VOGONS

First post, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any way to force display output in Windows 98 and/or DOS not to stretch/scale/change aspect ratio when connecting a widescreen monitor, or do you just have to get a monitor with a standard aspect ratio (i.e. 4:3 or the 5:4 with some flat panels)? I would prefer no stretching or scaling at all, even if it means a black border all around or bars at the sides; I can tolerate scaling so long as the aspect ratio is maintained; but, I *hate* a standard ratio picture getting stretched to a widescreen display.

Reply 1 of 11, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Armand Karlsen wrote:

Is there any way to force display output in Windows 98 and/or DOS not to stretch/scale/change aspect ratio when connecting a widescreen monitor

no.

or do you just have to get a monitor with a standard aspect ratio (i.e. 4:3 or the 5:4 with some flat panels)?

yes.
just buy old square 4:3 monitor.
even better - old CRT monbitor.

Reply 2 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MERCURY127 wrote:
no. […]
Show full quote
Armand Karlsen wrote:

Is there any way to force display output in Windows 98 and/or DOS not to stretch/scale/change aspect ratio when connecting a widescreen monitor

no.

or do you just have to get a monitor with a standard aspect ratio (i.e. 4:3 or the 5:4 with some flat panels)?

yes.
just buy old square 4:3 monitor.
even better - old CRT monbitor.

This is not entirely true:

In case of NVIDIA cards (using DVI) you can disable scaling in DOS/fullscreen Win9x DOS Boxes:
How to disable on-chip scaling on nVidia VGA when using LCD monitor @DVI-D
http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm#NVSC

You can also find some 16:10/16:9 widescreen monitors that have dedicated button/setting to set 4:3 aspect ratio regardless of video modes/resolutions.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many widescreen monitors have an option in the menu to force the ratio to 4:3 (or 5:4, and sometimes something else), as well as "1:1" (no scaling) or "Aspect" options.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 11, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my monitor have these option (aspect) in OSD, but its not selectable whne it most need (320x200 and 720x400 issue). so "some 16:10/16:9 widescreen monitors that have dedicated button/setting" is not GENERIC monitor. and no warranty that "some monitor" have better quality imgae then generic...

In case of NVIDIA cards (using DVI) you can disable scaling in DOS/fullscreen Win9x DOS Boxes:
How to disable on-chip scaling on nVidia VGA when using LCD monitor @DVI-D
http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm#NVSC

thank, its look interesting.
but:
- what card need, old tnt/gf2/3/4? or revert, only new GTX?
- what do with new (old) nv card, or intel/ati?
- what do with dsub/dp/hdmi?
ie, again its NOT GENERIC solution.

so i can repeat only - buy/use normal cheap 4:3 monitor, and no more problems...

Reply 5 of 11, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The specific monitor is a Dell E248WFP. I checked the OSD and there's an option to force aspect ratio or 1:1 (no stretch or scale, my preferred option) but it's not selectable, I suspect because I'm currently running it on a modern GTX 760 through DVI. The retro box be running through VGA, so the situation might change, but yeah I think I may need to invest in a standard ratio monitor.

Reply 6 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Many widescreen monitors have an option in the menu to force the ratio to 4:3 (or 5:4, and sometimes something else), as well as "1:1" (no scaling) or "Aspect" options.

This is the best answer. I just checked in both of the AOC monitors I have on my desk and they both allow aspect ratio selection, I have a 98 rig hooked up over DVI and select "19" 4:3" mode. It doesn't quite fill the vertical height but still.. it's 19 inches.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MERCURY127 wrote:
my monitor have these option (aspect) in OSD, but its not selectable whne it most need (320x200 and 720x400 issue). so "some 16: […]
Show full quote

my monitor have these option (aspect) in OSD, but its not selectable whne it most need (320x200 and 720x400 issue). so "some 16:10/16:9 widescreen monitors that have dedicated button/setting" is not GENERIC monitor. and no warranty that "some monitor" have better quality imgae then generic...

- what card need, old tnt/gf2/3/4? or revert, only new GTX?
- what do with new (old) nv card, or intel/ati?
- what do with dsub/dp/hdmi?
ie, again its NOT GENERIC solution.

so i can repeat only - buy/use normal cheap 4:3 monitor, and no more problems...

Correct me if I'm wrong but op asked: 'Is there any way...?'. So opposing your categorical 'No' answer I just mentioned that yes, there are special ways. I did not claim these solutions are 'GENERIC' whatever it means...
My LG Flatron W2242T has a dedicated '4:3 in Wide' button that always works in any video mode under any OS. I think it's a GENERIC monitor if my guess about the meaning of the GENERIC term is right...
Also if I wanted to be pedantic I would mention that newest video cards do not have analog VGA connectors anymore so buying old 4:3 monitors is not a GENERIC solution anymore 😀

Concerning the Geforce NVSC utility I think it works with any Geforce cards that has digital connectors (when the monitor is also connected to the card through a digital interface). I have tested it with Geforce 6600, 7600 GT and GTX 960 using both DVI and HDMI connections and all worked well.

Reply 8 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Armand Karlsen wrote:

The specific monitor is a Dell E248WFP. I checked the OSD and there's an option to force aspect ratio or 1:1 (no stretch or scale, my preferred option) but it's not selectable, I suspect because I'm currently running it on a modern GTX 760 through DVI. The retro box be running through VGA, so the situation might change, but yeah I think I may need to invest in a standard ratio monitor.

I just tested VGA on my monitor (AOC G2770PQU) and the aspect ratio options all remained the same for me as they did over DVI :\. I expect you are right and will need a different monitor to scale older machines.

It would be interesting to know what an affordable panel is that would do 4:3 at the full vertical height of the monitor if there are any for future reference.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 9 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

It would be interesting to know what an affordable panel is that would do 4:3 at the full vertical height of the monitor if there are any for future reference.

As I have mentioned above the LG Flatron W2242T monitor I have provides this feature regardless of video modes/OS settings or connection type (it supports VGA and DVI):
Here's a test video about it:
https://youtu.be/TjByogzjN-Y

Reply 10 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Armand Karlsen wrote:

It is very likely that the monitor will not do that over DVI as it is a modern, digital signal. If it has the option, VGA will likely enable it.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build