Common searches

Quake 2 DOS Port WIP

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you saying in DR-DOS if you move the mouse it will stop the timedemo? If so, sorry, we don't support DR-DOS or even Virtual Machines. Only real hardware up until about the late-P3 era we are interested in bug reports.

Reply 41 of 61, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is before i even touch the mouse, i simply write commands, there is asset loading and timedemo end after 0.2s or something like that.. before i can even move with mouse. Maybe "wrong" if condition for end of timedemo or DR-DOS is constantly reporting some keyboard activity.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 43 of 61, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, to be clear, its not working for both virtual and physical machines.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 44 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh well. DR-DOS does something nonstandard that I'm not interested in figuring out why. Use MS-DOS7.10 from a Win98SE boot disk as your OS. It's the only OS I support.

Reply 45 of 61, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didnt find it in description, could Q2DOS work with only Q2 demo or its only for full version of game? For example Hexen II: Hammer of Thyrion has ported demo.

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-10-13, 06:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does with the time demos and plays them back properly. Something is wrong with DR-DOS in the way it communicates the keyboard driver (or some other input) back to Q2DOS. I am not fixing it.

Reply 47 of 61, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im talking about demoversion not about time demos.

DR-DOS i find out that when i use MS-DOS Emm386 its working, so related to memory manager, what is strange.

Reply 48 of 61, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I normally use Q2DOS with full version of Quake 2 data files (didn't try a demo) and it works fine with ctmouse under MS-DOS.
I already told that DR-DOS had some incompatabilities and quirks when I tested it years ago so that was reason why I stopped using it. I need some stable/reference DOS that MS-DOS is...
Other DOSes may not implement all (even undocumented) features or may behave a bit differently. So as a fallback you should always have MS-DOS in your multiboot config.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 49 of 61, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have color problems at least with some Radeon cards.
file.php?id=62468&t=1

I its not first card with some problem, but Radeon 1600 PRO PCI-E from Asus, has broken colors with Q2DOS? Same resolution in Quake 1 are fine, is there some solution?

Reply 50 of 61, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, fucked up palette, I never seen this problem in Q1/Q2 on my VGA cards...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 52 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been quite a few years since the start of this project but we have finally ported the Win32 inline ASM code in r_alias.c, r_polyse.c, and r_part.c. This has given a small speed boost in timedemos. Typically about 5-10% from what I have noticed.

Try out the new version at: https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/downloads … S_EXE_LATEST.7Z

Reply 53 of 61, by sayman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I have problems with quake for dos. situation:
MB: i440bx s370
cpu: Celeron 433@600mhz
mem: 512mb
sound: if i use ESS688 or ESS1868, then after running Q1 or Q2 i hear the big (and rhythmic) noises. if i use SB Live 5.1 (SB0100) as SB emulator, then Q2 have very big disk load (activity) while i try to play. If i use -sndpci key for q2, then nothing change - big disk activity and game is not playable (many freezes).
what i do wrong?
q2dos: Q2DOS_EXE_LATEST.7Z

Reply 55 of 61, by sayman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Maraakate wrote:

Are you playing under real DOS or from a DOS Box session within Windows? I have never tried it on an SB Live. Are you using smartdrv?

Real DOS 6.22. smartdrv nothing change. i try with it and without.
i use not real hdd, i use SD2IDE adapter (it work many faster than hdd).

Reply 56 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. I would have to test it on my hardware. What happens when you play Quake 1 the original 1.06 version or the QDOS port with these sound cards? I do have an ESS chipset on a few P2 laptops and it works fine there.

Reply 57 of 61, by sayman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Maraakate wrote:

OK. I would have to test it on my hardware. What happens when you play Quake 1 the original 1.06 version or the QDOS port with these sound cards? I do have an ESS chipset on a few P2 laptops and it works fine there.

i have not tried original 1.06. i will try it tomorrow.
this about ESS, but what`s about SB Live and disk activity?

Reply 58 of 61, by sayman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, i`m testet with quake 1.06 and noises is on. but this is not problem. main problem with quake 2 + SB Live! Very big disk activity. not playable.
SIS 661FX or I965 with "-sndpci" key. on 661FX SB Live work as SB emul.

Reply 59 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sndpci library we did not write. So it's probably an issue with the library. I forget who wrote it. Those PCI sound cards tend to have problems under DOS. The author of the library can be contacted at starus2009@mail.ru. I unfortunately do not have an SB Live card to test and debug these problems.

So does the ESS card work or no?