VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 660 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying some more Sins of a Solar Empire it seems I made a mistake last time when trying DefaultEnumeratedResolutions = none , it works, sort of. Look here:

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellio 2018-11-22 16-19-52-69.jpg
Filename
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellio 2018-11-22 16-19-52-69.jpg
File size
169.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's two obvious problems. First 1024x768 is listed four times which is obviously wrong and second no refresh rates are listed.

Compare to my earlier post with custom resolutions (which I still don't understand why appear at all):
WIP versions
And there's something interesting. Refresh rates are listed, but each refresh rate is listed four times.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth also lists each resolution four times.

Still confused. Natively each resolution is only listed once.

Reply 661 of 1111, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also GT legend works, however the steam version is a bit wonky to launch.
since GT legend use some sort of compatibility patch stuffed inside an exe file, there is difference between running the game normal , trough steam or with admin.

Not sure if you know about that little quirk, but after you set up your dgvoodoo and use 1gb vram, run video configuration from the steam game launch button.
Set then your desire resolution and press OK.
The game should now launch with the new saved config tailor to dgvoodoo's wrapper.

Reply 662 of 1111, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just to point out. Star Trek Elite Force 2 Qindie->dgvoodoo upscale (1280x720 to 4xDSR) seems to work nice, only played a little of first mission which seems very graphic intense, but works smooth.
Finally I can read the text and see the huds in game without using a microscope.
no gliches as far as I known, only the 1 pixel wide line in main menu.

Reply 663 of 1111, by syhlif32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
batterymandark wrote:
Also GT legend works, however the steam version is a bit wonky to launch. since GT legend use some sort of compatibility patch s […]
Show full quote

Also GT legend works, however the steam version is a bit wonky to launch.
since GT legend use some sort of compatibility patch stuffed inside an exe file, there is difference between running the game normal , trough steam or with admin.

Not sure if you know about that little quirk, but after you set up your dgvoodoo and use 1gb vram, run video configuration from the steam game launch button.
Set then your desire resolution and press OK.
The game should now launch with the new saved config tailor to dgvoodoo's wrapper.

Thanks.thought I tried everything. Didn't try the gtr2 steam version.
On a road trip so will re test after the weekend.

Reply 664 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Half-Life 2 (Steam):

hl2 2018-11-22 21-32-23-80.jpg
Filename
hl2 2018-11-22 21-32-23-80.jpg
File size
273.7 KiB
Views
File license

Yeah freaky invisible guy, complain about ME being sneaky 🙁

You need to go all the way down to dxlevel 80 (dx level 81 doesn't work) to get characters to render:

hl2 2018-11-22 21-53-58-62.jpg
Filename
hl2 2018-11-22 21-53-58-62.jpg
File size
345.59 KiB
Views
File license

On the plus side resolution forcing sort of works. It isn't nice in menus.

Reply 665 of 1111, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested Double Fine Studios games. I think they all use Buddha engine.

Stacking (GOG), The Cave (Steam) and Costume Quest (GOG) all give a popup error message that says that Pixel Shader 3.0 is required. 😢

The special thing about these games is that they have builtin SSAA support. You have to run the game executables with -ssaa2x or -ssaa4x command line argument to enable SSAA. The Cave's SSAA can also be enabled through the ingame settings menu.

Dege, can you reverse engineer the SSAA implementation in these games and implement SSAA as an option into dgVoodoo? SSAA truly looks awesome in these games. I hope we can port that awesomeness into other games through the magic of dgVoodoo.

I also tested Psychonauts Demo and Psychonauts Full Version GOG using dgVoodoo WIP53. Both Psychonauts versions crash on my pc when Fast Vid mem access is enabled. Without Fast Vid mem, they work but I get texture flickering. Texture flickering is obvious outside at the beginning of the game (right after the dream cutscene, wooden path to the classroom/obstacle course). There is no SSAA option in Psychonauts.

ZellSF, I know that you tested Psychonauts previously and got a crash during profile creation. Did you test WIP53 and got texture flickering like I did? Does Fast vid mem access works for you in this game? Just test the demo when you have the time. I got the same issues both in the demo and the gog version.

Reply 667 of 1111, by Dreadmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Halo: Custom Edition works pretty well now, but some effects are missing, e.g. lens flare from the sun and the glow from a charging plasma pistol.

Unlike every other method I've tried, dgVoodoo 2 can successfully force MSAA on Halo - with only one minor glitch (that I've noticed), a small bright square at the top-left of the screen when facing certain directions.

OpenSauce and dgVoodoo seem to be incompatible, using both results in a crash (afterwards the game can launch in "safe mode", but many objects are not rendered). Chimera works without issues.

Windows 10 64-bit | Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB | Samsung S23A700D, 1920x1080@120Hz | Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Reply 668 of 1111, by Ithilin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game 'GUN' seem to work great in D3D9.

Only issue I can tell is there is an odd line running up atop my character. If I turn off 'fullscene effects' in the graphics options this seems to fix it.

Attachments

Reply 670 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ithilin wrote:

Only issue I can tell is there is an odd line running up atop my character. If I turn off 'fullscene effects' in the graphics options this seems to fix it.

Is antialiasing on or not? If I understand you correctly, that's an issue I only got with antialiasing on.

Reply 672 of 1111, by Ithilin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Ithilin wrote:

Is antialiasing on or not? If I understand you correctly, that's an issue I only got with antialiasing on.

Yes anti-aliasing is forced through the dgVoodoo Control Panel.

The game has post processing effects it activates from the 'fullscreen effects' option in the menus which causes that line issue. It's probably just an artifact of mixing the anti-aliasing with the games post processing.

My mistake, I forgot to add that I activated that.

Reply 673 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CoolGamer wrote:

Beyond Good & Evil does have some compatibility problems and flickering on modern systems when some options (such as Hardware vertex processing) are enabled. Currently the only solution is to turn off HW vertex processing.

The bad news is it still has the flickering problem even through dgVoodoo. I fixed some things and the demo now works perfectly, except the polygon flickering. I thought it's a bug somewhere in dgVoodoo so I've been debugging it for hours. I think the game overwrites some vertex data that the GPU is working on because the flickering does not come when
- I either run it through the debug version of dgVoodoo (rendering is much slower on the CPU side so the GPU finishes its work before the overwrite)
- or I disable hw vertex buffers inside dgVoodoo (not an available option, it's only for me for debugging purposes - vertex data is copied when Draw* calls are issued so the game cannot overwrite it)
🙁

Reply 677 of 1111, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
The bad news is it still has the flickering problem even through dgVoodoo. I fixed some things and the demo now works perfectly, […]
Show full quote
CoolGamer wrote:

Beyond Good & Evil does have some compatibility problems and flickering on modern systems when some options (such as Hardware vertex processing) are enabled. Currently the only solution is to turn off HW vertex processing.

The bad news is it still has the flickering problem even through dgVoodoo. I fixed some things and the demo now works perfectly, except the polygon flickering. I thought it's a bug somewhere in dgVoodoo so I've been debugging it for hours. I think the game overwrites some vertex data that the GPU is working on because the flickering does not come when
- I either run it through the debug version of dgVoodoo (rendering is much slower on the CPU side so the GPU finishes its work before the overwrite)
- or I disable hw vertex buffers inside dgVoodoo (not an available option, it's only for me for debugging purposes - vertex data is copied when Draw* calls are issued so the game cannot overwrite it)
🙁

Dege, thanks for looking into Beyond Good & Evil. It is sad to hear that there is flickering even with dgVoodoo. I did some more research reading the guides on the web. On my system, if I set "Maximum Pre-rendered Frames to 1" through nVidia Inspector, the flickering stops. I turned all game options to ON/Maximum through the game's SettingsApplication.exe and still no flickering. I tested this in Beyond Good & Evil Full GOG and Uplay versions.

Does setting "Maximum Pre-rendered Frames to 1" solution give you any additional insights regarding the flickering issue?

Reply 678 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UT 3 error!

Critical: appError called:
Critical: Device does not support 1x32 FP render target format.
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Log: === Critical error: ===
Device does not support 1x32 FP render target format.

Reply 679 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Crysis
Crashes during loading. Not that I expected this to work.

Empire Earth III
dgVoodoo:

EE3 2018-11-25 16-14-39-69.jpg
Filename
EE3 2018-11-25 16-14-39-69.jpg
File size
108.99 KiB
Views
File license
EE3 2018-11-25 16-14-52-59.jpg
Filename
EE3 2018-11-25 16-14-52-59.jpg
File size
101.24 KiB
Views
File license

Native:

EE3 2018-11-25 16-17-24-21.jpg
Filename
EE3 2018-11-25 16-17-24-21.jpg
File size
136.71 KiB
Views
File license
EE3 2018-11-25 16-17-36-75.jpg
Filename
EE3 2018-11-25 16-17-36-75.jpg
File size
136.6 KiB
Views
File license

Several obvious issues here. It's a game that supports shader model 2 and 3 that is limited to 1600x1200, so if it was working in dgVoodoo resolution forcing might be worth the loss of shader model 3 effects. Resolution forcing works, but it has mouse issues that seemed to be solvable by using ClipCursor ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desk … user-clipcursor ) set to the game's resolution.