VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow. It's been a looooong time since I last used Basilisk. So I downloaded the latest version today so I could start identifying the games that I have for the MAC. Looks like the latest versions have JIT and it's MUCH faster than before.

To give you an idea of how fast....
e
Right now I am "playing" Star Trek Borg in Basilisk! For those who don't know what Star Trek Borg is. It's a Star Trek "game" released way back in 1996. It's almost entirely FMV (Full Motion Video), and at times it will stop and let you decide which route you want to take (almost like a Choose Your Own Adventure Book).

I remember when this "game" first came out, buying it for my 486DX4/100 and marvelling at FMV on my PC. That's pretty much the only real benefit of this game although watching "Q" prance around is kinda of interesting.

Anyway this "game" is running very well under Basilisk on my XP 2800+.....except for the CTD's (MAC desktop anyway), that I get occasionally requiring saving often.

The error I receive:
"The application "unknown" has unexcpectedly quit, because an error of type 4 occured".

heh. Just as helpful as MS error messages......

I'm going to go through all the Basilisk options and see if I can get it running stably but anyone with Mac OS System 7.5.5 and Basilisk experience is welcome to chime in since my experience is mostly with PC's.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 11, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where did you get it from? I haven't seen any news about new releases, and the latest I have is still 0.8 something.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 3 of 11, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not always the sharpest knife in the cutlery set with these things 😉

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 5 of 11, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or in Win2k. Now you mention it, I do recall trying this build and giving up on it for precisely that reason.

That and it kept crashing on me for no good reason.

Reply 6 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, I did have problems with some versions crashing. Supposedly the ones with JIT were the ones that were supposed to be crash prone, but not in my case. The website mentioned above has the version that works stably for me. (except of couse for the game version which I don't think it's the emulators fault).

Fullscreen works fine if you set it in the Display tab in the Basilisk GUI.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you use the version from the link above (BasiliskII-1.0-0.3.win32.zip) or have you compiled it yourself?

Cause on E-maculation forum they say fullscreen doesn't work with this^ build:
http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2855
http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2636

For those still wanting fullscreen mode with the new SDL builds, a brief excerpt from the SDL website mentions why fullscreen is […]
Show full quote

For those still wanting fullscreen mode with the new SDL builds, a brief excerpt from the SDL website mentions why fullscreen isn't ready to go and offers a possible solution. I do not know however if this requires a recompile or if it can be included in a command line argument.

Q: Why doesn't SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen() work on Windows?
A: The semantics of SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen() are that switching between fullscreen and windowed mode is transprent to the application. The display pixels pointer does not change, the display depth does not change, etc. This cannot be guaranteed on Windows. However, there is a simple method you can use to change between fullscreen and windowed mode:
flags ^= SDL_FULLSCREEN;
screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(..., flags);

And also what is your screen setting in BasiliskII_prefs? Cause the GUI was made for a DirectX version of BasiliskII and doesn't fully work with the SDL version.

Reply 10 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fullscreen is back 😀
And selecting your own resolution is back too (most games uses 640x400 - that resolution was not available with the previous version) 😀
And the new GUI compatible with the new version 😀

Prince of Persia I - works fine with correct sound and music. The screen makes a blue flash often without a reason.

Prince of Persia II - still has too slow cutscenes and too slow background music 🙁
I think it may have something to do with:
WARNING: RmvTime(01f8852c): Descriptor not found
(by the way - with this version the game works only with cpu 68020, and crushes basilisk instantly with 68030 and 68040)

Prince of Persia II Demo - cutscenes and music are with proper speed

There is also something wrong with drawing top menu while playing games (it was ok with the previous version).

Reply 11 of 11, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Argh, Prince of Persia 2 is still too slow to play with music 🙁

By the way, I've installed the Classic environment in a Mac Mini running Tiger and PoP2 is still slow as molasses! AAARGH!

Does the G4 have any advantage over x86 when emulating a 680x0 CPU?

Kind regards.