indirect sound

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 228, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote:

Yes, it is. Or why else would there be DirectSound3D Software providers available in the old versions of Miles Sound System?
Selecting any of these result in successful initialization on XP:

1. Yes, I was not precise enough. So more precisely: There is no emulated DirectSound3D on XP that gives you proper 3D positional audio contrary to Win Vista+. I have just tested on an 5.1 setup and none of the Directsound3D emulation modes on XP gives 3d positional audio, while on Win 7/10 Directsound3D software emulation gives proper 3d positional audio.
And this is the point I wanted to say: without hardware acceleration you cannot get proper 3d positional audio on XP, but on later Windows versions you can.

ds3d.jpg
Filename
ds3d.jpg
File size
70.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 141 of 228, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for clarifying! So even though it actually does something, it gives incorrect results. And kills the performance.

Anyone knows how DOOM 3's DirectSound renderer performs on XP? I know you must have 5.1 option selected in Windows sound settings in order for it to work right if you pick Surround option in game's sound settings and that way it does work as expected on Vista+. I'd have to check to be sure, but going from my memory, this one doesn't use DirectSound3D at all, right? But there's an option to use OpenAL where 3D positioning works similarly as in DirectSound3D games plus its OpenAL renderer can use EAX 4.0.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 142 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakcom wrote:

Should there be an inherent reason why (at least with a specific game and on XP), more than stereo wouldn't work when audio "hardware acceleration" is disabled in Windows?

The posts in response to your question have already covered everything, but if you're curious to try it out for yourself you can use this simple little program that I wrote (also mentioned earlier in this thread):

http://www.indirectsound.com/downloads/Software3d.exe

That demonstrates how DirectSound3D behaves with software buffers, which is exactly what will happen when you disable hardware acceleration. As Falcosoft and UCyborg explained you won't hear any surround speakers being utilized when the program is run in XP.

Reply 145 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been working on rewriting a substantial portion of IndirectSound to use Windows Core Audio rather than XAudio2, and while doing so I have moved from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2017. (I originally used 2010 because that was when the last version of the DirectX SDK was released and I figured that anyone who could use DirectSound would be able to use a wrapper DLL made with VS2010 for sure without any additional work. This is no longer true since DirectX has been made part of Windows, and using VS2017 is nice because of the compiler/optimizer improvements since 2010 as well as allowing me to use modern C++ features.)

I am posting here to solicit some help testing. To try and be clear , this current version DOESN'T EMULATE ANYTHING! (I don't want anyone to get their hopes up that I'm asking for help testing EAX (yet... 🤣 ).) At the moment it is a fancy but useless wrapper that merely passes on all calls from games straight to DirectSound (lol). The testing I am interested in has nothing to do with audio behavior; rather, I am interested in verifying that the DLL still works properly with the changes I've made on systems other than mine and that I am correctly detecting audio hardware on systems other than mine. IndirectSound doesn't have its own forums, and I thought VOGONS readers would have a good chance of being interested/willing in trying something and also having a wide variety of Windowses and hardware.

If you would like to help:

I am hoping to learn the following:

• Does it work on all Windows versions since Vista SP1?
    • By "work" I mean does the game run without crashing and without Windows showing any error messages
    • (I currently only have my most recent Windows 10 machine and my old Windows XP machine to test with; it would be nice to confirm that I'm not doing anything that would only work on the latest-and-"greatest" Windows)
  • In the generated dsound.log file is your audio hardware and speaker configuration reported correctly?
    • Of particular interest to me is if your audio device uses Dolby Digital (or similar compression). In that case I would very much like to know both what is reported on the "Audio stream initialized" line and in the "The application initialized a new audio endpoint device" section.

You can feel free to email me directly at indirectsound@gmail.com with any results (or post your findings here if you discover anything that would be interesting to the general public). If you email me I would be appreciative if you would attach the generated dsound.log file.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 147 of 228, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

The registry mod procedure ( https://www.indirectsound.com/registryIssues.html ) is still needed?

I think you'd have to write a background application that uses SetWindowsHookEx to avoid having to do that and throwing DLL in each game's folder.

BTW, it's possible to duplicate needed entries at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID. These are per-user, don't need fiddling with permissions and probably survive OS upgrades.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 149 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

The registry mod procedure ( https://www.indirectsound.com/registryIssues.html ) is still needed?

Yes, that is still needed for those games that create the DirectSound interface using COM functions. Luckily this is a small percentage; most games just use the DirectSound functions.

UCyborg wrote:

I think you'd have to write a background application that uses SetWindowsHookEx to avoid having to do that and throwing DLL in each game's folder.

That might be interesting to play with, although it would be (obviously) more invasive than the way things work now. Maybe one day I'll do some experiments.

UCyborg wrote:

BTW, it's possible to duplicate needed entries at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID. These are per-user, don't need fiddling with permissions and probably survive OS upgrades.

And Windows looks there first and uses any there rather than those at Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID? If so that is a better solution and I should update my instructions...

Reply 150 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jonpol wrote:
lowenz wrote:

UCyborg wrote:

And Windows looks there first and uses any there rather than those at Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID? If so that is a better solution and I should update my instructions...

After some tests and investigation of how HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID is derived from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID it definitely seems better to just change the current user registry. I have updated the registry instructions with the new recommended way. Thanks for the tip, UCyborg! I guess now we wait and see whether Windows updates will leave those registry values alone 🤐

Reply 152 of 228, by deton24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Issue report:
Sound disapearing in GTA SA 1.0.

It happens only with Insanity Audio Pack.
https://www.gtainside.com/en/sanandreas/mods/ … udio-pack-v2-1/
(reequires modloader)
The same issue is on DSOAL, and Alchemy (fixed with buffers=5).
IndirectSound 0.17 is free of the issue.

Reply 153 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
deton24 wrote:
Issue report: Sound disapearing in GTA SA 1.0. […]
Show full quote

Issue report:
Sound disapearing in GTA SA 1.0.

It happens only with Insanity Audio Pack.
https://www.gtainside.com/en/sanandreas/mods/ … udio-pack-v2-1/
(reequires modloader)
The same issue is on DSOAL, and Alchemy (fixed with buffers=5).
IndirectSound 0.17 is free of the issue.

I've been in email contact with deton24 and it sounds like the problem has gone away and is no longer reproducible. If anyone reading this knows anything more about how to get it to happen feel free to let me know.

Reply 155 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Googolplexian wrote:

I prefer DSOAL sound over indirectsound. It fully emulates 3D hardware audio, fixes sound bugs on modern systems and supports more games. Found it on nexusmods.

-> The Wrapper Collection Project + Emulating EAX on any onboard sound hardware?

DSAOL is a simple openal soft based DS wrapper with a EAX2-to-EFX part.

It's good but not full (not EAX 3/4/5) and with all the issues of an OpenAL based solution.

Builds from Vaporeon: http://vaporeon.io/hosted/dsoal-builds/

Reply 156 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Googolplexian wrote:

I prefer DSOAL sound over indirectsound. It fully emulates 3D hardware audio, fixes sound bugs on modern systems and supports more games. Found it on nexusmods.

Glad you found something that works well for you!

If you know of games that don't work with IndirectSound I'm always happy to hear about them (either here or you could send me an email). Sometimes there are problems that I never hear about.

Reply 159 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is 😀

https://www.indirectsound.com/downloads.html

Version 0.20 — 2019-09-21
Changes since the previous version:

Fix how Doppler Factor is used
This fixes the bad engine revving sounds in Drome Racers
This also correctly constrains the amount of frequency change that can happen as a result of Doppler calculations
Fix buffer description copies for old versions of DirectSound
IndirectSound had assumed that buffer descriptions were always the same size as DirectSound 7 or later