VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'd like to know which mobile tech you have and usually take around your day. Which one you consider essential and you could not live without when you go outside, like phones, smartphones, multimedia players,smartwatches, gps or whatever. And did mobile tech changed in bad or good your life?
From a principle point of view lately I'm trying to try myself if/I can live almost without any advanced mobile tech beside a gsm only phone with basic mp3 multimedia capability, sometimes even without this. When I see people driving their car while checking their social networks updates I am even more motivated in this.

Thank

Reply 1 of 9, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, I can't leave home for long without a portable music player! Be it a tape walkman, a CD walkman, a MD, a MP3 player (<3 my purple NW-A1000), or at worst a slim MP3 collection in my Android phone's sd card, anything will do as long as it has a 3.5mm headphone jack... Since I started to make a living out of computers, I seem to have stopped using the "smart" sections of my smartphone, and my (ab)use of social networking services has dwindled. (Might have to do with growing up?)

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 2 of 9, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally speaking...No mobile tech is essential, guess, it is more of a convenience, like the GPS. And of course the Calls. Given the choice, I would gladly settle with a basic phone(& peace of mind) as opposed to a pocket size computer trying its very best to grab most of our time(of course it isn't the truth, we only let it happen).

386SX wrote:

From a principle point of view lately I'm trying to try myself if/I can live almost without any advanced mobile tech beside a gsm only phone with basic mp3 multimedia capability, sometimes even without this.

Many people may not agree. But that's a wonderful thing, if you succeeded. All the best. Due to work requirements, I have to use the 'smart' part of the phone. If it wasn't for the work requirement, I would have gladly settled with a basic phone. I almost hurt my eyes permanently while squinting at the small fonts on social media apps & youtube (when viewed on a smartphone) in the past few months(when I wasn't active on vogons 🤣 ).

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 3 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My smart phone is the only thing I'd consider essential. And that's because it's the only phone I have (no land line anymore). Having Internet access every where I go is also fantastic.

I have a tablet but I never take it anywhere and barely use it. Haven't gotten into smart watches yet and don't really see a reason to. My phone does everything I need.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 9, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote:

My smart phone is the only thing I'd consider essential. And that's because it's the only phone I have (no land line anymore). [...] My phone does everything I need.

Same here, plus I have two tablets. A Sony Xperia Tablet Z and a Z2. Use the Z2 regularly to watch movies in the bed and to browse the web.

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Buy tablets before I go on deployments to use for comics or movies during travel but gift them the following Christmas since I have no use for them.
Been using an Ipod since the 3rd gen in my vehicle to listen to my offline music. (Don't listen to the radio since adverts annoy me and trying to find songs is annoying on the radio)
Use a smartphone but mainly for the hotspot, although sometimes I painfully browse the Internet on it when I'm out. (Phone is always in do not disturb mode with the ringer turned off)
I use Google Maps since I live in a very big city so it's difficult to find your way around and the traffic is so horrible.
Don't see a point in smartwatches since they seem like a way to constantly annoy you with messages and yet another device to take care of.

Ipod
Think I purchased this back in 2003. Before that I never actively listened to music. If someone had the radio on then fine but I never really bothered. I still only listen to it mostly in the vehicle and mabye once in awhile on youtube.

Phone
Purchased my first flip phone back in 2003. Used it for dial up access and voice but rarely. Can't remember first smart phone probably Verizon in 2005?. Really don't use it much since apps annoy me. Use the hotspot and VPN. Use the browser when I have to. Google Maps is useful. Uber when I'm traveling. Since smartphone security and network security are so lax try not to do much with them.
Had the option of getting a work phone as well but that's yet another device I'd have to deal with so turned it down. Think work has only called me twice in the past 3 years on my personal cell.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gandhig wrote:

Many people may not agree. But that's a wonderful thing, if you succeeded. All the best. Due to work requirements, I have to use the 'smart' part of the phone. If it wasn't for the work requirement, I would have gladly settled with a basic phone. I almost hurt my eyes permanently while squinting at the small fonts on social media apps & youtube (when viewed on a smartphone) in the past few months(when I wasn't active on vogons 🤣 ).

Most friends does not agree with this. I was really interested in mobile technology when Symbian os was a great o.s. and most people still had a basic gsm phone but just like for the desktop computer segment in the 90's, as long as it was an -"expert" only- technology segment it was interesting to follow its evolution, but when it became a mass market priority I lost interest in it. The more these high end tech become "essential for your life (equal you must buy it)", the more I become interested in the cheapest lowest end of the market where it's still possible to see low-level hardware and software running with few computing resources.

Reply 9 of 9, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> 1, the quantity of like-minded people in this forum from my perspective...well, looking in a broader sense. Naturally, that’s the reason(repeated already many times...still), I prefer only this forum and stay active(albeit the least...relatively) in it...obviously, when nothing life-changing is happening. Recalling and thanking, as on date partly/fully non-functional, GT520 (or) should I thank myself as the decision to buy it was mine (or) is it something unknown yet...but, all those cases, without any expectations, well, almost 🤣 . Jumping into the imaginary shield and as an extra precaution, grabbing Magneto’s helmet... 🤣

Apologising for the off-topic'ness. 😐

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain