VOGONS

First post, by argniest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all

Been reading about CR-563 and CR-563-B cd rom drives

Been looking around for information about these two 2x cd rom drives from the mid 1990's
I am wondering if anyone knows if they are compatible with each other?

Also I have read that possibly both would be compatible with the 3DO blaster?

Can anyone point me to some specs about these drives?

THANKS

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never seen or heard of a CR-563 without the B suffix . The CR-562-B and CR-563-B were quite common OEM drives around 1993 to 1995 and shared very similar specs (except maybe for the 3DO part).
From memory, I believe the random seek time was around 300 milliseconds . The interface used required no DMA or IRQ , but used a software polling mechanism that apparently used up to 40% of the CPU (I could not say on which platform that was or how it scaled on faster CPUs). I used one well into mid 1998 .

Reply 2 of 10, by argniest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is something I saw posted about this drive and the 3DO Blaster:
Seems like this CR-563-B would be compatible with the 3DO Blaster mythical system
3DOKid wrote:This abomination is my 3DO Blaster system. (Shown here running Starblade)
Re: Retro Rig Photo Thread

1 x Cooler Master Lab chassis
1 x Creative Labs 3DO Blaster
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster
1 x Creative Labs CDROM CR-563-b
1 x SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard
1 x 256Mb RAM
1 x 500Gb HDD cut into teeny-weeny little partitions
1 x Floppy Disk Drive
1 x Pentium III 450Mhz CPU
1 x ATI Mach64 (1Mb) which QEMM has just beaten up
Windows 3.11 / DOS 6.22

Reply 3 of 10, by argniest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also would like to hook up the CR-563-B to a soundblaster CT1600 ISA card. But dont have the cable. I can see they look like the 40 pin IDE cable would fit there. But I think the pins are reversed? So what if I would swap the cable (pin 1 to 40, and then pin 40 to pin 1 on the other side of the connection?). Or could I just hookup the IDE cable between the CT1600 soundblaster card and the CR-563-B....just like any other IDE device I would normally hook up?

Thanks

Reply 6 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. Ask all old hardware questions in Marvin. This forum is for old DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 10, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
argniest wrote:

Do I have to reverse the pins (basically hookup cable backwards on one side of the connection?)

Thanks for info

Align the red stripe with pin 1 on both sides, just like an IDE connection.