VOGONS

IDE to SD Adapter with Bracket

Topic actions

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
I am looking for one, to replace my existing 1997 IDE drive (2GB). I have found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYBA-MULTIMEDIA-INC- … a8gEp:rk:3:pf:0

Also, can you add an additional IDE adapter (Secondary, Slave - for a total of 2X CF cards) to this? How can you make this Primary (Master)? Or is it a fixed setting?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 26, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hang on...

Your thread title is about IDE to SD, but you're linking to IDE to CF. They are somewhat different beasts.

I have the IDE to CF adapter you link to. It's hardwired to master, but you can use a slave next to it. Primary vs secondary is purely a matter of which interface you connect it to.

Reply 2 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have the exact same piece from the link, but the ones I own (at last two different types) have master/slave jumpers on their PCB.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 26, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:

I don't have the exact same piece from the link, but the ones I own (at last two different types) have master/slave jumpers on their PCB.

Can you please provide the link where you bought them?

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 4 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
C0deHunter wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Can you please provide the link where you bought them?

Thanks!

I'm sorry I can't give you a link, it was at least 2-3 years ago the last time I bought one, but this one looks exactly the last one that I puchased:

https://www.ebay.com/p/40pin-ATA-IDE-to-Compa … 675.c100623.m-1

The single jumper you see in the picture is master/slave jumper.

You can see the jumper here more clearly, labeled as "master/slave"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40Pin-IDE-to-Compact … aEAAOSwksBbWku5

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 5 of 26, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

Hello all,
I am looking for one, to replace my existing 1997 IDE drive (2GB). I have found this:

Seems this Syba also supporting SD card? I prefer SD, it is cheaper, faster, easier to put also into laptop for data transfer.

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 6 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Hang on...

Your thread title is about IDE to SD, but you're linking to IDE to CF. They are somewhat different beasts.

I have the IDE to CF adapter you link to. It's hardwired to master, but you can use a slave next to it. Primary vs secondary is purely a matter of which interface you connect it to.

From SYBA site:

http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=produc … &product_id=611

According to the manual here, it also has a master/slave jumper.

Atom Ant wrote:

Seems this Syba also supporting SD card? I prefer SD, it is cheaper, faster, easier to put also into laptop for data transfer.

I don't think so. The item name is not correct I guess, there is no SD related thing visible in the Picture and there is no mention of SD support in the official product page and manual.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 7 of 26, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I prefer SD, it is cheaper, faster, easier to put also into laptop for data transfer.

I agree, however I don't see many IDE to SD adapters listed.

Question: Can I use CF to SD Adapters instead? The price of CF cards are ridiculously high these days.

Reply 8 of 26, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use this ide to sd adapter,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-SDHC-SDXC-MMC-Car … =item3d5d8196bf
Working good for me with Pentium Pro. Although, has no master, slave switch, so i only put one drive per cable.

Besides I’m also interested in this SCSI to SD adapter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-new-SCSI-2sd-3-5 … =item441590a3cd

Just I do not understand why is so expensive. Anybody have experience with it? How much faster can it be with Pentium Pro using the onboard SCSI controller, than the standard IDE controller?

Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 9 of 26, by ntadmin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:
Hello all, I am looking for one, to replace my existing 1997 IDE drive (2GB). I have found this: […]
Show full quote

Hello all,

Also, can you add an additional IDE adapter (Secondary, Slave - for a total of 2X CF cards) to this? How can you make this Primary (Master)? Or is it a fixed setting?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I use IDE to SD adapters for my DOS and retro windows machines and sometimes I want to swap out the SD card for a different OS. I tried to find an adapter that I could put in an empty slot in the back, but I found the designs lacking. The boards on them can't clear a PCI or ISA slot! So I made a short video on what I did to fix it in case anyone else had this problem...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9s3C60A-g&t=2s

Reply 10 of 26, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is nice from you giving idea how to make SD card accessible without opening the side of the computer house. I will do also something similar, because i put quite many times something new files from laptop onto it.

Reply 11 of 26, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

Question: Can I use CF to SD Adapters instead? The price of CF cards are ridiculously high these days.

I had all kinds of read errors last time I tried it. The adaptor seemed stable for my card reader. As a boot drive? Not so much.

Reply 12 of 26, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zerker wrote:
C0deHunter wrote:

I had all kinds of read errors last time I tried it. The adaptor seemed stable for my card reader. As a boot drive? Not so much.

Thanks for clarifying this!

Reply 13 of 26, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry I can't give you a link, it was at least 2-3 years ago the last time I bought one, but this one looks exactly the last one that I puchased:

https://www.ebay.com/p/40pin-ATA-IDE-to-Compa … 675.c100623.m-1

Thanks for the link.

If I get two of these, can I set one as primary, and the other as secondary?

I usually tend to install the OS on one drive, and games and apps on the second drive.

Thanks.

Reply 14 of 26, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never tried more than one adapters in a single build, but in all my builds, my adapters working well with other devices like CDROM drivers and HDDs so I don’t think there will be a problem.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 15 of 26, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, this one seems to fit my need (Master/Slave):

s-l1600.jpg

81IbhfGHYvL._SL1500_.jpg

According to the manual that can be downloaded here:

http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=produc … &product_id=611

The Jumper 3 (topmost one, when viewed from bottom to top) is the Masrter/Single to Slave setting.

Here is the Amazon order link:
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CF-IDE-BR-Conn … L70_&dpSrc=srch#

Reply 16 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I don't have the same adapter as above, I am successfully running 2 CF cards with an adapter that has a jumper for Primary/Slave and this one looks higher quality then mine. (also purchased few years ago)

Reply 17 of 26, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I ended up ordering two of this type instead:

51EY%2B6wF65L._SX450_.jpg

* For some odd reason, when I use both of these adapters on the *SAME* IDE Channel (One set as Master, the other one as Slave), the Slave drive can not be detected on my Abit-BH6.

* When I connect the second CF Adapter to the secondary IDE channel (where my CD-ROM is installed) it works (either as Master, or as Slave)

* I am thinking about setting the first CF adapter on primary IDE Channel and set it as Master (obviously), and connecting my CD-ROM as Slave on this very same IDE channel. (for OS: Win98SE)

And

* connecting the secondary CF adapter on the secondary IDE channel as Master (and nothing connecting to it) this is for GAMES (Win98 installed games)

Question:
Do you recommend this? I mean connecting an Hdd (CF in my case) on the same channel with a CD-ROM would not degrade performance?

Thanks!

Reply 19 of 26, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. Well, on my other machine (P-200MMX) it does the same thing, so I had to move it to the secondary.