VOGONS

Reply 140 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would think that MU10 is more useful as is (just apply DAC and/or SPDIF mod to it). The main sound chip, DRAM and CPU can be used as is but the chip that does some ROM and ADC+DAC data formatting is different and to what extent I don't know. New ROMs can be burned but that is firmly in illegal realm rather than in the grey area 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 142 of 339, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for ignorace, but what is exactly this DB60XG board, its some wavetable header enhancer midi device for Yamahas only?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 143 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a waveblaster device that you attach to the waveblaster header on any sound card with such to get nice MIDI music over MPU-401. These are internal versions of external MIDI boxes like Roland's SC-55, i.e SCB-55 is the internal version of it and DB50/60XG is internal version of Yamaha MU10 pretty much.

Reply 145 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MU10 definitely has line-in (just checked the manual), or it wouldn't have ADC in it.

Reply 147 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know which came first but they're both functionally equivalent I imagine.

Reply 148 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Box with brackets, sounds chips and connectors has finally reached Estonia and is ready to be picked up when I get back next week ~
Unfortunately I didn't manage to copy latest project files of the sound card on my laptop and i lost the USB stick where they were put and couldn't finalize the revision PCB while away, that is going to happen when I return. By early next month I will have first cards built of the revision.
I was also hit with some bad news, the apartment where I'm in will get sold and sooner or later I have to move out. Timing is poor since most of my money is stuck in these cards and I don't yet know how much time I got in the place. I hope I can finish the building and testing before any moving is gonna happen.

Reply 149 of 339, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Transfer files on flash drive is thing of the past, if files not super big, its good idea place them to cloud - Dropbox (2GB free), OneDrive (5 GB free) or Google drive (15 GB free), its also good as realtime backup.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 150 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sneakernet is convenient and you're supposed to have files in multiple physical carriers and locations.
I stopped using all cloud services after setting up my own server, plus sensitive data will never ever go on any cloud and none of these services are usable from all my computers, only the most modern ones. Space they offer is also highly limited unless you start paying. I have many hundreds of GBytes of stoage on my server, I won't be able to get that at any service unless paying them lots of money.
All sensitive data is securely out of reach from outside world on my server and I forgot to set up any back door to get access when not at home, same as last time I was in Norway hahaha.

Reply 151 of 339, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These arguments seems to be obsolete for me. Because you personal server storage was probably more expensive than online place, its probably less secure for data lost and data breach, unless you are monitoring it and patching it every week.. Unless your files are interested by NSA and such people, they are secure.. because big data breach of these services would be their end or really big money lost, there is security really priority.

You can at least use browser to files upload even on older computers, or setup some synchronization through some machine with more modern OSes, without you probably already have on our server regardless..

Reply 152 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The hardware is no cost, not even low cost, only cost is the internet and electricity bill which remain same with or without the server (couple tens of € at most). As far as security goes, I have full control over what I have now but zero over other solutions plus their terms of service are very much incompatible. Last time the older browsers worked on those services was years ago, by now they will fail with unable to do secure connection or plain not work due to lack of HTML5 or some other reason. You're not gonna get dropbox, onedrive, google drive or any other such thing work on a win3.x or a 95 computer.
There's no point derailing this any further, use whatever you're happy with. I'll stick to what I got, there's no equivalent service for the cost I have in this.

Reply 153 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NewPartsArrived.jpg
NewBrackets.jpg

I have some goodies 😁
The brackets look amazing, the photo I got from my friend suggested some normal grey steel with hand filed holes or something but these look like actual laser cut stuff on nice stainless steel ! I'm most pleased ~

I will start working on the new PCB tomorrow. Still settling in after returning from the trip. The move situation isn't dire luckily, I will not be kicked out and I will be able to stay in my place until the apartment is actually sold. I will be made an offer sometime in future, maybe the place will get bought by me(or rather the parents) but who knows.

I expect I can order the boards and the remaining parts (mostly passives) next week, routing the changes on PCB for the revision isn't going to take tremendous amount of time.

Reply 155 of 339, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is somewhere some online review of this card?

Reply 156 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nobody has written anything yet to my knowledge.

Reply 157 of 339, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote:

Is somewhere some online review of this card?

I will be writing up something on this card, now that I've had it for a few months.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 158 of 339, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird. I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. So you are currently working on another 25 boards? I'd definitely be interested.

I have a question about your SETYMF utility. I remember when using SETUPSA with my cards that the IRQ for the MPU401 would always be fixed at the same IRQ as the SB. Is that a hardware limitation, or just a bug in the SETUPSA utility?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 159 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, 25 boards are going to get made. I'm currently routing the final version and it'll take several more days before it is done.

That's a software limitation of SETUPSA, all YMF71x chips have two IRQs referred to as IRQA and IRQB and they can be wired to WSS, SB, MPU401 or OPL3 without limitations other than one source shouldn't be wired to both IRQs (SETYMF prevents that from being done).