VOGONS

Crazy prices for some retro hardware stuff.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 124, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vvbee wrote:

By the way, for buy it now items, you also want to consider the time it took to sell. You can forget about the ones that sold within ten minutes.

Hmm I have sold well over 6000 items on ebay over the years. Some as buy it now that sold in minutes (if i got really lucky) or a few hours. Some that took ages. I've sold all sorts of things from old vinyl records to a full size fork lift truck! So I'm not sure a quick sale means anything special

Reply 21 of 124, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The highest price tags wait for the dude that has to have the item, wants to skip any process, and doesn't much care about the cost.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 22 of 124, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What keeps amazing me is the premium that enthusiasts are willing to pay for high end hardware, special editions or well known brands of hardware.

Reply 23 of 124, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SETBLASTER wrote:

pentium Pro motherboard + pentium pro 200 cpu (just motherboard with cpu) $100 dollars

To be fair, pentium pros have $42 worth of gold in them, so $100 for a pro + board isn't so unreasonable.

Reply 25 of 124, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

pentium pros have $42 worth of gold in them

Only theoretically, because you also need to spend some money to extract it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26 of 124, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SETBLASTER wrote:

from a retro perspective is a voodoo5 even worth to have? knowing that geforce2 was better.

That is highly debatable. You're right — there are many cheaper cards that are much better for games released after 2000. However, Voodoo 5 is valuable as the fastest card for running Glide games. You get higher resolutions and extra features like FSAA.

PCI version is probably preferable — AFAIK it's not slower than the AGP card, and it's a lot more versatile. You can stick it in more modern motherboards without having to worry about AGP compatibility. You can also use it alongside a better AGP card.

But no way one should pay freaking 500 USD for that.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 27 of 124, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo5 PCI with box. $520 dollars Fair asking price, PCI version is very rare even more so with a box.
pentium Pro motherboard + pentium pro 200 cpu (just motherboard with cpu) $100 dollars Fair asking price, even cheap considering the recent uptick in PPro interest; it's a fairly uncommon generation of hardware.
radeon 9800XT , no box, $200 dollars. Absolute ripoff, worth no more than $50, I would not pay over $25 without a box personally.
Media vidion PAS16 with box $150 dollars If it is a genuine Mediavision card with the box it would easily fetch $100 from a collector. $150, not so sure.
soundblaster awe32 in box $130 dollars Same as above, but if it is a highly sought after AWE32 model then the price could be fair.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28 of 124, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:
SETBLASTER wrote:

pentium Pro motherboard + pentium pro 200 cpu (just motherboard with cpu) $100 dollars

To be fair, pentium pros have $42 worth of gold in them, so $100 for a pro + board isn't so unreasonable.

From what the gold refiners say you will get .3 grams of gold from a PPro CPU so at the current $39 a gram that is $11.70.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 30 of 124, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

How much would be a fair price for a super socket 7 motherboard?

What chipset?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31 of 124, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Baoran wrote:

How much would be a fair price for a super socket 7 motherboard?

What chipset?

soyo sy-5ema+ motherboard so that makes it MVP3 chipset, I think

Reply 32 of 124, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATX SS7 board? Around 50-75$, but you probably can find an AT SS7 board locally much lower.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 33 of 124, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

look at sold listings (in advanced search) to learn at what prices stuff gets actually sold, instead of looking at what they want it to sell at 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 34 of 124, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried to buy a Vectra Pentium 233MHz MMX with no HD yesterday... it was listed for $135 shipped. Made an offer for $80, he countered with $120. Declined. I checked it later and he bumped the price to $150.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 35 of 124, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, quite a few people tend to do this, it's one of the reasons why the prices of some things increase. If they see there is somebody that wants to buy their stuff they will assume they have something valuable and will increase the price. It happened to me quite a few times, sellers that had items that weren't special at all and the price was too high. The scenario went almost like this: the seller has an item listed with a high price, after a while they see that no one is interested, they decreased the price, but the price is still too high. After some more time they decease the price even more and/or write that they are open to offers. I make them a deceent offer, they do no accept and, soon after, the price is increased above the initial (high) price 😀

Reply 36 of 124, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to ask because it has been bothering me for a while: are the prices for IBM PS/2 parts real (shipping & customs fees not included) on Ebay? Do people really pay these prices somewhere?
I only ask because I needed some parts for my PS/2 model 57 and these prices are insane.

$220 for IBM PS/2 clicky?
$160 for PS/2 model 57 power supply?
$100 for 2.88 MB IBM floppy drive?
$50 for IBM ESDI cable?
$150 for IBM PS/2 switch assembly?
$220 for IBM SCSI hard drive?

Most of these parts cost more than a complete IBM PS/2 computer. Why?

Reply 39 of 124, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SETBLASTER wrote:

Voodoo5 PCI with box. $520 dollars

Probably about right. That version of the V5 is a unicorn. With the box, it's a real collector's item.

SETBLASTER wrote:

Overpriced. Should be $70ish. You can get them on ebay for $80 with a heatsink and fan.

SETBLASTER wrote:

radeon 9800XT , no box, $200 dollars.

Ridiculous. This is a $100 at its best on ebay.

SETBLASTER wrote:

Media vidion PAS16 with box $150 dollars

Ridiculous. $100 at best.

SETBLASTER wrote:

soundblaster awe32 in box $130 dollars

Could be fair, depending on which version.

That said, all these prices are "ebay fair".
He should cut them all by 10% because he's not selling them on ebay and therefore not paying Final Value Fees.
He should ALSO cut them even lower because he doesn't offer buyer protection like Ebay does, and his target audience isn't worldwide. He's unlikely to sell ANYTHING at these prices without Ebay's help reaching a bigger audience.