of the card (using the onboard 1 MB ROM sample set), then no.
However, by adding more memory, you can load custom soundfonts under Windows which will greatly improve your MIDI listening experience (you are, however, limited to a maximum of 28 MB of RAM).

A 386SX has a 16-bit external data bus. So, you should be able to run the system with only 2 simm slots populated. But, some motherboards requires certain slots to be populated (best would be to refer to the motherboard manual).

Reply 2 of 8, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the help. I might take the opportunity to upgrade to 8/16mb ahead of a potential 486 upgrade. Would awe32 drivers work with this card? I see that there are quite a few files on Creative's website for my sb32 card in DOS: PnP manager, "basic disk", real and protected mode john miles interface libraries, Driver update including full duplex support... Should I just dl the basic disk?

Reply 3 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, AWE32 drivers will work (it's essentially the same card).
The SB32 is just an AWE32 lacking onboard RAM, a Wave Blaster header & the ASP chip (or socket for one). The latter is useless from a gaming perspective.
Since your card is a Plug 'n Play card, you will require CTCU & CTCM to configure and operate your card under DOS & Windows 3.1x (I wouldn't bother with Windows 95 on a 386SX).
The driver disks will install everything for you.
Some guidance: Awe 64 Sound or Music but not both

Reply 4 of 8, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it arrived and proved much simpler to get up and running than my no-name random OPTi / Crystal combo card I was using before that was faulty. Just installed the PNP manager and the driver install disk and it works fine with both SB music and sound effects. Quite pleased!

10zYObKh.jpg

Reply 5 of 8, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Card also works on 286 with Intel ICU.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 8, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good luck finding 4 MB 30 pin RAM SIMMs. Nowadays they are rare as hen's teeth. Been searching for years for 6 pieces (4 for one of my 486 mobos which now has 8x1 MB, 2 for my SB32 which is the same model as yours, CT3600).

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 7 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fillosaurus wrote:

Good luck finding 4 MB 30 pin RAM SIMMs. Nowadays they are rare as hen's teeth. Been searching for years for 6 pieces (4 for one of my 486 mobos which now has 8x1 MB, 2 for my SB32 which is the same model as yours, CT3600).

Rare and pretty pricey when you do find them. I managed to find 6 for exactly the same purpose a few months ago - but cost me more than I would have liked, and even then I probably got a good deal.

Interesting development: I already had a CT3670 SB32, last week I unexpectedly found another in a scrap PC I picked up. Same PCB and chips, but black SIMM slots instead of white ones. Not seen that before - although googling around shows they're common enough.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

The Card also works on 286 with Intel ICU.

CTCM/CTCU could also work with EMU386, but I haven't tried yet.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//