VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most people who own retro motherboards will eventually run into those pesky Dallas RTC modules.
When the internal battery dies, there are basically two ways to fix it.
1. Replace the RTC module
2. Cut it open and add a CR2032 battery
I just wanted to hear people's opinions on this. What do you think is the best solution? Personally, I'm inclined to just replace the whole RTC module. Seems like the most elegant solution to me. But some might consider that to just be a temporary fix, seeing as the new one will eventually die as well.
So, which method do you prefer?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 27, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For now, I'd be tempted to just replace the RTC module, you can still buy them new with fresh batteries from places like rs-online. Maybe save the old ones and have a crack at modifying the depleted ones to use an external battery when the life of the computer isn't relying on not breaking it.

When they stop making them, then is the time to really worry about modding the old ones.

Edit: of course if you need to desolder the original from the motherboard, I'd put in a socket in before pushing in the replacement, as mentioned in the post below

Last edited by canthearu on 2018-12-30, 13:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 27, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been replacing those modules and with replacement, i have added a socket for it as well in place.

One could dremel and add other battery solution to those modules, but i haven't bothered to do that... yet...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 27, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, if it isn't already socketed, the adding a socket when replacing it would be an obvious choice.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 27, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The modules are very expensive when bought new, it makes no sense for me not to add a battery to one. Cheap stuff on ebay is already past most of their life and will die sooner or later.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 27, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

The modules are very expensive when bought new, it makes no sense for me not to add a battery to one. Cheap stuff on ebay is already past most of their life and will die sooner or later.

Are you saying that the cheap ones listed as "New" on eBay are "new old stock" that may have dead batteries on arrival?
No attempt at sarcasm or anything, I genuinely would like to know.

Reply 6 of 27, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you look on the date codes you see they're some late 90s things or maybe early 2000s but usually at least a decade into their life. The ones you can buy from any big electronics distributor are generally only few years old.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 27, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

When you look on the date codes you see they're some late 90s things or maybe early 2000s but usually at least a decade into their life. The ones you can buy from any big electronics distributor are generally only few years old.

Right, cheers, good to know. I haven't looked that deeply into it. Only briefly searched to see if they were still for sale. My pentium board uses one, but that still seems to work. I am also considering a 386 board I've seen, and I expect it to have a dead RTC, which is why I am looking into options.

Reply 8 of 27, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$20 AU from rs-online delivered isn't really that expensive, compared to price of the boards and processors that you are using them on.

A brand new one will probably last another 10-20 years.

I wouldn't buy one off ebay, simply because they are probably scavenged off old boards and you have no way of knowing how much charge is left in the battery.

Reply 9 of 27, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got two of the cursed things, and I intend on modifying them and adding CR2032 sockets. Not looking forward to desoldering them from their motherboards, though.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 10 of 27, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couldn’t the Dallas be replaced by some custom circuitry? Did anyone ever reverse engineer them? I mean it’s „only“ an RTC. How hard can it be. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 11 of 27, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Couldn’t the Dallas be replaced by some custom circuitry? Did anyone ever reverse engineer them? I mean it’s „only“ an RTC. How hard can it be.

DS12887 drop-in replacement

Reply 12 of 27, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easiest/cheapest option for me was just to desolder the old one and add a DIP socket (got like 20 of them for $5 on ebay), then install a replacement Dallas chip. ($7) Plus, once you have a DIP socket installed, you could add a custom daughter board on to easily hack something together with a custom battery if needed.

Pro tip, you can get brand new manufactured DS12887A's off of Digikey for $10 if you don't like the Chinese ebay option..

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 13 of 27, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know if the DS12887 is compatible with DS1287?

Reply 15 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not looking forward to it but when my 1 and only dallas chip fails I'm doing the CR2032 hack.
With my soldering skills (or lack of) seems like the safer option and permanently solves the problem.

Reply 16 of 27, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Not looking forward to it but when my 1 and only dallas chip fails I'm doing the CR2032 hack.
With my soldering skills (or lack of) seems like the safer option and permanently solves the problem.

Yes, soldering skills can be an issue. I have a 486 board that needs a new keyboard controller. I have the controller, but I need to get a better soldering iron (a soldering station actually) before I dare tackle that.
Last soldering job I did was to change the volum pot in my Akai drum machine, but I somehow think that's less fragile than a motherboard 😁

Reply 17 of 27, by Briggz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know replacing the RTC with new replacement would look neat and tidy but in my opinion its going to go flat again in the future and that means busting out the soldering iron and replacing it again.
I did the cut and grind on my board which wasn't too hard, I don't have a dremel but I did find a small cheap grinding attachment from the hardware store that goes in any cordless drill. It was a slow process but it did the job, I was able to pull the original battery out then solder a new battery holder in place.

It worked out especially handy one time when my computer wouldn't boot/post just blank screen, in a last ditch effort to get it working again I pulled the battery out to reset the bios then put it back in and voila! the computer worked again.

Attachments

• IMG_20190101_092552.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20190101_092552.jpg
    File size
    172.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 27, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow. This looks... interesting. Remind me never to buy a board with a Dallas RTC...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 19 of 27, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd take a board with Dallas RTC anyday over a motherboard using a Ni-CD battery to power the RTC circuit !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative