VOGONS

Edited

Topic actions

First post, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Edited.

Last edited by deleted_nk on 2021-01-07, 05:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best overclocking abilities will be found on boards based on the 'extreme' chipsets - X38/X48. P35/P45-based boards should also be good.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just pick some fancy looking ASUS or Gigabyte board based on X38/X48 or P45 chipset. Those are readily available.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 25, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ninkeo wrote:

Hey guys, for my next project of late XP / Vista era gaming I've decided to go with socket 775 instead of 478 / 939 mainly because of cost reasons with graphics cards. Now I'm not overly that familiar with the whats what on the 775 platform, all I know is that there was the earlier intel chipsets that couldn't run a C2D at all. For this build, I'm aiming to push the CPU to its limits. What would be the best chipset / board that can run a Q6600 / 8400 to its limit?

That's the ''problem'' I have with such setups: Because of the availability/price of an older setup you can simply jump a few generations and still run the same software (and even better/faster).
Basically you can just run the same stuff on a current i7 desktop. Feels to me like doing retro rally's in a brand new Ford Focus RS....

For me there is not much ''retro'' or even ''old hardware'' in a 2008 setup, heck, my Seat Leon is from 2008 and far from being a classic car 🤣

I'm getting old...don't mind me and enjoy your setup! 😎

BTW: If you want cheap get a nice modded Xeon core2quad from china for your s775 setup. Just avoid the x38/x48 then and get a p35/p45 board as the first ones can have problems running the modded Xeon's (been there).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 25, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of the best is the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and the other Gigabyte boards of the same series.

X38 and X48 will not run near as high of an FSB reliably.

I had my Q6600 running at 3.84Ghz on my Gigabyte board.

C2D platforms gets pretty sweet with bus speed at 450 or higher.

You will want some DDR2-1066 RAM to go with it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 25, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about the ABIT IP35 Pro? Looks like it has some good OC features.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 7 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about the ABIT IP35 Pro

Late ABIT boards are nothing spectacular and very buggy. You'll be very lucky to achieve 500mhz FSB with Core 2 Duo.
DFI and Biostar P45 boards are quite interesting for overclocking too, but good luck finding them. Also they very quirky to tune.

Biostar Tpower I45 was notorious to achieve 700+ mhz FSB.

Reply 8 of 25, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Late ABIT boards are nothing spectacular and very buggy. You'll be very lucky to achieve 500mhz FSB with Core 2 Duo. DFI and Bio […]
Show full quote

Late ABIT boards are nothing spectacular and very buggy. You'll be very lucky to achieve 500mhz FSB with Core 2 Duo.
DFI and Biostar P45 boards are quite interesting for overclocking too, but good luck finding them. Also they very quirky to tune.

Now that you said it, I wonder how much can I achieve with a DFI Lanparty DK P45. I do have one with a massive Spire Thermax II (kinda looks like a CM 212 EVO) cooler and I could see what it can manage. The chip's already clocked at 3GHz.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 10 of 25, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know how it performs in practice, but my Asus P5Q has A TON of useful options for overclocking in the BIOS. It can also run Xeons and there are some good modded BIOSes floating around for more flexibility. I'm running a Xeon E5440 at the stock 2.83GHz and it is one of the most solid systems I've ever used.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 11 of 25, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

What about the ABIT IP35 Pro? Looks like it has some good OC features.

P35 can't hold a candle to P45 in terms of how high the FSB can be taken, especially on a quad core CPU.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 25, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Late ABIT boards are nothing spectacular and very buggy. You'll be very lucky to achieve 500mhz FSB with Core 2 Duo. DFI and Bio […]
Show full quote

On LN2. How high can it go on air?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is good to see that people are sticking with Intel chipsets for overclocking as Nvidia chipsets are power hogs that said some of the 780/790i boards can clock high provided one manages to deal with the cooling, DDR2-1066 is pretty much the standard for this.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14 of 25, by deleted_nk

User metadata

In theory, if I managed to snag that Asus 780i board, how would it compare to the P35/45 boards, after getting the chipset cooling up to scratch? I imagine there wouldn't be too much difference in OC performance between them but again experience really counts when OC'ing them.

Reply 15 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How high can it go on air?

480-520 with Core 2 Quad and 550+ with Core 2 Duo. I've achieved 540mhz with Core 2 Duo E8400 back when it was still hot stuff.

In theory, if I managed to snag that Asus 780i board, how would it compare to the P35/45 boards

Around 450-500mhz.

I wonder how much can I achieve with a DFI Lanparty DK P45

Same as Biostar - 480+ mhz. But that's FSB alone, without taking into consideration CPU overclock.

Reply 16 of 25, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Ended up snagging that Asus Striker board for a reasonable price, looks like I've gone with nforce here. I've never played with any nforce based board before, so it'll be a bit of a learning experience and an adventure at the same time. Thanks for the suggestions guys, it was greatly appreciated learning about what's the best and whats not in the 775 era 😀

Reply 17 of 25, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ little tip for dealing with nForce: if you get unexplained failures to boot or freezes halfway through POST, try removing ALL USB devices from every possible port FIRST. Especially non-bootable memory sticks. Every nForce thing I've ever owned, from Mac Minis to high-end ASUS SLI boards, has randomly refused to boot with some USB device or other connected.

I'd even recommend going with a PS/2 keyboard & mouse for this reason, especially if you're doing hardcore tweaking and a lot of reboots. Might save you some aggravation.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 19 of 25, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

How high can it go on air?

480-520 with Core 2 Quad and 550+ with Core 2 Duo. I've achieved 540mhz with Core 2 Duo E8400 back when it was still hot stuff.

Ok.. so around what my Gigabyte board can do on air.

I was running my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P at 480fsb (960Mhz DDR2) with my Q6600 G0 .

And that was only because I was hitting the max that CPU would do. I actually still have that board since it has been returned to me after a family member upgraded.

Now I have some newer CPUs (QX9650 being the best) and will try for higher.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK