VOGONS

First post, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having issues running Warcraft III on my Voodoo II. It says it can't detect Directx 8.1, even though 9.0c is installed. I know an 8MB ATI Rage card can run this, so any ideas?

Reply 2 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AtTheGates wrote:

I'm having issues running Warcraft III on my Voodoo II. It says it can't detect Directx 8.1, even though 9.0c is installed. I know an 8MB ATI Rage card can run this, so any ideas?

I believe Warcraft 3 requires not only DirectX 8.1 but a card capable of DirectX 8.1, so the Voodoo 2 can't play it in Direct3D mode.

Drop the releveant Glide ovl file into the game directory and run it in Opengl mode. Use FastVoodoo 4.6 drivers for better compatibility.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 9, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

What is the primary video card that you use on this system?

A purely 2D card to avoid any clashes with the Voodoo II. it's an S3 Trio 64 PCI.

Last edited by AtTheGates on 2018-09-13, 19:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
AtTheGates wrote:

I believe Warcraft 3 requires not only DirectX 8.1 but a card capable of DirectX 8.1, so the Voodoo 2 can't play it in Direct3D mode.

Drop the releveant Glide ovl file into the game directory and run it in Opengl mode. Use FastVoodoo 4.6 drivers for better compatibility.

The game will definitely run on DX6 cards such as an ATI Rage XL, so it should run on a Voodoo II!!

Good point about OpenGL. I totally forgot it supported that.

Reply 5 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Warcraft III might be detecting the Trio64 only and essentially complaining that you don't have a D3D accelerator. I know it is fun to run newer games on hardware that should have no business attempting to play them, but perhaps you should give this one a pass, it'll run like a turd on that V2 anyway.

Reply 6 of 9, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Warcraft III might be detecting the Trio64 only and essentially complaining that you don't have a D3D accelerator. I know it is fun to run newer games on hardware that should have no business attempting to play them, but perhaps you should give this one a pass, it'll run like a turd on that V2 anyway.

If a Rage XL can run it, I don't see why a Voodoo II can't!! 😜

Reply 7 of 9, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, figured it out. Placing the MesaFX OpenGL32.DLL file into the game folder and running WIII in OpenGL mode worked. The performance isn't the greatest (though about playable at a stretch), but it's all rendered correctly. Running at 640x480 or 800x600 doesn't seem to affect performance either.
With 2 12MB Voodoo IIs in SLI I'd imagine it would be totally playable at 800x600 with medium textures. My Voodoo II with 8MB produces glitches if I set the texture quality anything above low!" xD

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

I believe Warcraft 3 requires not only DirectX 8.1 but a card capable of DirectX 8.1, so the Voodoo 2 can't play it in Direct3D mode..

It's just the API in this case (and not the caps, as many assume DX81 required = DX81 class hardware required). I know a Voodoo3 can work and look fine, especially as Warcraft3's technical art direction hasn't really changed from its 1998 spec.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I believe Warcraft 3 requires not only DirectX 8.1 but a card capable of DirectX 8.1, so the Voodoo 2 can't play it in Direct3D mode..

It's just the API in this case (and not the caps, as many assume DX81 required = DX81 class hardware required). I know a Voodoo3 can work and look fine, especially as Warcraft3's technical art direction hasn't really changed from its 1998 spec.

The graphics aren't much of a step up over Dungeon Keeper II.