VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the motherboard doesn't POST and the POST beep is a 2 seconds long buzz.

Here is a video clip, sound is at 31 seconds.
http://www.filedropper.com/mah06633

What does it mean? What is wrong?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 6, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems to happen as soon as you turn it on, which leads me to think there's a short circuit somewhere. Check for solder blobs, bits of random wire. Reseat everything, giving it a good clean with IPA and see if that sorts it.

Reply 2 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. It's starts the buzz around 1 sec after the power on. Thanks for suggestion. I'll check if there is anything suspicious... Although the board is in a quite good visual condition.

Reply 3 of 6, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some boards make this sound when the fan or temperature alert triggers. Can you get a picture on your monitor? If yes, check out the health status in the BIOS setup. Make sure there is no fan alert activated where no fan is connected to the board.
When using a fan, a short beep like this can happen while the fan starts up spinning.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 5 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about wrong BIOS or corrupted BIOS? How would this show?

I have another one of this boards. It a few month newer and in brown PCB. The bios sticker is quite different. Also the year written on BIOS sticker is 1993 on this one and 1995 on the newer one. Could someone swapped the BIOS chip?

Reply 6 of 6, by manicgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like a duff leaking capacitor. Check all caps with a meter. The buzz is mains static hum which is not being filtered correctly.

If it ain't broke, there's something wrong with it.
Like your job, Love your wife.
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's.