VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I mentioned my Voodoo 3 2000 going bad previously.

I got a replacement. The replacement however is a Voodoo 3 1000 (which I didn't even know existed until ebay searching) and before buying it, I did extensive googling to make sure this wasn't some knock-off.

I have the 1000 now. Only thing is the 2000 was 16mb according to the boot-up screen, whereas the 1000 is only 8mb, and... I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

My original thought was "this'll hold me over until I can get another V3 2000 or get my original fixed" but as time goes on, two thoughts keep coming to my mind:

1. I so far don't even know if the extra MB of the 2000 even made a difference as none of my games perform differently (though I haven't tried any Glide-specific games)

2. I have a second PC now--a Dell GX260 which is 2.8ghz and has a Geforce 4 ti4200 and dualboots 98se and XP--and I imagine any game the older PC can't run, the newer PC can.

So... question: If you guys were in my shoes, would you be happy with the replacement card and go out and give it all the heatsinks and fans you can, or would you hold out for a better Voodoo 3?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a whole lot of personal experience with these specific cards, but if I were you I'd be happy with the 3dfx Voodoo 3 1000 and put a nice fan on it. You're Dell is probably able to at least run the games that your 3dfx Voodoo 3 1000 can't run. The Glide games might not look as nice on a GeForce 4 4200Ti though, as I don't think the GeForce 4 4200Ti supports the Glide API. 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 2 of 6, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hard to say. I have a Voodoo II SLI setup with 8 MB cards. In stuff like Quake III Arena choosing the highest texture quality tanks performance as there isn't enough VRAM, and it has to swap it in from system memory. If you're playing stuff as modern as Quake III then you may wanna get a 16MB card (I'm fine with the lower texture quality).

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glide games will be the deciding factor.
The GF4 is a better card all round excluding glide.
Even then you have the option on nglide, which may out perform your original Voodoo 3 2000
Then it will come down if you prefur the real thing or using nglide to emulate the voodoo

Reply 5 of 6, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Arctic - here's the ebay listing of the card I bought. Pretty sure its a V3 1000 but he could've always mislisted it. I also did read this is the only V3 that can come in 8mb forms.

@whole topic... for something like Quake 3 I think I'd play that on my Dell. I don't think this comp is gonna play anything more recent than the original Half-Life, though I do like me some Unreal Tournament vs bots.

On my older gaming PC, I typically never use resolutions higher than 800x600 and I tend to stick with 16-bit color (even though my old V3 2000 gave me the option for 32bit color in Windows even though everything I've read said it didn't support it... not sure how that works).

Last edited by EdmondDantes on 2018-11-22, 03:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo 3 1000 comes with 16MB, the Velocity 100 with 8MB.

Gateway had Voodoo 3 1000 8mb. Same PCB as Velocity 100, but both TMUs are unclocked due to different DeviceID.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.