VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the past I've have different boards that I upgraded to 1MB of memory cache. All of them have the same configuration for TAG memory chip: 64k x 8, like the picture
Sin-t-tulo1.png

Today I decided to update one board (SILICON STAR INTERNATIONAL - ABIT PS5 PCI), but the tag chip is ONLY 32k x 8, like the picture
Sin-t-tulo2.png

Is it possible (only 32kx8) ?

Thanks in advanced

Reply 1 of 6, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the other values (256KB -> 8K, 512KB -> 32K (Probably 16K used)) then 1M -> 32K looks logical.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TAG size determines how much RAM is cacheable, with a small chip (if the conf works) you might only have small part of the memory cacheable and anything beyond will be very slow compared to cacheable region. You want the TAG to be as large as possible and often faster than other SRAMs to ensure things work at tighter timings.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

TAG size determines how much RAM is cacheable, with a small chip (if the conf works) you might only have small part of the memory cacheable and anything beyond will be very slow compared to cacheable region. You want the TAG to be as large as possible and often faster than other SRAMs to ensure things work at tighter timings.

I always thought that cacheable ram amount was determined by how many bits the tag chip has because it defines the address range of the memory that is cached and not the size if it is 32k or 64k.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/cache/charCa … eability-c.html

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right, width is what matters on that regard, size is needed to actually map all the cache lines/blocks into the actual cache memory. Large cache size needs a large TAG. I'm not totally sure how the actual implementations work on most chipsets but size of TAG impacts the size of cache lines/blocks in the cache and in theory a small TAG can still work with large cache that holds large blocks/lines.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜