VOGONS

First post, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Here and there, some videocards, motherboards, soundcards, whatever happens to come by where there are possibilities to add some chips. (usually some type of memory)

Now, it's easy to look for the markings of existing chips and try to find additional ones just like that.
But what would be the best way to find the alternative chips, that would also fit?

So far, i've just been digging google and ebay and aliexpress and went through suggestions of other chips and then compared the datasheets, but it's really slow and tedious process.

Is there a better way to search for alternatives when you only have information of one specific chip?

Thank you!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as memory goes (both ROM and RAM), they're nearly always following some JEDEC standard thus pinout and operation will be same as most other memories.
For other types of chips there's no such kind of standardisation besides 74 and 4000 series logic chips.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I think i'm missing something right now.

Let's take this: http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/All … tor/mXrqqxt.pdf (Found it in previously described way, going to be upgrades for CL5446 gfx)

It doesn't say anything specific about JEDEC standard except packaging... which is 40pin SOJ.

What am i missing?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a standard 16bit wide 256Kbit sized DRAM, other DRAMs with such arrangement have same pinout and work same way and are direct substitutes.

Reply 4 of 5, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

That's a standard 16bit wide 256Kbit sized DRAM, other DRAMs with such arrangement have same pinout and work same way and are direct substitutes.

I've used terms like "256k dram" (and then scanned through datasheets, to get the correct stuff) to find possible options. Is this the best way to do it, or is there maybe some kind of library, where i could maybe even input this example chip and it shows all the alternatives?

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are databooks with listings of part names from various manufacturers but I haven't actually taken any closer looks at them. I tend to exhaust my stash before even thinking of tring to buy new/compatible chips when I would need to know alternative part numbers.