VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to introduce my little brother to some of my favorite PC games, and I think he'd really enjoy Carmageddon since it's about smashing up cars, but I don't think my stepmom would be cool with him playing the uncensored version. Is there a way to get zombies and green blood in the GOG release, or would I have to track down an old European copy?

Reply 1 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not track down "Destruction Derby" or something instead?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I don't know about zombies, but -german forces robots.

I might have to resort to that. Seems kinda lame though.

DracoNihil wrote:

Why not track down "Destruction Derby" or something instead?

I was thinking that I could show him the Burnout games on a PS2 emulator, but they don't offer the type of freedom Carmageddon has.

Reply 5 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Maybe the Midtown Madness games could be a better idea. The free drive option can be a stress reliever and there's 0 darkedgelordiness

I thought about those too. I'm not a terribly huge fan of them though.

Reply 6 of 6, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Maybe the Midtown Madness games could be a better idea. The free drive option can be a stress reliever and there's 0 darkedgelordiness

But the best part about Carmageddon was the way it let you drive anywhere. And I mean anywhere. Turn off the road and go over any and all of the countryside? Check. Drive the wrong way round the Formula 1 racetrack*? Check. Drive off the Formula 1 race track and drive into the stands and run over the pedestrians? Check. Drive under water? Check. Do insane stunts and probably get away with them because the game knew when to use (mostly) realistic physics and when to just let reality slide? Check.

At the time, Midtown Madness was a good game too (this was before every third game became an open city driving game ala GTA 3), but Carmageddon was much, much more enjoyable, I thought.

* The Formula 1 races were in The Splat Pack, the brilliant official addon for Carmageddon that included the Mini Cooper (my favourite car in real life, by the way).