VOGONS

First post, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think all 512 MB SDRAM DIMMs are registered/ECC? I don't think I've ever seen a normal module that size.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 1 of 12, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

I think all 512 MB SDRAM DIMMs are registered/ECC? I don't think I've ever seen a normal module that size.

I concur, only ones I've got (or seen) are registered/ECC. Only servers would need or make use of multiple lanes of 512MB SDR then, until DDR came to the home. Could be the reason this query went unfulfilled.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 2 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3 or 4 sticks I got are regular non ECC/registered. Most have a bad chip on them unfortunately, they fail memtest in specific locations. I've kept the sticks around for possible revival one day when a donor happens to come by.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mr. horse wrote:

Apollo pro works with them too.

ApolloPro133A, you mean; the original ApolloPro (Via VT82C691) supports max 128Mb chips so no more than 256MB per unbuffered double-sided DIMM.

Reply 9 of 12, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the day (2000-2001) I had 3 different modules, all 512 MB PC 133, they weren't registered or ecc, they worked fine on my ABIT KT7E motherboard. Now I have *a lot* of 512 MB PC133 modules, they are all non ecc, non registered. I also have registered sdram, some are 128 mb, some 256 mb and some 1024. The irony is that I don't have 512 registered 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
Mr. horse wrote:

Apollo pro works with them too.

ApolloPro133A, you mean; the original ApolloPro (Via VT82C691) supports max 128Mb chips so no more than 256MB per unbuffered double-sided DIMM.

Yeah. I was referring to the dual socket 370 chipset like thst used in the abip vp6.

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 11 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My situation is the opposite: I don't have any unbuffered non-ECC 512 MB modules but do have a lot of registered ECC ones, which ironically are useless to me, since the machines that take them can also take 1 GB modules, which are so cheap nowadays there's no reason not to max your server out with them. The 512 MB sticks get left in the spares pile.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 12, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Banggood sells 512MB SDRAM they claim is non-ECC, non-registerred. They are labelled as ValueRAM with a serial number starting with KVR, which is what Kingston ValueRam usually has, but I believe it to be fake.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.