VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone.

I've an IBM PC 300GL, model 6563. It currently has NUMBER NINE SR9 8MB 2X AGP vga card. It runs fine however it's too low for my needs.
I'd like to play -not so heavy- 3D games and run 3D modelling (nothing professional, just for fun) softwares. Therefore, I need to replace it with one of the following cards, and I'd like to ask which one of them would my IBM work with?
I have no idea if these cards are supported by my IBM (Would PSU power be enough?), and if so, which one would you recommend for best performance?

1- Palit Winfast a340t - 128mb - 64 bit - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 - agp 8x
2- Volar Nvidia FX5500 256MB 128Bit DDR DVI-TV AGP 8x
3- Axle NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5500 AGP 256MB 128 BIT
4- GeForce MX4000 128 MB 128 Bit AGP

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance!
Merry Christmas&Happy New Year!
Best.

Reply 1 of 5, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just find Geforce Ti4200/4400/4600, it easily beats all of your listed cards. Don't worry about the PSU.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 2 of 5, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paadam wrote:

Just find Geforce Ti4200/4400/4600, it easily beats all of your listed cards. Don't worry about the PSU.

Cool card, I'm afraid that it won't be easy to find it here.. Almost impossible.
I just have possibility to get the listed ones above.

Reply 3 of 5, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just buy it from ebay or put WTB ad in amibay..

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of eBay sellers only ship to a limited number of countries, with Iraq/Kurdistan invariably not among them. Maybe he can find someone who will, but I can understand it's not as easy as say for us in the EU. Amibay is a better option - but shipping privately could be pricey (EUR 24.30 with track&trace if I were to ship there...) and I'm not sure track&trace would be reliable. So I can understand wanting to get something locally if possible.

That GL300 seems to have a relabeled Via ApolloPro133A chipset, so that means AGP 2.0 / 4x. Any of the cards would be compatible with the motherboard. PSU is another matter. I don't know what the specs of the PSU are.

In terms of performance out of that list, the FX5500 are the fastest, but only by a thin margin. The FX-series was nVidia's least competitive moment, and it shows. If you could find a Radeon 9600 it would beat the hell out of it for less power draw. If these four really are the only options, I'd almost say go for the cheapest, because none are worth a lot of money and all are a lot faster than the Savage4 you have now.