Topic actions

Reply 20 of 36, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Virtue wrote:

I mean I know its tricky but its been done before: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/vCHNnQ

That is heresy.

Indeed. In 10 years the i7 with all it's modern peripherals will be trash, but a mint case IBM 486 will be hard to find and damn expensive. 😢

Reply 21 of 36, by Virtue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Virtue wrote:

I mean I know its tricky but its been done before: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/vCHNnQ

That is heresy.

its awesome 😁

I love the idea of sleeper builds, its like, someone will say "ugh, why are you still using that peice of crap?" and you'll be like aha! 😈

Reply 22 of 36, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I appreciate the job and couldn't care less about material side of the question (like how much could you get for an IBM in 2099). But the beauty was butchered.

Now it's like a sexbot, the curves are kinda there, but the "real thing".. not so much 😠.

The sleeper.. I dunno.. To me it always felt like one of those hipster things. Get/make/wear something for the sake of looking overly hip, not because you sincerely dig it. Will you gut an IBM if you do? I would not.

Reply 23 of 36, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know a guy on eBay that sells a wide variety of retro parts; also a few cases. Maybe there is something for you here as well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armr … lvdexport&rt=nc

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 24 of 36, by Virtue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
0kool wrote:

I appreciate the job and couldn't care less about material side of the question (like how much could you get for an IBM in 2099). But the beauty was butchered.

Now it's like a sexbot, the curves are kinda there, but the "real thing".. not so much 😠.

The sleeper.. I dunno.. To me it always felt like one of those hipster things. Get/make/wear something for the sake of looking overly hip, not because you sincerely dig it. Will you gut an IBM if you do? I would not.

....ever heard of hotrodding a car? you know, upgrading the engine while keeping the outside stock? its an old trick and entirely relatable in the PC world.

Also im pretty sure by 2099 the parts themselves wouldve degraded beyond use. Circuit boards do not last forever as they are volatile components. Not to mention hard drives, PSUs etc. in 100 years time we wont be using the same technology as today.

Strahssis wrote:

I know a guy on eBay that sells a wide variety of retro parts; also a few cases. Maybe there is something for you here as well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armr … lvdexport&rt=nc

yes I've been looking at his stuff, but frankly, its overpriced. Nearly £40 (inc postage) for a fascia? I could get a whole case for not much more. 😒

Reply 25 of 36, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Virtue wrote:

yes I've been looking at his stuff, but frankly, its overpriced. Nearly £40 (inc postage) for a fascia? I could get a whole case for not much more. 😒

Maybe you can make him an offer; I recently got a really good deal with him for a complete AMD K6-2 266MHz system for only $68 (excluding postage). But yes, some prices are a bit on the high side. 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 28 of 36, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a beige ATX case i'm looking to get rid of but it's pretty boring, no LEDs or anything. ATX cases with LEDs do exist, and they usually go up to 999 instead of the usual 199 you get on AT cases. Check the local fleamarket (or car boot sale, as its called there) there's usually at least one or two beige PCs that nobody wants.

Strahssis wrote:

Oh hey is this the same ebayer that had all those БК0011's and Поиск's recently?

Reply 29 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could someone let me know where they acquired this case? And who is the manufacturer? In the near future, I'm planning on a NexGen Nx586 PF110 build, which runs at 102 MHz. The 1+2 digit LED display would be perfect. And in my mind, this case is screaming NexGen. I told myself I wouldn't get another case, but it feels dishonourable to leave the NexGen in an anti-static bag.

IMG_2588-1500px.jpg
Filename
IMG_2588-1500px.jpg
File size
254.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 30 of 36, by Virtue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Could someone let me know where they acquired this case? And who is the manufacturer? In the near future, I'm planning on a NexGen Nx586 PF110 build, which runs at 102 MHz. The 1+2 digit LED display would be perfect. And in my mind, this case is screaming NexGen. I told myself I wouldn't get another case, but it feels dishonourable to leave the NexGen in an anti-static bag.

IMG_2588-1500px.jpg

same, I wish to know who made this too.

Reply 33 of 36, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well now... thats the exact same case that came with my Intel 486DX4-100Mhz system came in back in MAR1996, came with an 850mb hdd, 8mb edo mem, cirrus logic 1mb pci video card, opti931 isa sound card, 4x cdrom, 3.5'' floppy drive, generic AT keyboard, serial 3button ball mouse, 14'' crt monitor, generic speakers and DOS6.22 only, all for $1200 shipped from computer shopper.

Attachments

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 34 of 36, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

one of those antec/chieftec dragons

or a late 90s Dell Dimension. those are ATX

/thread

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 35 of 36, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Virtue wrote on 2018-10-22, 15:30:
appiah4 wrote:
Virtue wrote:

That is heresy.

its awesome 😁

I love the idea of sleeper builds, its like, someone will say "ugh, why are you still using that peice of crap?" and you'll be like aha! 😈

It is heresy, the only good heresy is Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders.