VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently acquired a PCI ATAPI/RAID controller that is not playing ball with my system. It is currently running an older version of the RAID BIOS, but I believe there are several newer RAID BIOSes and some ATAPI BIOSes (which I actually need because I don't want RAID, but a controller that will run all my HDDs and opticals in ATAPI mode). My plan is to find generic BIOS files for PCI controllers and flash using uniflash..

Unfortunately, ITE's website no longer hosts these. Does anyone know where to find them?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Acquired the files from ITE, in case anyone needs them later..

Attachments

• Filename
    ITEFLASH.zip
    File size
    1.56 KiB
    Downloads
    211 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    bios_8212Raid-093015-02.zip
    File size
    30.45 KiB
    Downloads
    200 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    bios_8212ATAPI-093015-02.zip
    File size
    28.91 KiB
    Downloads
    234 downloads
    File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 12, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because I saw this thread, I bought an ITE8212F (IT8212) PCI ATA-133 Controller, because my new motherboard do not offer any PATA connector anymore.
It was a Lindy 51112 PCI Ultra ATA-133 Controller, which offers RAID functionality also.
Unfortunately this controller does not recognize any removable media drive (ZIP, LS-120) but mainly a LS-120 was the reason I need also PATA.
At boot time, it scans for any IDE device, but the LS-120 (which works properly in an older AM2+ PC) isn't detected.
I guess this is related with a different handling of hard disk drives vs. removable media drives.
So I thought it would be a good idea to flash the controller's BIOS now (with the INT13H.BIN image from this thread).
But at the end of the flash procedure, verify fails. The original BIOS of the controller is still there, unchanged.
There are no jumper to permit flash (or deny). The two JP1 and JP2 are for enabling Primary and Secondary, but for nothing else.
This idiotic original firmware does not offer ANY kind of configuration (you can't press any key for configuration at boot time).
And last but not least, I found a management software for it (within the 51112 archive Lindy offers still), but it's only running on 32bit OS (not x64 compatible, but I am using Win 7 x64).
This is very ugly. I guess I can't do anything but throwing this controller card into the trash can.
My last idea is to insert this piece of sh*t (the controller) into an older PC with a 32bit OS (e.g. Windows XP) and try to configure it with the management software I found.
Do you have any other idea I can rescue the situation ?

P.S.: Added later after a intensely googling session: http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/os-software-fi … oller-card.html <- most of the cards can't be flashed 🙁

Attachments

• ITE8212 BIOS ERROR.JPG
    Filename
    ITE8212 BIOS ERROR.JPG
    File size
    35.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Scanning IDE bus not found nothing (there is a working LS-120 drive connected).
    File license
  • FLASH_ITE.JPG
    Filename
    FLASH_ITE.JPG
    File size
    80.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error message at the end running ITEFLASH on DOS (without HIMEM loaded).
    File license
  • it8212.jpg
    Filename
    it8212.jpg
    File size
    159.15 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

!WE line of the flash chip needs to be isolated and connected to the required pin on the controller, only then will the updates to its BIOS be possible.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 12, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What does that mean ? Isolated means desoldering ? Plug in a Eprom burner (which is able to program flash chips) ? Sounds difficult and it means too much effort (card will be thrown into trash can, as already said).
And there is no "!WE line", the chip is a Holtek HT27C512-70B, which sounds like an one-time programmable EPROM (because there is no small window to erase it with UV light).
Also, I was even not able to *read* out the ROM content with UNIFLASH (contained only zeros).

Reply 8 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cutting a trace to the pin if it is tied to VCC and soldering it to the !WE line from the controller (one of the IDE2 pins) if it already isn't there. But anyway 27C512 is indeed an OTP EPROM so no upgrading that without swapping chips.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 9 of 12, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

!WE means Write Enable (you should not use abbreviations without a first explanation), ok.
Anyway, as you also stated, it will not work with an EPROM. I have bought online another ITE8212 based controller with the "right" PROM content (*not* a RAID BIOS). Next time this should be mentioned before writing such threads (means: Recommend only ITE8212 based IDE controller which are explicitely NOT a RAID controller, instead they should be explicitely ATAPI "non-RAID" controller).

Reply 10 of 12, by alec_v

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a bunch of these controllers in an old company warehouse and decided to add one to my vintage computer (which has an 8 gigabyte limit). Unfortunately, all of these controllers had an ancient RAID BIOS in a OTP ROM soldered on the board. I decided to replace them with FLASH and fresh ATAPI BIOS. Luckily I read the spec sheet on the 39f010 and 27c512 before doing it. They have different pins. After some googling I found a Winbond 27c512 chip which is electrically erasable and I flashed bios_8212ATAPI-093015-02 with my TL866.

appiah4 wrote on 2018-11-07, 22:06:

Acquired the files from ITE, in case anyone needs them later..

THANK YOU!

Attachments

Reply 11 of 12, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alec_v wrote on 2022-11-26, 23:25:

Unfortunately, all of these controllers had an ancient RAID BIOS in a OTP ROM soldered on the board.

Is it really MX 27C512QC is OTP ? I see on the photo "vpp=12.5v" on it.

P.S. Looked up in the datasheet - yes, it is

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]