"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh. The way things are going, I'm gonna end up playing my Dreamcast games for the first time on my PC instead of the console.

Now all I need is for someone to get that X-Box emulation to work. Of course, Microsoft threw every roadblock they could think of in the way of that happening.

I also need functioning 3D0 emulation in case the "New" Star Control II game deal falls through (I found Star Control II for the 3D0, plus a few other 3D0 CD's).

Reply 2 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Once DC emulation is up-to-par with PSX emulation, you'd better believe I'm getting a copy of Crazy Taxi 😉
Tho, damn, I might have to get ANOTHER controller converter depending on how the DC pads are... I can't remember the layout.

In any case, XBox emulation would run like molasses. You'd need an NV30 or better to compete with that beasty video card.

I remember a looooong time ago wanting to get a 3DO. I got a PSX instead. (Oops.) 😜 I always liked that guys voice at the beginning. "three dee oh." Eh, hard to explain with text. Oh well. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

In any case, XBox emulation would run like molasses. You'd need an NV30 or better to compete with that beasty video card.

Actually, in many ways, mine is well beyond the X-Box specifications. So long as you have a GF3 or higher you basically have the capacity. Only real problem is the way they so tightly integrated the chipset with everything else. That would probably be a major snag even if there weren't all kinds of "blockers" built in.

People with a nForce2 motherboard will probably have the first success of any type as it's probably the closest in terms of specifications and "organization".

Having said all that, I would prefer the simplest method: just convert all the X-Box games to PC DVD's leaving most of the code alone for people with a GF3 (or higher) while allowing some features to be turned off for under-powered systems. That's one MSoft isn't going to let happen.

Reply 5 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zorbid wrote:
hehe... […]
Show full quote

hehe...

http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/news.htm

The gui is also writing a exe2xbe converter :
http://216.147.4.144/_forum/showthread.php?threadid=5897

Well, most of my emulator programming friends say that guy's smoking crack. Still, if he does it, and you can run X-BOX games on your PC, or vice-versa, well, I am prepared to eat my words. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zorbid wrote:

While the comment about not expecting support for "pirate" games is legitimate, he doesn't say anything about the possibility of legitimate games running.

Right now, I'd just like to be able to play the DVD movie files on the discs from the X-Box magazine.

Reply 7 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Once DC emulation is up-to-par with PSX emulation, you'd better believe I'm getting a copy of Crazy Taxi 😉

Why not run the PC version? I even know a guy who worked out what the songs were in the original arcade version, and burned a new PC game CD with these songs...

Tho, damn, I might have to get ANOTHER controller converter depending on how the DC pads are... I can't remember the layout.

dreamcast-controller.jpg

I think there were some sort of buttons on the bottom, and the top facing the cord. Triggers or something. Also, note the VMU, which is like a LCD interface to your memory card (you can play minigames on it, etc.)

If CXBX works out, you'd need exactly similar hardware. Exactly. That's what I hear. 😀

I remember a looooong time ago wanting to get a 3DO. I got a PSX instead. (Oops.) 😜 I always liked that guys voice at the beginning. "three dee oh." Eh, hard to explain with text. Oh well. 😜

Keep an eye on FreeDO.
http://www.freedo.org

Oh, here's the sound file you wanted.
[EDIT] hm, site's gone..

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

Well, most of my emulator programming friends say that guy's smoking crack. Still, if he does it, and you can run X-BOX games on your PC, or vice-versa, well, I am prepared to eat my words. 😀

I'm a few days late, but I have some eating to do.
http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/news.htm

Here comes the XBox demo scene... 😀

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 25, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a Newer D.C Emulator than Icarus. from what I read Icaus can't play Retail Games, is that true? If so, check out Chankast at the link to the emu faqs page im writing. Supposedly, according to the people at Ngemu, Chankast can play on some of the Retail Games.

I wouldn't know though as I have no D.C games to test it with! 🤣

But if anyones interested you can find a piece I wrote on it on Vogons with links to the Emulator, Plugins, & Utilites below....

Emulation for thought : Started with Dos & Movin To Consoles

Just look for the Dreamcast entry and you'll find it!

If anyone tests it or has tested it,let me know if is worth buying some D.C games for! 😁

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---

Reply 14 of 25, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Icarus can run games, it just hasn't been released yet. And there are plenty of compatibility lists available already for Chankast - which is now about 2-3 months old, I reckon, so hardly hot off the press - and the best thing you can do to decide whether to "buy" games for it is look at them.

Reply 15 of 25, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the input Targaff , so thats it, it just hasn't been realsed yet huh? I thinks those guys a Ngemu need to correct there stuff somewhat cus there saying Chankast is the only Dreamcast Emu. playin retail games.

I think im gonna email em this because as they way they depict Icarus, they basicly state it only plays some demo's & homebrew games & not that it just hasn't offically been released. Thanks very much for the input as now I actually have been thinking on picking up House of the Dead to test them both.

Thanks again as I was starting to get worried that there was only 1 worth while Dreamcast Emulator! I was hoping that wasn't true! I am very happy to eat some of my own words for once! 🤣 😁

😵 waxxxz018 😵

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---

Reply 16 of 25, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn and I was even further wrong! 🤣

I think I was getting DreamEmu & Icarus mixed up because Ngemu states the same thing you do Targaff, CyRUS64 has got it under heavy development. it does state that it is very CPU dependant though so it looks like you need some good specs to run it though. The screen shots at http://icarus.boob.co.uk/ are beautiful. I think I might be picking up that copy of House of the Dead or maybe Soul Calibur, oh no more sleepless nights! 🤣

What game is that 1st screenshot take from, from the looks of it, its a 1st person shooter and im a hooked on those hardcore!

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

Last edited by Waxxxz018 on 2004-07-26, 22:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 25, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Why not run the PC version? I even know a guy who worked out what the songs were in the original arcade version, and burned a new PC game CD with these songs...

Crazy Taxi music replacement can be done without re-burning the disk as the music isn't on CD-ROM. You just do this:

Firstly you need the following MP3 files. Either rip these from CD if you have the original CDs or download them:

"Change The World" by The Offspring
"All I Want" by The Offspring
"Way Down the Line" by The Offspring
"Hear It" by Bad Religion
"Inner Logic" by Bad Religion
"Ten In 2010" by Bad Religion
"Them And Us" by Bad Religion

Replace the files in the crazytaxi/SoundFiles/music folder as follows (download the MP3s and rename... you can edit them as per the arcade original if you're sad (like me!) or keep them full-length):

charsel.mp3 => Hear It by Bad Religion

charsel_loop.mp3 => not sure where/if used in game so doesn't need replacing!

game1.mp3 => Way Down the Line by The Offspring

game2.mp3 => All I Want by The Offspring

game3.mp3 => Them And Us by Bad Religion

game4.mp3 => Ten In 2010 by Bad Religion

name_loop.raw => opening drums of Change The World by The Offspring, NOTE: needs to be 22KHz .RAW audio format, not .WAV or .MP3. Use Cool Edit or similar to convert. Or leave the drums that come with the game as they're similar...

replay.mp3 => Inner Logic by Bad Religion

NOTE: ordering the game1 to game4 tracks as above should give the same play order as the arcade original. However if you wish you could replace those MP3s with any music you like for a different experience!

Now as for replacing Crazy Taxi 3's soundtrack... well that's a different matter...

Ice

Reply 18 of 25, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh and regarding Chankast, I ran Ikaruga on it fairly speedily. However there is one MAJOR thing everyone should be aware of: no CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive will read DC GD-ROM discs.

So don't go buying DC games, you'll have to snag warez ones currently 🙁 - this is bad as it promotes piracy and means I can't play any of my real DC games on Chankast!

Actually you can dump games but you either need a broadband adaptor or a dev cable. However the cable approach will take 24 hours to rip!!

Ice

Reply 19 of 25, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! Thanks VirtuaIceMan! Ya now I didn't know D.C Format wouldn't read in a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM. Bammer! 😢

So it looks like im not getting Dreamcast Emu exp. anytime soon! Double Bammer! 😢

Thanks for letting me know that very valuble info VirtuaIceMan! As I figured it would be a readable format in the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM like PSX & stuff, so if its not NTSC what are they or what were they made on?