VOGONS

Lo-Tech ISA ROM Board trouble....

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Tronix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Сheck with a multimeter that the A15 signal does not short circuit to ground (and VCC). Anyway, the problem is somewhere near the A15 signal.

https://github.com/Tronix286/

Reply 21 of 26, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suggest at this point contaction the author of the board, either on his website or on vcfed (user pearce_jj)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 22 of 26, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the back side of the board, the trace between pins 11 and 12 on your SN74F521 looks odd.

It's probably just flux or a JPEG compression artifact, but maybe check it out anyway. It's directly above the 8 on the back silkscreened documentation.

Reply 23 of 26, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for your replies!

I repeated the tests in my VLSI board with both cards. Indeed there is a difference: In the VLSI it shows 64kb ROM, while in the ST62 its only 32kb. But the memory locations are the same.

No difference between both cards. This makes it very unlikely the issue is caused by bad soldering.

I also checked signals again but I didnt find something suspicious.

Maybe its a good idea to ask the author to take a look at this thread...

Reply 24 of 26, by pearce_jj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to hear you are having problems! This card is super simple so really the problem can only be the comparator or the pull ups.

I would suggest bench checking the comparitor input pins with a multimeter, with the card outside of the machine, testing from exposed comparitor IC leg on component side to vcc or ground, with the switches set, to ensure the pins are being held as expected. Then work back.

Also if the machine has an ISA bus speed setting, check it’s using an 800ns period for 8 bit cards.

Reply 25 of 26, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK I made some progress here in my ATARI-XT Mainboard.

I set the DIPs to C000, D000, E000, F000 in 64 kb mode and the ROM appears where it should! Therefore the card seems to be working.

I am very surprised it also shows up at F000:0 because there the Mainboard-ROM should be located...therefore the ISA-ROM seems to superseed the Mainboard-ROM?

As this seemed to be working, I removed the Mainboard-ROM and tried to boot via the Lo-Tech...but nothing.

For now I am convinced my Lo-tech is OK and the troubles were caused by some Mainboard settings I do not understand yet...

Thanks to all for your support!!!

If somebody managed to boot a Mainboard with the Lo-Tech-ROM please let me know...