VOGONS

Common searches

More Broken Shit

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, after the whole fiasco with my corrupt kernel, everything is pretty much back to normal. However, no matter what my system settings, InterVideo WinDVD won't play 5.1 surround sound, and when I tell it to use S/PDIF (the SBAudigy has an AC3 decoder chip) it's laggy, it studders, and the movie sizezes up every five seconds. Also, my system STILL won't power down after shutdown, despite chaing the PowerdownAfterShutdown key in my registry. (It worked before the corruption.) Help!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, so, the computer decided to do something, or my touching the apmstat.exe or whatever on the W2K CD did something, or my touching the setup.exe on the W2K CD did something, but in any case, my ACPI is working properly now. Except...Internet browser (moz) is thoroughly fucked up. Images only load half the time. It's weird. It happened to me before with W9x, except that was in IE (and moz worked fine.) What the HELL's gone wrong here?
Oh, yeah, and, I haven't tested WinDVD, and also, Winamp's main window seems to have disappeared, and reinstalling doesn't seem to help. 😒 (Strange things are afoot.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course.
Well, I'm running another one now, just to be safe, but

1. My scanner has a real-time monitor
  2. It updates its patterns within two days of a new virus release
  3. I run StartupMonitor to make sure nothing unauthorised can run at startup
  4. My BIOS has its own virus protection

Sooo...beats the shit out of me.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Of course.

Just checking. Falls into the "so obvious you might miss it" category.

[*]My BIOS has its own virus protection

I turned my BIOS AV-scanner off as it caused me no end of pain whenever anything touched the MBR (including my Anti-Virus software).

Only other thing I can think of would be if you had let out the Magic Blue Smoke from your PC.

Hmm...*cough*reinstall*cough*

Reply 8 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, some good news.

1. InterVideo WinDVD works correctly (and well) now. 5.1 surround sound. (yummy.) It does it through analogue, not through AC-3 (not a problem, since all the sound card's AC-3 decoder does is decode it to three analogue stereo channels), which is actually BETTER because some things wouldn't decode with the AC-3 chip but DO decode with the software decoder. (yay!)

2. Everything seems to be running normally (that is to say, GOOD normally), with the exception of my add/remove programs CPL (come on, someone upload theirs!), explorer (no sidebar, don't know what that's all about -- not a problem, though, since I almost never use the sidebar and I use LiteStep as my shell), and Mozilla, which is still doing its stupid selectively-load-graphics thing. (Hand-in-hand with this is its stupid won't-load-anything-else-unless-you-make-a-new-window problem.) Might regress to 1.1b, but I just love the bleeding-edges on it!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Reinstall Windows 2000? That would cause me no end in pain. It was difficult enough to install the first (three) times.

Really? I thought installing Win2K was supposed to be as easy as Win98.

1. InterVideo WinDVD works correctly (and well) now.

Started working because you fixed it? Or "just started working"?

2. Everything seems to be running normally (that is to say, GOOD normally), with the exception of my add/remove programs CPL (come on, someone upload theirs!),

I would if I had Win2K, and I don't know what would happen if you used the XP version.

explorer (no sidebar, don't know what that's all about -- not a problem, though, since I almost never use the sidebar and I use LiteStep as my shell), and Mozilla, which is still doing its stupid

*shrug* Don't know what to tell you here. Maybe your "appearance" settings need adjustment.
I use the zipped versions of Mozilla in an attempt to keep my registry clean. You might try getting the zipped version, unzip it to a folder on your desktop, then run MOZILLA.EXE from there and see if you get the same results.

Reply 10 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*shrug* Don't know what to tell you here. Maybe your "appearance" settings need adjustment.

Where in my appearance settings does it have anything about the sidebar in Explorer? heh

I use the zipped versions of Mozilla in an attempt to keep my registry clean.

Registry? CLEAN? HAH!!

You might try getting the zipped version, unzip it to a folder on your desktop, then run MOZILLA.EXE from there and see if you get the same results.

Perhaps, but I don't see why the problem would be Mozilla, especially if this has happened previously to me (on a different ISP, using DSL and IE).

When I try opening JUST an image, unless I do a ctrl+refresh, I get this error:

The image “www.vogons.org/images/members.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I didn't look at the cached versions, however. It could be a DNS issue, though I set it to 0, so it always checks instead of caching entries.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Where in my appearance settings does it have anything about the sidebar in Explorer? heh

Never mind, obviously mis-read that.

Registry? CLEAN? HAH!!

I do what I can, gives me more operational time between re-installs.

Perhaps, but I don't see why the problem would be Mozilla, especially if this has happened previously to me

Not saying it is, this is more of a "try it and see what happens" thing.

The last-ditch effort would be to pound the innards of the computer with a hammer. Please note that this step is usually not effective and rather expensive. However, even with complete failure, it can bring about an unusual sense of satisfaction.

Reply 12 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I found an error'd image, and poked around in my Mozilla cache and got lucky.

Here's what's happening:

7fe
ÿØÿà JFIF ` ` ÿÛ C
[binary data]
0 à0[Ô
ˆd) Qõ¢
u±WínË­ø¯0‚¨
‡˜(¹ÔÙŽäÖå¬bEN TWh‡ÝBèë›û|ÂN”«iGüÿÙ

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 17:48:22 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix)
Last-Modified: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 02:54:48 GMT
ETag: "55af04-131-36b51778"
Accept-Ranges: b
Transfer-encoding: chunkedytes
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=96
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: image/gif

GIF89a ³ $$$lllÿ3 ŽŽŽ»»»ØØØÿÿÿÿÿÿ
[binary data]
)D ;

The files are streaming into one-another. Ideas? Solutions?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...or a MIME association screwup in HKCR/.gif

V.

Snover wrote:

When I try opening JUST an image, unless I do a ctrl+refresh, I get this error:

The image “www.vogons.org/images/members.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.